• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Mattimusmaximus

Open carry in Hillsboro the last few days got stopped twice once on each day didn't tell them anything went on my way got a lot honks and thumbs up.. Had a guy turn around and apologize for not honking cause it was broke..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Mattimusmaximus

Both videos will be posted after work on YouTube under 2Aprocitizen and always down for a meet and greet!

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

We-the-People

Got a call from the neighborhood (out in the sticks) restaurant today that I'm no longer welcome while open carry. Apparently I'm "loud, boisterous, and make some of the customers nervous". I'm a Marine, yes my normal tone is louder than most but to equate that to boisterous?

Per Websters
BOISTEROUS: 1) noisily turbulent : rowdy
2) marked by or expressive of exuberance and high spirits

Well I guess #2 does fit. But that's a bad thing? I don't see #1 fitting as while I'm louder (even in normal conversation) than most, the turbulent part just doesn't fit.

Been carrying in there since 2004 and exclusively OC since August 2009. I don't conceal....which was perfectly acceptable to them per todays conversation, just not open carry.....so I'll miss the convenience but there are other choices for places to spend my money.

ScottFree

Saturday, took off my jacket to try on a sweater and the gal that was helping us pretty much froze like a deer and couldn't stop staring at "it".

Sunday, lunch at McGrath's, more downtown shopping with the wife (in my new sweater) nobody else cared. Good weekend all around.

Much more CC lately with the weather and all. I guess taking your cover off surprises some folks.

Last edited:

ScottFree

--Moderator deleted comment--

Moderator comment (not ScottFree's reply))

Gentlemen, this is a widely read public forum. At any given time non-registered readers are 300-400% greater than registered users. The members of the public readership are politicians, ministers/pastors, grandmothers, children, antis, and the media.

This is not a good ol' boy's club. We do not tell ribald stories or make suggestive remarks. We conduct ourselves responsibly and post in the same manner. We take the high road .

Last edited by a moderator:

nilla

so I'll miss the convenience but there are other choices for places to spend my money.

i get a great deal of satisfaction seeing the look on their face when i hand deliver my receipts from their competition. more satisfaction than just mailing them in an envelope

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i get a great deal of satisfaction seeing the look on their face when i hand deliver my receipts from their competition. more satisfaction than just mailing them in an envelope
Consider collecting receipts from friends that also will not shop there for similar reason(s) - reminding the manager that you are not the only one and these just represent the tip of the iceberg regarding buiness lost.

Seems like it would have a serious impact if once a month you could hand deliver receipts totaling thousands of dollars. Maybe consider a collection point for such - just an idea.

Last edited:

Sethrotull

Went to my local dog park (Portland) OC my 357 cross draw. Spoke to a park ranger asking if I had seen any homeless camping. Nope, obeyed leash laws walked by Portland police in lot nothing said by anyone. Went to 7'11 bought a beverage. All was good as it should be.

Anyone know how Portland Target deals with OC?

mjcromp

Got me a new Springfield XDM 40 to OC now. Bought it at Sportsman's, went to car to load and put on holster and then went back in for accessories. Then off to Fred Myers. Bigger than my Bersa 380 so I'm hoping it will start a few more conversations.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Got me a new Springfield XDM 40 to OC now. Bought it at Sportsman's, went to car to load and put on holster and then went back in for accessories. Then off to Fred Myers. Bigger than my Bersa 380 so I'm hoping it will start a few more conversations.
Congrats on your new acquisition.

Maybe just me though, but I'd never carry a gun that had not been subjected to a thorough break in - too many things can go wrong. Would carry a known, proven shooter, even of a lesser caliber, rather than a bigger and better gun of unknown quantity.

If the SHTF, there will be no do-over if your gun malfunctions.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"You went into battle with an untested weapon?!"
images

TonyA

Since my car is out of service, it's been 2 months, I've been walking to work. At first I was only OCing to work on my night shifts thinking people might freak out if they see me walking down the street, but I've started carrying every day nonetheless. I live in a really terrible neighborhood and I don't feel safe without it. I've been seen by a few police officers as they drove by me. On one occasion they slowed down, and moved on. No problems yet so I'll continue doing it. I actually really enjoy my walks to work. I get to smoke a cigar, listen to music or audio books, and I get even more exercise.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Since my car is out of service, it's been 2 months, I've been walking to work. At first I was only OCing to work on my night shifts thinking people might freak out if they see me walking down the street, but I've started carrying every day nonetheless. I live in a really terrible neighborhood and I don't feel safe without it. I've been seen by a few police officers as they drove by me. On one occasion they slowed down, and moved on. No problems yet so I'll continue doing it. I actually really enjoy my walks to work. I get to smoke a cigar, listen to music or audio books, and I get even more exercise.

I often bike on the various trails around Alexandria, VA. Courtesy requires that I give a verbal or audible warning to those whom I'm about to pass. In most cases, however, the people (joggers, walkers, etc.) often have earbuds or headphones on listening to music or audio books and they don't hear my warning.

As firearms carriers we must maintain a heightened sense of situational awareness, and I worry that by elimination of one of our senses -- hearing -- we would be lessening the awareness we need to maintain. Not preaching to you, just concerned.

Last edited:

donny

Saturday, took off my jacket to try on a sweater and the gal that was helping us pretty much froze like a deer and couldn't stop staring at "it".

Sunday, lunch at McGrath's, more downtown shopping with the wife (in my new sweater) nobody else cared. Good weekend all around.

Much more CC lately with the weather and all. I guess taking your cover off surprises some folks.

Nope, no attention whoring going on there. Nah...

mjcromp

I wear an open holster but with a shirt partially covering when at church. Went to a Christmas party this evening and decided to CC for that. When I got there I asked the owner if he was ok with it and he was fine. His wife after being there for a bit asked why I didn't have my gun, I explained I did. She has never said anything about my gun before but it was noticed.

We-the-People

Carried all about this weekend going to garage and estate sales with narry a mention.

Yesterday included a "flea market" at a state armory where I concealed for the first time in like forever (and felt so weird) in case they might balk at the door. Got into a conversation with one vendor who started talking about how bad things are getting regarding the push for gun control and that he was waiting on his CHL. When I told him he could open carry without it and that I carry everywhere and usually open carry he asked "are you carrying it now?" and then "where?" when I answered in the affirmative. I slide my coat out about two inches so that he (and nobody else) could see it and he was amazed to see a full size pistol and two spare mags.

And dern it if I didn't have a flyer on me....grrrrrr