• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I want one (drools).... 0.o

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

If they ever manage to build such a beast, it would likely be a 4 shot with a 3" diameter cylinder :eek:

or

Buy a LeMat revolver - 9 shot cylinder, .42 caliber black powder w/ up to a 16 gauge lower barrel.

Not pretty guns, holster might be hard to find, and they are quite expensive, especially first models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/lemat.html

Note they were also called the "Grapeshot revolver" - wonderful name don't you think? :lol:

We-the-People

While it is not a 12 guage, this 20 guage double barrel IS A LEGAL PISTOL (NFA required). The "Auto and Burglar" was manufactured by Ithaca in the 1920's and was so effective at self defense that it was politically doomed......why is it that something that does its intended job so well must be villified? From what I've been told, undercover agents would carry one of these slung from a shoulder harness beneath a trench coat. If the agent found himself in deep doo doo all he had to do was press down on the grip and let off both barrels. No more threat from that direction!

Attachments

• AutoAndBurglar.jpg
    AutoAndBurglar.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 94

We-the-People

Yesterday, OC'd on my bike to Grants Pass to get new tires installed. Spent 2 1/2 hours walking around the down town area, visited several businesses, no problems other than a lot of interest at the bike shop (not really a problem). Handed out several flyers at the shop.

In the evening I had dinner after school and on the way out a lady that was also leaving made positive comments and we had a nice conversation. Gave her a flyer.

Mattimusmaximus

OC'D from winco past the Hillsboro airport. Video tapped some planes had two officers approach me. We talked about my guns and met one who had stopped me before actually graduated from the same high school..:) we talked for a bit they were very nice and only asked for my first name.
Walked from there to baseline walked it back up to orenco max station an home

Ill upload the video tomorrow when I can gets some wifi

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

We-the-People

Went on a 125 mile bike (motorcycle) ride yesterday. Two bikes, three people, all OCing. On the way to Butte Falls I was practicing/demonstrating maneuvering with my GF on the back (she has a permit) by doing a "slalom" on the dotted line (no traffic ahead, behind, or oncoming) when I passed a state trooper backed into the woods. Apparently he wasn't concerned, or maybe he saw that we were all packing???????

Stopped in Butte Falls to patronize the gun friendly restaurant there but they were closed on Sunday so had a smoke and moved on. Headed to Howard Prairie lake (county park) and stopped for ice creams at the store/restaurant there.

Drove down to Ashland to grab some coffee at a Burger King we'd been informed had ejected an OC'er in the past. Didn't have any troubles with being welcome by the establishment (new management). However, a guy came in behind us and asked "what's with those". When informed we were just exercising our rights he got a little huffy and walked out after saying something about he'd seen it in AZ but not in Oregon.

Next stop Red Robin in Medford, no troubles at all.

A good day

Myself and another OC'er are planning a two to three day trip up the coastline (after taking advantage of the federal transportation exceptions for the portion of the trip that dips into Cali) and plan to make a lot of stops in a lot of little towns, parks, etc. as we work out way up the coast and then back down through the interior while staying off the freeway as much as possible. It should be a fun and interesting trip. We'll br bringing lots of flyers.

I'll probably start a separate thread once the route is locked in. If anyone is interested in meeting, it's planned to start the Monday of the July 4th week.

J1MB0B

Went on a 125 mile bike (motorcycle) ride yesterday. Two bikes, three people, all OCing. On the way to Butte Falls I was practicing/demonstrating maneuvering with my GF on the back (she has a permit) by doing a "slalom" on the dotted line (no traffic ahead, behind, or oncoming) when I passed a state trooper backed into the woods. Apparently he wasn't concerned, or maybe he saw that we were all packing???????

Stopped in Butte Falls to patronize the gun friendly restaurant there but they were closed on Sunday so had a smoke and moved on. Headed to Howard Prairie lake (county park) and stopped for ice creams at the store/restaurant there.

Drove down to Ashland to grab some coffee at a Burger King we'd been informed had ejected an OC'er in the past. Didn't have any troubles with being welcome by the establishment (new management). However, a guy came in behind us and asked "what's with those". When informed we were just exercising our rights he got a little huffy and walked out after saying something about he'd seen it in AZ but not in Oregon.

Next stop Red Robin in Medford, no troubles at all.

A good day

Myself and another OC'er are planning a two to three day trip up the coastline (after taking advantage of the federal transportation exceptions for the portion of the trip that dips into Cali) and plan to make a lot of stops in a lot of little towns, parks, etc. as we work out way up the coast and then back down through the interior while staying off the freeway as much as possible. It should be a fun and interesting trip. We'll br bringing lots of flyers.

I'll probably start a separate thread once the route is locked in. If anyone is interested in meeting, it's planned to start the Monday of the July 4th week.

What exceptions are you referring to?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
What exceptions are you referring to?
Sure that he refers to the federal law allowing secured transportation across/thru otherwise restricted public areas. This law kinda, sorta makes an "exception" to otherwise illegal act. Of course the problem is that the law provides an affirmative defense, not a magic cloak.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

We-the-People

Sure that he refers to the federal law allowing secured transportation across/thru otherwise restricted public areas. This law kinda, sorta makes an "exception" to otherwise illegal act. Of course the problem is that the law provides an affirmative defense, not a magic cloak.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

That is the provision we'll be taking advantage of. Our first line of defense will be simply driving properly and not being pulled over. Our second line of defense is the fourth amendment and not consenting to any searches. Only if the first two fail AND an officer decides to cite/arrest us and confiscate our secured weapons will we need to use the federal transportation exemptions.

Once safely back in Oregon, we'll be OC all the way.

SteveInAshand

Saw 2 other OC'ers this last week in Medford

I was at my shopping center were I work and noticed a middle aged pot bellied guy ( who else is OC right lol ) with a black pistol on his right hip in a brown leather holster .

Who else but a pot bellied middle aged guy carries open You say , why a smoking hot 20 something blond in yoga tites, yup I was riding my mountain bike up Roxxy Ann hill in east Medford when I came upon 4 much Young women walking up the hill having a great time working out and chit chatting , and one was a very pretty very athletic looking little blond with a black 9mil in a SERPA type holster open carry on her right hip. ( very refreshing ) ....PEACE

OC541

Who else but a pot bellied middle aged guy carries open You say , why a smoking hot 20 something blond in yoga tites, yup I was riding my mountain bike up Roxxy Ann hill in east Medford when I came upon 4 much Young women walking up the hill having a great time working out and chit chatting , and one was a very pretty very athletic looking little blond with a black 9mil in a SERPA type holster open carry on her right hip. ( very refreshing ) ....PEACE

That's just awesome!!

We-the-People

We're getting more and more folks in the Medford area that are OC'ing. Could it be MarkedGuardian's publicity is getting the word out? Or perhaps it's the number of flyers getting handed out by a few daily OC'ers? Maybe it's the number of Oregon YouTubers with Open Carry vids?

Whatever the reason.....YEAH BUDDY

Salem

I made 2 Citizen Arrests a few days ago. I was responding to a break in on one of our properties, and as an Inspector I have to handle situations like this almost daily. Yes I do OC every day.
After the arrests I had a nice talk with the OIC and there are a few things I would like you all to consider.

* Before you strap that sidearm on, ask yourself;
What can I do to prevent myself from having to use this tool?
If I put myself in a position to have to use my firearm, will a Grand Jury (70% liberal in the state of Oregon) find that I could have walked away or done something different?
Do I have the right attorney to defend me and protect my rights?

Last edited:

mjcromp

As I walk through stores and life I put myself in different situations. If this happened, then what? I hope I never have to use my gun for anything other than recreation.
In Bend I have been all over the place OC. Some glances every now and again (especially on the west side of town).
I work for a storage company part time and I OC in the yard and while dealing with customers.
I have had some positive feedback about the "Security"

Police: To clean up.

