• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cedar City-Open Carry

eddiealex

imported post

:celebrateI want to start a group in Cedar City unless there is already one. If you are interested reply to this post. I have already informed some police of my intention and they applauded it. We just want them to be aware of our presence. Also would like to go out to the range for training with someone who can offer some good tips and education. I will ask a couple of police friends if they would be willing to train us also. You can email me at eddiealexm@yahoo.com. Thanks

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That great to haer the police are ok with it.

I frequent Ceadar City 3 or more times a year, my grandmother lives down that way. I always open carry when I travel down that way and havent had any problems at all.

However I remember maybe a year ago there was a man in Office Max in Cedar City where his CC gun became un-concealed and he had quite a bit of broblems with the local PD

Rusty_Shackleford

imported post

I'm in St. George and I just started to open carry in the last couple of days...and I feel very alone. I have concealed carried for about 3 years.

I have not seen anyone open carry here.

I am going to address the city council on Sept. 30. it is an open forum where anyone can bring up any topic. The police chief is normally there (or a second in command from the department). I am going to ask them how they are handling open carry/if they know the law.I am also going to question their (Illegal)local laws dealing with firearms in parks/signage.

If anyone would like to support/join me on the 30th, email me rsty_shackleford@hotmail.com

Note my real name is

Larry

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Rusty/Larry

I can't join you, and wish you well.

If I may offer a suggestion, rather than asking the police how they will handle something, I'd start with a very concrete complaint that they can easily fix: the illegal signage in their parks. Be prepared with the proper code sections, Utah Supreme Court ruling in UoU v Shurtleff, and the AG opinions on this matter.

As part of this you might make clear that anyone with a permit is allowed to either openly carry or concealed carry a fully loaded gun in all government owned parks. And even those without a permit are allowed to OC a Utah-unloaded gun so long as the park does not fall into a gun free school zone (either by permanently proximity to a school or temporarily by being used for a school activity). This will blunt any claims that if you just conceal nobody will notice or complain anyway since it makes clear you are under no obligation to conceal. And in addition to personal choice, if there is anyplace in St. George where weather appropriate attire can make OC preferrable to CC, or even flat out necessary, it is St. George for about 9 months out of the year. :D:D

But don't just ask how the police will handle something like OC or whether they know the law. OF course they know the law. Don't ask them. Politely and firmly tell the city council that their signs in park are in violation of the law. Then, within that context discuss the laws on OC.

And you most certainly will not be allowed to have an open discussion with the Chief or other police officer at a city council meeting anyway. Indeed, in most cases, there is very little conversation at such meetings. You are given a few minutes to say something and the city council will then respond...or not. If you get asked even a couple of questions, consider yourself lucky.

So be prepared to make a well reasoned, succinct speech. Write it down, practice it, time it. Make sure it is no more than about 3 minutes. Have some backup material to handle the most obvious or likely questions. But I would be very shocked if this were an informal discussion. THAT happens when you make a personal appointment with the mayor or invite your city council man over to chat at your neighborhood BBQ or when he knocks on your door campaigning.

Charles

Rusty_Shackleford

imported post

You make some good points about how to approach this. I will print out copies of the pertinent sections of the Utah Code.

Actually at this meeting, I will be able to address the council, mayor,city attorney andPolice Chief.

St. George City has a specialopen forum, city council meeting,about 4 times a year. This happens when there is a 5th Wednesday in the month. The citydepartment heads are to be there to respond to the citizens.

All a citizen has to do is show up and fill out a card with their topic. I have been to most of these meetings...sadly there are normally less than 20 concerned citizens that take a the opportunity to attend and there has always been time for all those that have questions, comments or concerns to be heard.

The meeting will be September 30, 2009 at 5:00pm, city council chambers (city office building)