Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: visiting GA w// question - Public Gathering?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    Is an event a public gathering if it is NOT open to the public?

    I will be attending a convention in Savannah and was wondering how the pbulic gathering ban applies.

    For that matter, does anyone know whether the Savanah Convetion Center is governmernt owned, or owned by a seperate entity?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    question 1 who knows the law is written extremely vague for that reason so it can be applied at officer discretion....

    sorry idk who owns the convention center i know one of them is a govt building but i think theres more than one??

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605

    Post imported post

    ALTHOUGH YOUR EVENT MAY NOT BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC PER SE, PERSONALLY UNTIL THE GEORGIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY REVAMPS GEORGIA'S PUBLIC GATHERING LAW I WOULD NOT TAKE ANY UNNESSECARY CHANCES IN CARRYING IN THERE BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT GET UPSET AND CALL THE LAW.

    THE SAVANNAH POLICE DEPARTMENT IN TURN MIGHT OVERREACT, AND ARREST SOMEONE WITH A FIREARM IN THERE FOR A VIOLATION OF GEORGIAS' PUBLIC GATHERING LAW.

    THE FACT THAT IT SAYS CONVENTION CENTER, IS, IN AND OF ITSELF, MORE PROBALY THAN NOT, ESPECIALLY IN PLACE THE SIZE OF SAVANNAH, GOING TO BE INTERPRETED AS A PUBLIC GATHERING. ESPECIALLY SEEING AS HOW THERE IS GOING TO BE A 'GATHERING' OF SOME SORT, ALTHOUGH THE 'GATHERING' CLEARLY IS NOT A PUBLIC ONE.

    JUST QUITELY LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    aadvark wrote:
    ALTHOUGH YOUR EVENT MAY NOT BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC PER SE, PERSONALLY UNTIL THE GEORGIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY REVAMPS GEORGIA'S PUBLIC GATHERING LAW I WOULD NOT TAKE ANY UNNESSECARY CHANCES IN CARRYING IN THERE BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT GET UPSET AND CALL THE LAW.

    THE SAVANNAH POLICE DEPARTMENT IN TURN MIGHT OVERREACT, AND ARREST SOMEONE WITH A FIREARM IN THERE FOR A VIOLATION OF GEORGIAS' PUBLIC GATHERING LAW.

    THE FACT THAT IT SAYS CONVENTION CENTER, IS, IN AND OF ITSELF, MORE PROBALY THAN NOT, ESPECIALLY IN PLACE THE SIZE OF SAVANNAH, GOING TO BE INTERPRETED AS A PUBLIC GATHERING. ESPECIALLY SEEING AS HOW THERE IS GOING TO BE A 'GATHERING' OF SOME SORT, ALTHOUGH THE 'GATHERING' CLEARLY IS NOT A PUBLIC ONE.

    JUST QUITELY LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE...
    why are you yelling??

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605

    Post imported post

    Actually, I had just discussed this within another forum. They had brought it to my attention that not only writing in all capital letters is considered yelling, but also it is against the rules of this blog. I did not realize that there was an issue before hand, but now I will correct my oversight.

    I will only write in using standard capitalization from now on.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    The reason for not "just leaving it in the car," is that my car will be at the hotel, which is several blocks off river street, which is where I will be getting on the ferry to cross the river, and I do look forward to walking around Savannah unarmed, since I will be returning to cityside late each evening.

    As for someone seeing it and overreacting, a couple of things - everyone attending the convention is from another state, so there is little chance:

    A. anyone finding out since Concealed means Concealed. Unless something freaky happens, no one is going to know.

    B. of anyone freaking out, since I am well-known enough in this organization - I know nearly everyone who will be attending

    C. that any of them know GA laws.

    BUt, if anyone knows who owns the convention center, that would help, since as I understand it, if a governmnetal agency "owns" it, it is a no carry zone.



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    489

    Post imported post

    i open carried down river street on monday, i didnt ride the ferry though. i guess you could call the convention center and ask if they are govt.....

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    Being a local I thought I should chime in.

    The convention center is across the Savannah River, and hence in South Carolina.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    rashley wrote:
    Being a local I thought I should chime in.

    The convention center is across the Savannah River, and hence in South Carolina.
    The convention center is on Hutchinson island, which is in Georgia. The state line is the middle of the river on the north side of the island. (If in doubt, google Westin Savannah and check out the google map)

    Anyway, event has come to an end and as always, concealed means concealed.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    Huh, you're right.

    I asked several people before posting that and every one of us was under the impression that it was in SC.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    Wouldn't the 'Public Gathering' be on the far side of the convention
    center where all the scared sheep ran to when they saw the gun?

    How can they define people in a building as a gathering, but not on MARTA
    you take to the building?

    Looks like I'll be hanging out in the parking lot next month when I get to visit.





  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605

    Post imported post

    Ask our State Legislators..., and pray that they pass HB 615 or something similar next year when they reassemble in January.

    Convention Center or not, Georgians should be allowed to carry in ALL Public Buildings (Courthouse, Jail, City Hall, Police Station, Fire Station, etc.).

  13. #13
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    aadvark wrote:
    Actually, I had just discussed this within another forum. They had brought it to my attention that not only writing in all capital letters is considered yelling, but also it is against the rules of this blog. I did not realize that there was an issue before hand, but now I will correct my oversight.

    I will only write in using standard capitalization from now on.
    That is actually a rule (sometimes written, sometimes unwritten) on every forum on the internet.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605

    Post imported post

    ProShooter in Grammar School, oops, that is a 'Gun Free Zone'!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    Yes, I agree, the law is very vague. An officer can decide that several people standing in a parking lot is a public gathering if he is an, well you know what. The judge may rule in your favor but you just got put through the wringer.

    I worry about that phrase.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,605

    Post imported post

    Although I am not sure of what case it was..., I believe there was a case in Atlanta where a Fulton County Superior Court Judge tried to rule that a group of 4 bored teenagers is a Public Gathering, as codified under 16-11-127, to prohibit carrying Firearms in [that] business...

    I do not know the case number or anything more specific, but that is what I have heard anyway...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •