• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw two people OC'n in Reno today :-)

jrwalker

imported post

Hey all! So I was grocery shopping at the Super Wal Mart over on Mae Ann and Mccarran in north west Reno today. It was about 4:15pm or so, and right as my roommate and I were walking in, two people (man and woman, possibly a couple?) were walking out with bags in hand, with pistols strapped to their hips. They both had black t-shirts on that looked like they had pro-gun phrases written on them, but I couldn't make out exactly what they said as they walked by. Made me feel good seeing more people OC!!! :celebrateSo, just wondering but who was it? Whoever it was should definitely come to the next meet we have! :D

calmp9

imported post

It could be anybody. Hopefully, they check out opencarry.org.

wayneco

imported post

Nice! I was in Reno this weekend but was exhausted and only CCW'ed, didn't have any energy to explain myself to interested parties. People always want to ask about it, I think if you're OCing you need to be fresh and ready to evangelize, my heart just wasn't in it this weekend but I'm delighted to hear that there were others out and about.

I have never had any problems OC'ing in Washoe County over the last couple of years. Let's hope for more drama free carry in western and northern Nevada where freedom still seems to be free. :)

sakeneko

imported post

I'm delighted to say that it *wasn't* myself and my husband, who also live in on that side of Reno and who might well have been seen open carrying at that Walmart, because we shop there too. ;-)

The other evening, however, we were both open carrying when out for a walk after sunset. There's a small park by our condo complex, and two people I'd guess to be in their late 30s/early 40s were there with several large, but well-behaved dogs. They noticed our guns as we walked up, and then commented, "Oh, you aren't cops?". Turned out that they'd had some trouble with an older neighbor of ours who hates large dogs and routinely reports people to the Reno PD if they bring large dogs to that park. We assured them that we weren't police and had nothing against their dogs or others. (In fact, we're both fond of dogs and spent most of the conversation scratching the ears of one or another of their dogs, who were quite friendly and clearly enjoyed the attention.)

The woman admitted she was terrified of guns, so I think that if we see them again a few times, I might suggest that she come out shooting with us and learn how to handle them safely. She's clearly aware that being scared of an inanimate object isn't reasonable, which puts her quite a few steps ahead of most gunphobes I know and suggests that she would be open to getting rid of the phobia. I'm not any sort of expert, but I can teach the four basic laws of gun safety, how to recognize the difference between a revolver and a semiautomatic, and how to unload either one and make it safe. We also have a shotgun; she could shoot them all at the range.

As we left she commented she was glad we were walking around the neighborhood, because the bad guys would probably decide that wasn't where they wanted to be hanging out after dark. So I don't think either of them is likely to think "openly carrying a gun" means either "police" or "bad guy" any more. ;-)

wayneco

imported post

sakeneko as in "sake cat" ??

I have a cute little cat with large anime style eyes so I named her "kawaii chibi neko" which means "cute little cat" in Japanese.

sakeneko

imported post

wayneco wrote:
sakeneko as in "sake cat" ??

I have a cute little cat with large anime style eyes so I named her "kawaii chibi neko" which means "cute little cat" in Japanese.
Yep. "Sake" was the name of a Siamese cat owned by some friends of mine twenty years ago. She was the most utterly fearless animal or human I've ever encountered. Among other things, while just a small kitten she stood up to a mean Doberman Pinscher owned by a neighbor of theirs. Left the poor animal shivering in the corner of his yard. ;-) Sake was as curious as she was unafraid, always wanting to check out anything new. Unfortunately she used up her nine lives before she turned three years old. Fear is no fun, but except when taken to extremes it's a survival trait.

Back in 1996, early in the spam wars on the Internet, a friend mentioned that her cat had gotten spammed by an idiot who insisted that the cat had signed up for the email. We all had a good laugh, and a few weeks later when I wanted an identity I could use in public without exposing my email address to all the spammers out there, I created sakeneko@ <long defunct free email account> in Sake's honor. I still use that ID on most public bulletin boards and forums where I hang out. :)