• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I Open Carry........

r6-rider

imported post

crime deterrent? i would say yes!

sorry to hear about the legal issues, theres alot of trash out there just looking to mooch from honest people unfortunately

Regular_Joe

imported post

My son and I visited a local pawn shop - I am looking for something like an inexpensive M4 that is chambered in 22LR - just for fun on the range and as another component in the home defense system.

I noticed a couple of employees working the gun counter - right next to the jewelry counter - OC'ing. The other employees were busy helping customer, but the two gents were alert, each watching the flow of traffic that was entering the store and moving by the gun and jewelry counter.

I am not sure I would have noticed the alertness level of these two, but I have recently joined the OC community (and NRA, and concealed permit carrier, and 'whining-about-lack-of-ammo citizens of the USA'...) and it was obvious that these two were less concerned with customer service and more about customer/store protection.

I liked knowing that these two could be counted on if some crazy decided to do something stupid.

As a responsible OC/CC'er I knew walking in, that if anything happened, right where I needed to get my son in the event that things went bad (behind the engine block/parts aisle). I knew I needed to keep an eye on the customers, watch for anything out of the pattern, and I knew that one side of the shop joined a dollar store (bad backstop). All this was running through my head as I entered, but as soon as I saw the two armed employees, I knew that these two were doing the same thing and I immediately felt safer.

McX, not only are you making a statement to potential 'crazies' (like your ex-contractor), but you are also letting your customers know that you are making your shop as safe as possible. Thanks for the 'customer support'!

dave.....

imported post

why i open carry ..... after my divorce i found myself living in a small apt in a not good part of town...... i meet a new woman .. she moves in w/ me .. life is great .. my apt is next to a buisness that has been ripped off 3 times in the last month... last week we see 2 guys trying to break in to the buisness.. we call the cops .. cops show up and say cuz they did not see them attempting to break in they cant do anything .... wtf ?? ... the 2 suspects are neighbors and now are saying they plan to kill us for calling the cops ... again the cops wont do anything cuz they did not hear the threats....... i was oc'ing the other day outside my apt .. one of the suspects said [you better put that pistole away .or im calling the cops ... i said call em .. il wait right here ..... we are now moving to a nice house in a nice neighborhood ....

manicdevery

imported post

I like the"crime detterent" over "it's my right"

It ISmy right and it's a right i want my children to have but i have learned how the public who have never shot guns look at people who hunt as killing and/or people whodefendthemself (with a firearm) as a criminal act. Their analogy, gun=criminal. luckily i had an educated family that taught me to describe hunting as "harvesting" so as it is more PC to the public. So now that i OC i hope to find the best way to describe this right to the uneducated public.

Ihave lost enough things in this world that were out of my hands such asTheft,Death, vandilism, etc,that i will doanything i can preserve the good i see in this world. I refuse to become prey.