• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Andrew Wilson

oh yeah

I live in Fairview right next door to the police station. Today was my first time OC.

1 ) Fred Myers - needed stew supplies.

2) World Market - Needed Beer for B-Day Gifts

3) Sunglass store down in troutdale. Needed some new Oks.

Many people saw my XDM 9mm. No problems from anyone.

We-the-People

Medford last night. Went to Shari's at Pine and I-5. Just after being seated the waitress comes up all smiles and point to my FN 5.7 and calling her friend over. Next thing I know, two waitresses are asking a million questions about carry and that they want thier permits. So I ask if they'd like flyers and they did. Went out to the car and got my last two (need to print some more). A short time later our waitress tells us "everybody in back is talking about them" and a little after that hte manager walks up and asks if I'm the one that gave the waitresses this flyer (he's holding one of them).

Thinking I'm about to be told I can't hand out literature I tell him yes. Then HE starts asking questions about how, when, and where you can carry with and without a permit.

An outstanding encounter!

Andrew Wilson

Medford last night. Went to Shari's at Pine and I-5. Just after being seated the waitress comes up all smiles and point to my FN 5.7 and calling her friend over. Next thing I know, two waitresses are asking a million questions about carry and that they want thier permits. So I ask if they'd like flyers and they did. Went out to the car and got my last two (need to print some more). A short time later our waitress tells us "everybody in back is talking about them" and a little after that hte manager walks up and asks if I'm the one that gave the waitresses this flyer (he's holding one of them).

Thinking I'm about to be told I can't hand out literature I tell him yes. Then HE starts asking questions about how, when, and where you can carry with and without a permit.

An outstanding encounter!

AWESOME, sounds like a point for the home team.

Dogbait

I haven't been doing much OCing since I have been quite busy, but I try to find some time to get outside. :lol:

Returned some cans/bottles to Gresham Fred Meyers, no issues, but the security guard roaming the parking lot seemed to make 'extra' trips around the bottle return. I think he was just curious. :)

Edit: While I was at the Fred Meyer, I noticed a armed cash courier and saw he had a rinky dink holster that didn't seem to have any retention devices. I was thinking about talking to him about it but I decided that it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Papa Murphys: Soccer mom had walked into the store and got a blank face when she saw me.. She seemed to be in a hurry after that. No one else seemed to mind. :D

Last edited:

DocWalker

Returned some cans/bottles to Gresham Fred Meyers, no issues, but the security guard roaming the parking lot seemed to make 'extra' trips around the bottle return. I think he was just curious. :) :D

Pistol envy.

Was he the security guard armed? If he wasn't he was probably trying to figure out what to do if you got out of hand...lol

BadMoon Risin68

Pistol envy.

Was he the security guard armed? If he wasn't he was probably trying to figure out what to do if you got out of hand...lol

Haha The security at Fred Meyers is very observe and report. They couldn't do a thing to an armed intruder if they had to. They catch someone stealing they have to ask the criminal to come with them they cannot make contact with the person unless they swing at them and they cannot get away from them. so yes he was probably reporting back to the loss prevention manager and also checking your gun out cause who wants to work at Fred Meyers when they could be packing? Lol I do but still I'd rather be carrying.

Andrew Wilson

Haha The security at Fred Meyers is very observe and report. They couldn't do a thing to an armed intruder if they had to. They catch someone stealing they have to ask the criminal to come with them they cannot make contact with the person unless they swing at them and they cannot get away from them. so yes he was probably reporting back to the loss prevention manager and also checking your gun out cause who wants to work at Fred Meyers when they could be packing? Lol I do but still I'd rather be carrying.

I OC in the wood village Freddys. I'm 31 and I look 20 so I always get a couple of head turns. Nothing to worry about we are 100% and within our rights to OC.

4runman

burger king in sandy

The Young girl cashier at burger king in sandy, noticed my gun, and said "that's really scary." Then asked if I was "just not going to pay for my food"... I paid and sat down. Later I saw her asking the manager, no one came to talk to me.

