• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

USMC1911

I'm in Lincoln City for a weeks vacation, OC'ed at Safway, Dollar Store, Bi Mart, IGA, Ace Hardwear, Thriftway, two small Barkerys and all over Coyote Rock RV park. No problems, No one has taken any notice of me or my GUN !
Semper Fi
Smitty

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
In the past week I've been to Chipotle next to OSU campus, Old World Deli in downtown, Browsers Books (across from the Benton County Courthouse), Happy Trails record store, and Sunnyside Up for weekend brunch. No issues although my fiancee did say that some guy gave me a look at Chipotle when I got up to throw our trash away. The gentleman at Happy Trails asked me again about carrying -- he definitely supports people exercising their rights.

bigtoe416

I was carrying my usual Glock 22 in a level 3 serpa holster this week.

Wednesday, went grocery shopping at Market of Choice in Corvallis. Was there around an hour, no issues. Friday morning I had a meeting with a loan officer at OSU credit union, no issues. Friday night I went to the Corvallis/Benton friends of the library book sale at the Benton County Fairgrounds. There was an auditorium full of people clamoring over used books in close quarters. I was there about an hour or so and got a few books that piqued my interest. Afterwards I grabbed a burrito at my local taqueria. Today I spent all day on OSU campus at a small farms conference (from 8:30 until 4:30) without a single complaint. There were 800 people in attendance.

Sometimes I stop and smile to myself and realize how much I like Oregonians.

45 Fan

I moved here from cali, imagine the culture shock. Although I do enjoy the gun laws here, just a bit anxious about the first few adventures of OC.

Teddybearfrmhell

I moved here from cali, imagine the culture shock. Although I do enjoy the gun laws here, just a bit anxious about the first few adventures of OC.

welcome and i understand your anxiety, you will get over it very soon..... get you concealed carry permit asap .... i call it my "stay out of jail free" card.

it expands your open carry rights drastically.

45 Fan

Oh, I did. I have it in my wallet at the moment. I have 0 anxiety about concealed carrying my gun (primary mode of carry) It is just open carrying, why I am looking to meet up and make some friends in my local area who do. I went to walgreens the other day and i swear no one noticed it in the shoulder holster.

Teddybearfrmhell

Oh, I did. I have it in my wallet at the moment. I have 0 anxiety about concealed carrying my gun (primary mode of carry) It is just open carrying, why I am looking to meet up and make some friends in my local area who do. I went to walgreens the other day and i swear no one noticed it in the shoulder holster.

great.... and yep, i found it wierd that no one noticed too, i expected panic and cops and attack dogs and bull horns..... but no, just act like its your right and that you been doing it forever....

bigtoe416

How should i handle police in Oregon? Is there a preferred method?

Carry multiple recording devices on your person and activate one or both of them if approached by an officer and inform them that you are audio recording. Ask if you are being detained, if not, say you will be on your way and then carry on doing whatever you were doing. If you are detained then say you'll be exercising your right to remain silent and ask to be told when you're free to go. Then stand there silently until no longer detained. At that point get a business card from them, if one is not provided note their name and badge number. Then file a public records request with the agency to see if there was reasonable and articulable suspicion for the detainment. If not, file a complaint and/or a civil lawsuit in federal court for deprivation of rights under color of authority.

Teddybearfrmhell

How should i handle police in Oregon? Is there a preferred method?

as with all cops ...cool calm and collected.... i have been approached once, it was a positive encounter, i stayed relaxed, she stayed relaxed and it was over. no rights were violated, no weapon taken, no ID required.... just nice

or there are some who believe that all encounters with LEO are combative....

Last edited:

bigtoe416

or there are some who believe that all encounters with LEO are combative....

Heh...who could you be referring to?

I've had three encounters with Corvallis PD, the first ended on a friendly note. The second was 30 minutes after the first and had the same officer approaching me asking me for my name (I actually gave him my name the first time but he apparently forgot it). Turns out he had video tape of me from four separate occasions from that day around that time period and he went to the gun store he saw me come out of and inquired about my identity. After that encounter I realized that Corvallis PD wasn't for individuals open carrying and I decided to go the more cautious route of remaining silent. My third encounter resulted me in remaining silent and answering none of the officers many questions.

If I was approached by a different agency I'd assess the situation and if the officer was friendly and just curious about open carry then I'd be happy to talk to him like any other member of the public. But as far as Corvallis PD goes, they'll continue to get the more conservative approach which will protect my rights and disallow them easy access to personal information that they seem so eager to record.

Edit: I noticed that we posted at the same time Teddy, and thus you probably weren't referring to me. Nevertheless, I'll leave my post as is.

Last edited:

45 Fan

Apparently carrying a 1911 on my hip and my XD 45 Compact in its shoulder holster makes people at taco bell EXTRELY good at being absolutely polite......walgreens didnt even notice...

is this attention to details or just comfort?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Apparently carrying a 1911 on my hip and my XD 45 Compact in its shoulder holster makes people at taco bell EXTRELY good at being absolutely polite......walgreens didnt even notice...

is this attention to details or just comfort?

Gaining respect or being treated well by others according to what or how I carry is very low (non-existent) on my list of priorities.

Prefer to be judged/accepted by my actions, not my accouterments.

BTW - employees at Taco Bell are always very polite to me, but maybe that's because I am polite to them.

45 Fan

Our taco bell employees usually dont care. I didnt open carry to cause any issue, but ive CC'ed in there and they pretty much were on the, the sooner you go away the sooner i dont have to deal with you, mode. So, going in and them saying welcome to Taco Bell, thank you for choosing taco bell; that was a bit off. I just am a bit nervous about OC so i am a bit more attentive to people and their reactions and what they are looking at right now...

Teddybearfrmhell

Our taco bell employees usually dont care. I didnt open carry to cause any issue, but ive CC'ed in there and they pretty much were on the, the sooner you go away the sooner i dont have to deal with you, mode. So, going in and them saying welcome to Taco Bell, thank you for choosing taco bell; that was a bit off. I just am a bit nervous about OC so i am a bit more attentive to people and their reactions and what they are looking at right now...

maybe they have got a new management team that really gives a sh!t.

after nearly 20 years in the restaurant bisiness , some as an owner, i can walk into a restaurant and tell immediately if the management is just going thru the motions..... because their employees will be doing the same thing, when they arent around.

Warren Drouin

Just went out today to the Medford Oregon Library while open carry a handgun (only) to browse around. I was in the library for an hour and got everything I needed. No one complain about my firearm on my hip, which is great. Then I went out for a stroll in Hawthorne Park for an hour and got some good conversation with the random people about open carry. After that, I went to Sportsman Warehouse, Bestbuy, Muchas Gracias, and the Dollar Tree. Everything went well and I hope it continue . One more thing, I talked to a retired police officer that work in Sportsman Warehouse and we had a conversation about open carry. He does not like it because he "personally" believe that it is a disadvantage, but he agree it is a right and it legal. He also states that Sportsman Warehouse has a employee policy of no loaded firearms in the building, but they don't enforce it. He believe that every citizen that is legal to own and bear a firearm should bear them at all times. He also told me to have a audio recorder in-case of police misconduct, but he specifically explain to informed that you are audio recording. He seem to be a great guy, if only he was a Medford Police Chief then we would have a MUCH better police department. It was great day and wish it was longer. :) :D

bigtoe416

Went to Eugene yesterday after a hiatus open carrying (which amusingly enough was around the previous post in this thread). Went to the following places without any issues: Buffalo Exchange, REI, Cafe Zenon, Home Depot, and Market of Choice.