• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take?

usaf0906

imported post

I applied for a CPL when I was in walla walla on august 18th, and they said i should hear from them within 30 days. I was curious if there was a set time frame they have to act in, and what I might be able to do.

Trigger Dr

imported post

The issuing agency (PD or Sheriff) is REQUIRED by law to issue within 30 days.

usaf0906

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
The issuing agency (PD or Sheriff) is REQUIRED by law to issue within 30 days.
Unless the applicant is not a resident of Washington or has been a resident for less than 90 days, then the agency must issue within 60 days.

Although I am in the military, i have been a resident of WA all my life. I had just renewed my DL so i only had the temporary paper one (old address was in kennewick, changed it to walla walla address).

I think I will look up the number and give them a call tomorrow to see whats up.

killchain

imported post

Benton County had mine to me in six days.

It also probably helped because my father worked there.

(EDIT: My father retired recently.)

Oh, and for any military that are WA State residents, you can get a Driver's License that has a "MILITARY" expiration so while you're active duty you don't have to renew it.

Little word of advice from one veteran to another. It's nice not having to renew a license. :)

MadHatter66

imported post

Kitsap had me in and out in 30min in the Silverdale office, CPL in hand. My wife was in and about in 20, CPL in the mail 2 days later... Depends on the workload. The only reason my wife wasn't in and out was they had about 25 more applications to process from that day... 2 day turn around via mail isn't to bad though... Kitsap has an unwritten policy to issue asap if there isn't anything to investigate further. I have heard that some counties will hold it for 20 days just because they can...

ScottyDog

imported post

King County on my initial license didnt even mail it to me at the get go. It got "lost". They said I would have to come in, get printed again, pay initial fees again. I threatened lawsuit, and it mysteriously appeared in my mail 4 days later. This took 45 or so days.

Now my last 2 renewals took about 10 days.

usaf0906

imported post

killchain wrote:

Oh, and for any military that are WA State residents, you can get a Driver's License that has a "MILITARY" expiration so while you're active duty you don't have to renew it.

Little word of advice from one veteran to another. It's nice not having to renew a license. :)

I did this while i was back home :lol:Thanks for the advice though.

** I called and the lady told me that my 30 days wasnt up until the 30th, so they must have sat on it a few days or something. Thanks all for the comments and help.

kenshin

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
cbackous wrote:
killchain wrote:

I did this while i was back home :lol:Thanks for the advice though.

** I called and the lady told me that my 30 days wasnt up until the 30th, so they must have sat on it a few days or something. Thanks all for the comments and help.
Some counties are A-holes about it and won't issue it until day 30 even if you approved on day 2. Island County is like that.

Yes, but from his first post he applied on the 18th of August, so it's already been more than 30 days.

cbackous: Do you have proof of when you went in to apply? If you do, then definitely call/go in and hold their feet to the fire about it. They have no reason to take longer than the 30 days.

usaf0906

imported post

well since i am back in VA now, it would be tough to go in and complain. If i dont get it by the 30th then I will make some noise.

usaf0906

imported post

**UPDATE: My mom called me today saying that there was a letter from the WWPD stating that my CPL was "ready for pick-up" Which makes my heard hurt.. why not just mail the CPL? So now I guess I will be calling them again to ask if they can mail it or something.

usaf0906

imported post

killchain wrote:
Does anyone back home have a power of attorney? If so, they can pick it up and mail it to you. :)

I just called the WWPD and told them that i was out of the state for work and unsure when i would be back. The lady told me that it had to be me to sign for it, couldnt do power of attorney and they couldnt mail it.

I know some of you have said that your permits got mailed to you, so obviously what this lady is telling me isnt a statewide thing. Is there anything i might be able to do, or am I SOL?

j2l3

imported post

Part of the application process in King County is to pre-address an envelope. They mail them all. There isNO requirement in the RCW need to sign for one. I would contact the Chief as well.

killchain

imported post

A Washington State Concealed Pistol License needs to be signed, yes, but it comes in the mail and you just scribble your signature on it afterwards, like a Social Security Card.

Now, you've already gone to the courthouse, paid the fee, had your fingerprints taken and filled out the paperwork?

If so...

I think she's bullshitting you. With a full power of attorney your rep can do anything in your name, including pick up a Concealed Pistol License. Tell that clerk to have it mailed to your address (if it's a military barracks I suggest a buddy's house so you're not waiting for MONTHS ;) ) or kindly inform her that there's no reason why your representative can't pick up the permit and that they are required by law to issue it to you within 60 days, and that the days are ticking by.

usaf0906

imported post

Well i email the chief and got a reply back from the police records supervisor, here is what she said:

Mr. XXXX:

The email regarding your question on the requirement of your signature on the CPL was forwarded to me by Chief Fulton. I have attached a copy of the CPL form so you can see the areas requiring your signature and hopefully will make my explanation more understandable. We do not have applicants pre-sign the original license in the off chance that they are denied. I also verified with Zondra at the Department of Licensing Firearms Division that your signature is a requirement.

The license shall contain a description of the major differences between state and federal law and an explanation of the fact that local laws and ordinances on firearms are preempted by state law and must be consistent with state law. The application shall contain questions about the applicant's eligibility under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, the applicant's place of birth, and whether the applicant is a United States citizen. The applicant shall not be required to produce a birth certificate or other evidence of citizenship. A person who is not a citizen of the United States shall meet the additional requirements of RCW 9.41.170 and produce proof of compliance with RCW 9.41.170 upon application. The license shall be in triplicate and in a form to be prescribed by the department of licensing.

This is the form that they have prescribed and it’s their requirement that the form be signed by the licensee.

Licensing authority – have applicant read and sign of the following.

This is the “I certify” section that you read and sign. It states that you certify that you are not ineligible to possess a pistol under RCW 9.41.040, etc.

So it would seem that they dont have people sign the "the i am not ineligible" until the license gets approved. I am going to ask if there is any way that this from can be scanned and emailed, or mailed to me (since they need it in triplicate, i am guessing its a 3 sheet carbon paper form) but I am not too hopeful.

* I think this might be their way of trying to get around the 60 days (or is it 30 days) to issue the permit, which is pretty lame.*