• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gotta Love The New Shooters

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Friday night was great! I got to introduce two of the guys I work with to the wonderful world of shooting. Neither had ever shot any type of firearm before, but they'd heard myself and a few other talking and were very anxious to do so.

We got to the range at about 6:30. (I was there at 6:00, but both of them were late.) We signed the paperwork. I went over basic range safety, and we headed to the shooting area.

I'd brought both of my pistols. One (primary) is a Tanfoglio .45. The other (BUG) is a Micro Desert Eagle. The first is DA/SA. The second is DAO. I figured these would be a good introduction for two men.

We went over safety and operation of the .45 and made a few dry runs to check comprehension and make a few corrections. Then we went to live fire. Of course, everything about the first shot was a complete surprise, but the grins told me they were having fun. They were all over the target at first, but we worked on trigger control and they got progressively better as the night wore on. I let them shoot 25 rounds apiece at a hostage target and the hostage only died or was severely wounded about 5 times. I figure that's not too bad for a couple of newbies.

Next we went to the .380. They didn't like that much because of the recoil.

Next they decided they wanted to try a .40 S&W, so they rented one, bought a box of ammo, and we went over the Smith. I neglected to check which model, but it was DAO so it had a heavy trigger pull which they really didn't like.

In the end they preferred the .45 and one guy said he wanted to get one. While the .45 is a great gun I suggested he wait until he's shot a few other pistols and maybe some revolvers before making up his mind.

After we finished at the range we retired to Dino's, where Manu's staff took great care of us, whipping up some food that's an 11 on a scale of 1-10.

As we were finishing our meal the two newbies basically asked me when we could go again.

BTW - I started them out at 3 yards for sight picture and to build confidence that they could at least hit the target, then moved them out to 7 yards. Before the end one guy tried it out at 15 yards.

Manu

imported post

I know Bookman I remember that twinkle in their eyes too when they were telling me about their experience. One of them is going to buy a gun pretty soon and start OC it, he also took one OCDO pamphlet from me but other one is little sceptical if he want to buy a gun at this time or not. He was telling me how his GF does not like guns etc etc I tried to convince him to get a new gf and a gun and I can bet his gun will never complain him having a gf and also his gun will not be jealous if he has more than one gun and I am pretty sure his gf will not like him having more than one gf :D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Great story and great job, Bookman.

P. S. Why is it that newbies smile with those first shots?
39.gif

antispam540

imported post

I don't know, but you can't really help yourself. The grin happens whether you want it to or not.

Sometimes it even happens to pros, for example, the first time I fired a .44 magnum, or the Lone Eagle pistol that fires 7mm-08rem.

killchain

imported post

The grin is because it rocks. :)

I took a few friends out shooting for their first time, and had a myriad of guns... but I did have an M1917 revolver, .45ACP.

I handed it off to a Prius driving, peace sign tattooed girl from Mercer Island.

And when she finally pulled the trigger, that big old grin and, I quote, "That's f***ing cool!"

I feel pride in changing people's minds about firearms.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Manu wrote:
I know Bookman I remember that twinkle in their eyes too when they were telling me about their experience. One of them is going to buy a gun pretty soon and start OC it, he also took one OCDO pamphlet from me but other one is little sceptical if he want to buy a gun at this time or not. He was telling me how his GF does not like guns etc etc I tried to convince him to get a new gf and a gun and I can bet his gun will never complain him having a gf and also his gun will not be jealous if he has more than one gun and I am pretty sure his gf will not like him having more than one gf :D

Oddly enough, even though Manu and I are friends we've never been shooting together. Hmmmm.....we'll just have to remedy that situation.

Manu

imported post

Maybe you are scared to go out and shoot with a pro marksman:D. Kidding ... We should go someday so that I can pick some tips from your experience. btw what happened to shooting competition between you and jarhead? I really want to learn how not to shoot :p