• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

We-the-People

It was the main Starbucks in Dallas. Well the kicker came today, was carrying openly and had another uniformed sheriff ask me why I was carrying then ask for my ID. As soon as he saw my CA License he said that I need to leave my revolver at home as I'm not a resident of the state and if he saw me carrying again I was going to have problems. First threat so far I informed him that I just moved here and was still waiting for my OR license and plates and he just shook it off. Nice of the guy, turns out it was the sheriff of Polk County. ouch....:uhoh:

I'm sorry but that was NOT "nice of the guy". This is Oregon, we have rights and we expect our servants to recognize them! You do not have to give ID and officers, even the sheriff himself, are NOT supposed to be trying to intimidate visitors from our communist neighbor to the south (I realize you are a refugee and now live here, he did not and tried to intimidate a visitor).

Welcome to Oregon. Read up on our laws...they're much simpler and more common sense that Cali...and don't give up your rights.

DocWalker

It was the main Starbucks in Dallas. Well the kicker came today, was carrying openly and had another uniformed sheriff ask me why I was carrying then ask for my ID. As soon as he saw my CA License he said that I need to leave my revolver at home as I'm not a resident of the state and if he saw me carrying again I was going to have problems. First threat so far I informed him that I just moved here and was still waiting for my OR license and plates and he just shook it off. Nice of the guy, turns out it was the sheriff of Polk County. ouch....:uhoh:

1. When he asked why I was carring I would have said "why are you carring".

2. When he asked for my ID I would have "asked for his ID".

3. When he told me I had to leave my gun in the car I would of asked him "TO SHOW ME THE LAW THAT STATES THAT".

4. I would then get all his information and file a complain for harasment and alert the media that the local sheriff doesn't uphold his oath to follow the US Constitution and doesn't even know what the laws are.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
First time...

Don't hate me but I'm a liberal. :D I never thought I'd own a gun, much less carry one. My BF was "kind enough" to open my eyes to the possibility/probability that one cannot necessarily depend upon the police for protection. So, nine months later, a new gun owner was "born." I openly carried my shiny new Ruger LCR .357 Magnum to the Triple Tree Restaurant. It's about the easiest location to open carry for a newbie that I've seen (granted, my experience is very limited!)

Now I just need to take a deep breath (or a hundred) and commit to carrying regularly and openly. I've never been worried/concerned about the fact that my BF open carries, but at the prospect of doing it myself... yeah, I'm much more nervous about that!

It's always great to hear about another female open carrier. If a large percentage of women would start carrying guns regularly it would be great for the world, but oh-so-bad for criminals. Welcome to the forum and congrats on exercising a right that isn't really in fashion these days.

Don't worry about the liberal thing. I considered myself liberal until I started being into open carrying and now I'm just a raving libertarian, not so bad.

Last edited:

virginian45colt

I was carrying into a market and had a guy follow me out and ask about my gun, I simply told him what it was and he asked me why I carried it I said for protection, then he said be careful, I told him I was and military trained and he said the last thing this town needs is some PTSD veteran carrying a gun. I almost snapped but held back and drove away, I do not have PDSD for serving my country. It took half a pack of smokes later to get me over the guy, still a little pissed this morning.:cuss::cuss::cuss:

:banghead:

Last edited:

DocWalker

I was carrying into a market and had a guy follow me out and ask about my gun, I simply told him what it was and he asked me why I carried it I said for protection, then he said be careful, I told him I was and military trained and he said the last thing this town needs is some PTSD veteran carrying a gun. I almost snapped but held back and drove away, I do not have PDSD for serving my country. It took half a pack of smokes later to get me over the guy, still a little pissed this morning.:cuss::cuss::cuss:

:banghead:

Thanks for your service, it is a little ironic that you served for him to have the right to his ignorant options. In a warped way you are to blame....lol Just kidding and let this guy's ignorance roll off your back. He was trying to set you off, which is scary a guy would want to set of an armed vet that he thinks has PTSD.

virginian45colt

Thanks for your service, it is a little ironic that you served for him to have the right to his ignorant options. In a warped way you are to blame....lol Just kidding and let this guy's ignorance roll off your back. He was trying to set you off, which is scary a guy would want to set of an armed vet that he thinks has PTSD.

People don't think before they speak. One reason our government is always changing something they say because the media gets in a uproar. It's just America today as we know it.

virginian45colt

I wish you had told him the HE should be the careful one, walking around in a country with lots of BGs WITHOUT protection.

It's is sad the way many view our veterans with little respect or gratitude.

Walked into wallmart OC. Went to the sporting good section and bought a box of slugs for my shotgun, the man told me nice revolver then asked me if I was a Army Vet because of my hat, I said I was and he shook my hand and said he was proud of me and my service and proceeded to walk with me out. Nice guy. One nice comment and nice gentleman makes up fore the rest of disrespectful people.:cool:

Last edited:

BadMoon Risin68

Gresham OC

Went to see "The Avengers" on Kane and Stark. No mention or notice from the staff. Wen't to Winco off of Burnside No mention from customer nor associates. However the cashier did get a call as soon as I left. Other than that no other mention a great day to carry and beautiful weather.

4runman

oc on motorcycle

Rode my motorcycle all over Portland, and Gresham yesterday evening. OC the entire time, few funny looks, but no contact by Leo.

Last edited:

virginian45colt

Carried to Mcdonalds and a couple of gun shops and Safeway today, get a lot of looks at my waist. Cracks me up and I'm super respectful to everyone I meet.

Dogbait

Fred Meyer in Gresham:

Two people talked to me while at the store.

First person asked if I was a cop, politely told him I was not. He then asked if I had a weapon permit and I said one is not needed in Oregon to Open Carry.. he paused for a moment and said "yes, you do need one" ... I told him again that one is not needed and it's legal in this state and many others. He said, "oh" and went about his business.

Second person was in his car and told me to look at my side while pointing . . I replied "I know" . I told him it was legal.. he said, " I don't like it because other people(Anti gun) have been causing problems for us and that open carry draws too much attention." He also mentioned he has his 'hidden'. I told him it's about exercising our rights and educating people, he said, " yeah that's good" he shook my hand and drove off.

Only spent 15 minutes at Fred Meyers and had 2 people talk to me, it's a new record :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4runman

best buy

Oc'ed into best buy at cascade station today. No confrontations, just the cashier acting a bit funny.

virginian45colt

Open carried everywhere today, had 2 cops walk by me stop see my "Don't tread on me" / 2nd amendment tshirt and keep walking. I thought it was funny. They leave me alone when they realize I know my rights.:cool:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open carried everywhere today, had 2 cops walk by me stop see my "Don't treat on me" / 2nd amendment tshirt and keep walking. I thought it was funny. They leave me alone when they realize I know my rights.:cool:

I'll not "treat" on you", but remember person's poison is another person's treat. :lol:

virginian45colt

I do worse - my fingers type a genuine word somewhat close phonetically to the word my mind intended. The result is gibberish.

I use google as a spell check half the time, I know how to spell it, but it sometimes doesn't look right, that's what google is for usually I spell it right.:rolleyes: