• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Florida needs an active grassroots organization

rebel-patriot

imported post

I have been doing some research this morning on a variety of topics and have come across some interesting stuff that I wish to share.

If you are an NRA member or have visited the ILA website, you undoubtedly know of the "mayors against illegal guns" organization. What you may not know is the following..

The Florida League of Cities Annual Conference was held August 13-15, 2009, at the World Center Marriott in Orlando. More than 1,000 city officials from across Florida attended this meeting. They held a day one workshop titled "Illegal Gun Violence in Our Cities: Problems and Solutions"
You can go view the pdf file here: floridaleagueofcities.com/Assets/Files/2009 FLC AC/presentations/illegal-guns.pdf

- 50 members of this group are based in our Florida Cities.
They maintain that Florida
- Is an exporter and importer of illegal guns
- 66% of all murders were commited with a firearm
- growing number (unspecified) of sexual assaults are commited with firearm.
- ATF recovered 17,000 illegal guns in Florida in 2007.
For Jacksonville specifically they maintain:

- Jacksonville recovered and traced 3,008 illegal firearms in 2008.
- of the 12,143 illegal firearms traced in Florida, 1,479 originated in Duval County.
- 75% were handguns
- "Assault weapons" are a growing concern...

In a frame titled "there IS hope" they quote Justice Scalin in the Heller decision as stating "The Second Amendment right is not unlimited. We do not cast doubt on concealed-weapons prohibitions, laws barring possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, laws barring firearms in sensitive places like schools and government buildings, and laws imposing conditions on commercial sale of arms."

Their proposed solutions:
1. Get active in both Washington and in Tallahassee
- Support "bi partisan legislation" H.R. 2158 (Representative King, R-NY) and S. 1317 (Senator Lautenberg, D-NJ).
2. Make it harder for guns to get on the streets by
- Limiting Straw purchases of firearms (people that purchase multiple firearms over a given period of time and sell them to someone else over that specified period of time)
- Videotaping the point of purchase of all firearms transactions
- Computerized gun crime trace log and alert system
- requiring employee background checks of all retail ffl employees.
- ffl inventory checking
- securing firearms
- giving local officials (not law enforcement) access to aggregate trace data
- require background checks be performed at gun shows including sales from private collectors
- requiring theft of firearms be reported within 48 hours. Failure to report would be a second degree misdemeanor $500 fine, 60 days jail time.
- Gun "Offender" registration.
Similiar to Megans Law
Working in Baltimore
=======================================================

Now all this may sound fine and good at a first glance if you are so inclined.. but keep in mind that they use language specifically to sway moderates to their side then whammo.. down comes the gavel when you arent looking.. Lets take the Gun Offender registration.. sounds OK doesnt it? I mean who would be against registering and keeping track of those who offend gun laws? Well just what makes up an offender? It is not specified.. "Oh we will get to that later.. details are still being worked out" etc etc etc...

Hows this.. YOU are an offender if you break any of the new overly oppressive laws we are currently working on to limit your access to guns.. You may own and carry them.. IF you can find them or the ammo for them.. HA HA HA HA..

These people are actively working to limit and destroy your right to keep and bear arms on a daily basis.. what are you doing?

Here is another thread you might be interested in as well.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/31731.html

Rebel
American by birth, Southern by Choice!

http://www.floridaleagueofcities.com/Assets/Files/2009 FLC AC/presentations/illegal-guns.pdf

rebel-patriot

imported post

Because of the data I found and information I posted here, I had to investigate more. I am appalled by this program. I visited the Mayors against illeg gun website and took a look at their "Responsible Forearms Retailer Program". Would you believe Wal Mart has had a major hand in developing this program. Here are some of the gems of it all..

1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.
2. Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Participating retailers will maintain a computerized log of crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale. I have a MAJOR problem with this.

3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm. I have a MAJOR problem with this.
4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms. What mechanisms? By whom? I have a MAJOR problem with this.
5. Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale. I know my rights and I know the applicable laws. Thank you very much.

6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.
7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart's training program.
8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart's firearms audit check procedures.
9. No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days. Retailer will opt out of sale if background comes back other than positive. I have a MAJOR problem with this.
10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks. They do this anyway.

Anyone else have a problem with this?

Rebel
American by birth, Southern by choice.