• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was stopped by Gresham Police Department on Gleason St.

djhawes

imported post

I passed a guy on the right while he was making an illegle "U" turn and then "got on it" when I got back on the road.

I came to a stop light and stopped. I really got on it again and the lights came on....

I was ridding my Harley and sleevless T shirt. Dew rag, colors,the whole nine yards....

I sat patiently on my bike with both hands on the handle bars. He asked how I was doing. Then he wanted my license and registration. I said, "I am not going for my license until you know I have my weapon on me." He asked where it was at and as I was getting off of my bike, I told him it was on my right hip.

He said, "Oh, you are alright." I reached for my license in my back pocket with my right hand and gave him my license. He was not interested in taking the gun off of me or doing any of that other stuff.

He did say he appreciated me telling him I had my weapon, but the way I see it I did not have a choice. I didnot want to be reaching for my wallet on my right side where my weapon is while standing next to thepolice officer who just stopped me. I just did not wantto get shot. I could not blame himif he shot me and I did not tell him that I was OCing.

He was really cool. Never asked me about the weapon. He came back and told me to slow down and enjoy the weather and my bike. He did not issue me a ticket. I guess that makes up for one I got that I did not deserve.

So, Gresham PD is really OC freindly.

JBURGII

imported post

It is good to hear about positive leo interaction. It is unfortunate that we have to concentrate on the negative so much because of the nature of the politics involved. So I have always tried to give kudos whenever possible.

I too ride a bike armed and have yet to encounter a problem, I have wondered if it would increase the probability of a MWAG call on the road due to the strong side traffic being able to eyeball my weapon. Surprisingly little reaction in what I consider a very 'anti' area.

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

I just got a reply from Salem today on my inquiry about what I think was a positive encounter. Not sure because the LEO never actually contacted me, just looked like he was observing me.

So I inquired if that was the case. The location and time were quite specific and it was a motorcycle officer who was stopped for some time. Their reply was that they were looking into it and if they could identify any calls or the officer they would let me know.

The nature of my inquiry was that if my perception was correct I wanted to commend the department and the officer for the way it was handled.