Yes, let's face it, their primary job is to clean up and that always happens after the incident. To chase, happens after a crime has been commited. To investigate after a crime has been commited. To write a citation after a crime has been commited.
A police officer wears a gun to protect himself, not to protect you. Your protection is your job.

Mattimusmaximus

I went to papas pizza parlor the other day with my two girls there mom, grandmother and a few other friends. It's a place where kids can play and eat pizza like chuck cheese. I was OC as I do when I'm not working. My little girls do just as little girls do they run they play they fall an get hurt but dad is there to help! :) after this I sat at the table and was approached by two concerned fathers about me OC around there children in a place like that. Their demeanor was less then respectful as they pretty much cornered me. They ask what's my deal? And am I a cop? I explained nope an if they would leave me and my family be. One explained that " he gets it" and has a concealed carry in the car. :/ lotta good that does in the car. And didn't want me in the play area with their kids. I go there about once a week for a few months never had an issue. I told them if my girls call me I would be there and if they did t like it I was sorry And explained they were entitled to having concern and now that they have seen I'm just a worried father like them I would like to get back to my food. Met the second dad at the salad bar he seemed to be more ok with it had a wonder conversation and may have changed his mind about it. Anyway no problems I used my big boy words defused a situation that could have been 10X worse.
Today I OC to target and big 5 and then to goodwill and then will be out in tanasbourne area later

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

We-the-People

Long day on the bike today.

Rode from Medford up to Crater Lake national park.

First Stop, Shady Cove. There was some community event going on and the Sheriffs SWAT team had a display. HAD to stop. They had a brand spanking new armored vehicle capable of withstanding 50 BMG rounds. When asked when was the last time anyone in Jackson County had bee shot at with a 50 BMG they got all pissy and started crying about how they want to go home at the end of the day. I explained that I wanted them to go home at the end of the day as well but had a hard time justifying such expenditures when there was no demonstrated need. Their response, "we might need it some day". WASTE OF TAX PAYER DOLLARS. Handed out two flyers to a couple of guys that walked up while I was talking with the deputies.

Second Stop, Prospect store for fuel and to hydrate. Handed out two more flyers to a customer and an employee.

Third Stop, Union Creek where I had an ice cream cone and hung out for about 20 minutes.

Fourth Stop, Crater Lake.....stopped at the ranger hut on the road (entry point) and got a Golden Access pass (free to disabled vets) and entered the park. Went to "Rim Village" (i.e. tourist trap), GF used the facilities of a stand alone restroom and then we walked around a bit. Headed off to drive the rim and stopped at multiple locations. Saw a few eyeballs on the Five Seven but no contacts until our last stop where I had a nice conversation with a retired National Guardsman. I suspect a large part of the reason there was no officer contact (I expected a ranger to at least check us out) was that there is NO cell service so they couldn't call anything in. LOL

Fifth Stop, Eagle Point ARCO station to fuel up (46 mpg wooo hooo)

Last Stop, Eagle Point WalMart for some shoe laces.

All in all a nice trip with no negative encounters (as it should be) even within a National Park full of Kommiefornians and foreign nationals (who were like the ones spotted gawking at the Five Seven).

2013-6-29_Crater Lake Park-B-SnowFace-2.jpg
Open Carry in Crater Lake National Park

Last edited:

Mattimusmaximus

OC today while looking at garage sales in hillsboro and Cornelius. Few glances had an guy ask me why I had my .45 we talked and I asked if he wanted me to leave he said no I had stuff in my hands and wanted money lol I laughed its been a great morning

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

mjcromp

OC today downtown Bend. Beer run race. Stopped at the local PD station and talked to some LEO's and proceeded to walk around. Got a few glares from a security person. After there headed to Walmart for over an hour and all well. Stopped by my work later this evening to dump the garbage and found a LEO walking around I think looking for someone. Was wearing no shirt (due to the sunburn from my time downtown in a tank top) And my gun on my side. We had a nice weather and all around pleasant 3 or 4 minute discussion not related to me at all. I love the dry side of Oregon!