• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attempted homicide or self-defense

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Second segment:
LVMPD (John Johnson) arrests a guy who claims to have shot a guy he was playing ping pong with (corroborated by the mostly unfazed victim, shot in arm and gut) after the victim punched him multiple times and wouldn't leave after being asked to multiple times. The cops note his bloody nose and lip, but it's fuzzy whether he had any right to demand the victim leave (roommate?).

The cops ask him why he was carrying a gun - he says he had a CCW and carries all the time. They say they're booking him on attempted homicide.

Tried to look up this case on Google search and news and failed. If it was later ruled self-defense and he was released, I suspect it wouldn't get as much media attention as if he went to trial.

Anybody recognize him?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Saw that same episode and wondered the same thing. It looked to me like the guy was answering questions to help the police because he knew it was self-defense. Imagine his surprise when he was arrested! How do you know he was later released?

Anyway, had he NOT been released, he was on tape CONFESSING TO SHOOTING the other guy, because he thought he was an innocent man, with nothing to hide, trying to help police!

If you ever find yourself in this unfortunate situation (having to shoot someone), you'll probably be pretty shaken up. There's plenty of time to cooperate and answer police questions LATER, but in that frame of mind, you might just talk yourself into a jail cell. STFU and if arrested anyway, spend the night in jail thankful you're not the one with a bullet in him. Demand an attorney and good luck.

joeschmo

imported post

There may have been more unbiased witnesses to the shooting, or something we didn't see. As for being on the news, people get arrested for attempted murder every day and don't make it to the news, especially in a neighborhood like that (Cambridge/Twain area). Just because the shooter decidesto say it was self defense doesn't mean it actually was. In any case, unless it is clear 100% self defense, I'm not surprised that he would be arrested and later not charged, since there was probable cause to arrest him.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

joeschmo wrote:
There may have been more unbiased witnesses to the shooting, or something we didn't see. As for being on the news, people get arrested for attempted murder every day and don't make it to the news, especially in a neighborhood like that (Cambridge/Twain area). Just because the shooter decides to say it was self defense doesn't mean it actually was. In any case, unless it is clear 100% self defense, I'm not surprised that he would be arrested and later not charged, since there was probable cause to arrest him.
I have to think that a shooting over PING PONG of all things would make it to the news. Otherwise what point is there in having a free press, or the internet?

I don't remember the shooter saying it was self defense per se, that is just the inference we can make from 'they kept punching me and wouldn't leave'.

I am not surprised at the arrest either, gun vs repeated face punches, but I am surprised that there is no internet news record of a ping pong shooting.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not doubting the police made the right call (at the time), but from the demeanor of the shooter, I concluded he thought he was innocent. I was just pointing out that even if you KNOW it to be a good shoot, STFU. Aren't police officers given the same advice - shut up till you talk to your rep?

joeschmo

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
joeschmo wrote:
There may have been more unbiased witnesses to the shooting, or something we didn't see. As for being on the news, people get arrested for attempted murder every day and don't make it to the news, especially in a neighborhood like that (Cambridge/Twain area). Just because the shooter decides to say it was self defense doesn't mean it actually was. In any case, unless it is clear 100% self defense, I'm not surprised that he would be arrested and later not charged, since there was probable cause to arrest him.
I have to think that a shooting over PING PONG of all things would make it to the news. Otherwise what point is there in having a free press, or the internet?

I don't remember the shooter saying it was self defense per se, that is just the inference we can make from 'they kept punching me and wouldn't leave'.

I am not surprised at the arrest either, gun vs repeated face punches, but I am surprised that there is no internet news record of a ping pong shooting.
The problem is people get arrested or attempt murder every day in Las Vegas. The media does not like to report on things that happen in the bad parts of town becase the people who read the paper and watch the news live in a bubble and don't want to hear it. The area where that happened is about the worst of the worst in town. If the victim had died, maybeit would get a footnote, but probably not even then.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

joeschmo wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
joeschmo wrote:

The problem is people get arrested or attempt murder every day in Las Vegas. The media does not like to report on things that happen in the bad parts of town becase the people who read the paper and watch the news live in a bubble and don't want to hear it. The area where that happened is about the worst of the worst in town. If the victim had died, maybeit would get a footnote, but probably not even then.
Again, it's ping pong. People do not get arrested or attempt murder every day over ping pong in the U.S. - maybe in China and some European countries where it is the most popular sport...

Doesn't matter where in town crazy stuff happens; if some rival gangs are having an epic Double Dutch battle and they come to blows and gunfire over it, I expect to frakking see it on the news just because of the news as entertainment principle.