BadMoon Risin68

Wood Village Fred Meyer

Had a customer sporting a Springfield XDM come through my check stand. +1 and the management never saw the guy with a gun! -1 management for situation awareness. Who ever it was keep it up!

4runman

Had a customer sporting a Springfield XDM come through my check stand. +1 and the management never saw the guy with a gun! -1 management for situation awareness. Who ever it was keep it up!

That would be me. Guess I picked the right check stand. Not a single person, besides you noticed.

HareTigger

First time...

First time...

Don't hate me but I'm a liberal. :D I never thought I'd own a gun, much less carry one. My BF was "kind enough" to open my eyes to the possibility/probability that one cannot necessarily depend upon the police for protection. So, nine months later, a new gun owner was "born." I openly carried my shiny new Ruger LCR .357 Magnum to the Triple Tree Restaurant. It's about the easiest location to open carry for a newbie that I've seen (granted, my experience is very limited!)

Now I just need to take a deep breath (or a hundred) and commit to carrying regularly and openly. I've never been worried/concerned about the fact that my BF open carries, but at the prospect of doing it myself... yeah, I'm much more nervous about that!

virginian45colt

Carried to Starbucks, they asked me to take it outside and leave it in my car, I said for one Starbucks was against the military, and now anti-gun and left. Carried to Mcdonalds and had a guy ask be about my revolver then high five me and show'd me his CC Springfield XD. :banana:
I carried into a couple of markets and am now carrying an empty holster in starbucks to use there wifi and just had a officer grill me for an empty holster.I told him it was in plain view in the truck. But whatever he is staring at me now. lol
Going to keep open carrying even though I get weird looks. :cool:

Dogbait

Carried to Starbucks, they asked me to take it outside and leave it in my car, I said for one Starbucks was against the military, and now anti-gun and left. Carried to Mcdonalds and had a guy ask be about my revolver then high five me and show'd me his CC Springfield XD. :banana:
I carried into a couple of markets and am now carrying an empty holster in starbucks to use there wifi and just had a officer grill me for an empty holster.I told him it was in plain view in the truck. But whatever he is staring at me now. lol

You were asked to leave a Starbucks? Which Starbucks were you at? Their corporate policy is to follow state law and it seems this location needs to be educated. You're in the City of Dallas according to your profile, this correct? I think the police chief needs to be spoken to about his officers harassing law abiding citizens...

City of Dallas also bans "loaded firearms" in city parks..

Bonus: They prohibit spitting in any public place :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DocWalker

I would have ask the starbucks person that asked me to take my pistol outside to ask the cop to take his pistol outside also, why play favorites. The officer is a citizen just like me; except he works for us as a public servent.

4runman

Sounds like that Starbucks needs an oc meet there.

virginian45colt

It was the main Starbucks in Dallas. Well the kicker came today, was carrying openly and had another uniformed sheriff ask me why I was carrying then ask for my ID. As soon as he saw my CA License he said that I need to leave my revolver at home as I'm not a resident of the state and if he saw me carrying again I was going to have problems. First threat so far I informed him that I just moved here and was still waiting for my OR license and plates and he just shook it off. Nice of the guy, turns out it was the sheriff of Polk County. ouch....:uhoh:

We-the-People

First time...

Don't hate me but I'm a liberal. :D I never thought I'd own a gun, much less carry one. My BF was "kind enough" to open my eyes to the possibility/probability that one cannot necessarily depend upon the police for protection.

That most definitely was NOT the way I said it! LOL But I amn glad that you're eyes are no opened and you did just fine on your first Open Carry "day".

Now I will appologize for the other members not welcoming you and the newest "convert" to the cause. Shame on them!

I OC'd at the new Carls Jr in Eagle Pt today. No questions, no looks, no cops. Surprising about the cops actually since they were harassing ("nicely") another member for OCing around town earlier in the day.