• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman cited for not disclosing..

FatboyCykes

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
Mike wrote:
Unless state law requires you to dicslose you possess a concealed handgun, I receommend people NEVER disclose, nor show the concealed carry license spontaneously - doing so presents a "problem" the officer must deal with under local SOP, policy, or prejudices, old wives tales, etc.

next thing you know, you are out of the car, being patted down, serial numbers being run, etc.

That goes for open carry too - dont ask don't tell is the best policy in my opinion, whether open or concealed carrying.
Michigan state law does require disclosure as cited in other posts. As for open carry, no disclosure is required as the visible firearm is your disclosure. I am looking for the document in which I read that at some point. I am not sure if it is an AG opinion or a supreme court ruling, but I did read it somewhere...
The only place I've read it was on a MSP update.

choover

imported post

bigdaddyj wrote:
choover wrote:
I took my cpl class yesterday and the instructor was telling us to inform police if you have a cpl when pulled over regardless of if your carrying or not. This contradicted what the previous instructor told us earlier in the session which started a discussion. The 2nd instructor agreed that you are only required to inform if carrying but was trying to save us a hassle..

He said he recieved a call a month ago from a woman who took his class a year ago and she had been pulled over for speeding, the cop let her leave then pulled her over a 2nd time and ripped her about not disclosing to which she told him she was not carrying..he cited her for not disclosing.. as of right now the magistrate upheld the citation so she is looking into fighing it further. The cop that did the law section said that the cpl is tied to your car's registration so it pops up if your in your car.

I pointed out that she should win it to which he agreed but said he was recommending his classes to disclose at all times now just to cover them...because regardless of anything it is going to cost her time and money and he wanted to save us that :banghead:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you take you CPL class???
Monroe - from the guys that set up at gibraltar trade center every month, 75 bucks for their class

sevenplusone

imported post

He said he recieved a call a month ago from a woman who took his class a year ago and she had been pulled over for speeding, the cop let her leave then pulled her over a 2nd time and ripped her about not disclosing to which she told him she was not carrying..he cited her for not disclosing.. as of right now the magistrate upheld the citation so she is looking into fighing it further. The cop that did the law section said that the cpl is tied to your car's registration so it pops up if your in your car.

In Michigan when you run somebody's license plate in theSOS/LEIN system no CPL info comes back. It's not uncommon for officers to run a plate and then run the info of who the plate comes back to. It's a quickway to find persons that likely havewarrants.That is more likley what happend. A vehicle being registered to a person who is wanted isn't RS for a stop, but it's not usually long before some sort of traffic violation will occur and then a stop will/can be made.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I'm not going to take the word of a CPL instructor for anything they say. I have seen way too many that are very ignorant of the law and tell stories like this to scare students to do what they tell them to.

I'm leaning towards this did not happen. And if it did she should be able to get a not guilty. The law is clear you only need to disclose if you are carrying a concealed pistol.

xraygil1

imported post

My father was stopped for a driving infraction recently in Dearborn and the officer gave him a hard time for not disclosing his CPL. When he indicated that he was not carrying and did not need to disclose the officer contacted the patrol supervisor, who indicated that disclosure was only required when the CPL holder has a pistol on their person. So, it would appear that there are departments that are fully aware of the law and it's requirements. Kudos to the good ones!:lol:

SpringerXDacp

sevenplusone

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Obviously, not all departments are FULLY aware.
Xraygil1 said,

"the officer contacted the patrol supervisor,"

Apparently the officer on patrol did not know.springerdave.
There's a lot of things they don't know. I'd rather they asked a supervisor that does know than make a mistake (whether it be firearms laws or code violations or civil infractions).

SlowDog

imported post

Or as in some cases we've seen they do know and don't like the fact it's legal for us "peasants" to carry a weapon like them. As I always say Gun+Badge=GOD attitude.