• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

visiting GA w// question - Public Gathering?

RayBurton72

imported post

Is an event a public gathering if it is NOT open to the public?

I will be attending a convention in Savannah and was wondering how the pbulic gathering ban applies.

For that matter, does anyone know whether the Savanah Convetion Center is governmernt owned, or owned by a seperate entity?

Thanks

rmodel65

imported post

question 1 who knows the law is written extremely vague for that reason so it can be applied at officer discretion....

sorry idk who owns the convention center i know one of them is a govt building but i think theres more than one??

aadvark

imported post

ALTHOUGH YOUR EVENT MAY NOT BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC PER SE, PERSONALLY UNTIL THE GEORGIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY REVAMPS GEORGIA'S PUBLIC GATHERING LAW I WOULD NOT TAKE ANY UNNESSECARY CHANCES IN CARRYING IN THERE BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT GET UPSET AND CALL THE LAW.

THE SAVANNAH POLICE DEPARTMENT IN TURN MIGHT OVERREACT, AND ARREST SOMEONE WITH A FIREARM IN THERE FOR A VIOLATION OF GEORGIAS' PUBLIC GATHERING LAW.

THE FACT THAT IT SAYS CONVENTION CENTER, IS, IN AND OF ITSELF, MORE PROBALY THAN NOT, ESPECIALLY IN PLACE THE SIZE OF SAVANNAH, GOING TO BE INTERPRETED AS A PUBLIC GATHERING. ESPECIALLY SEEING AS HOW THERE IS GOING TO BE A 'GATHERING' OF SOME SORT, ALTHOUGH THE 'GATHERING' CLEARLY IS NOT A PUBLIC ONE.

JUST QUITELY LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE...

rmodel65

imported post

aadvark wrote:
ALTHOUGH YOUR EVENT MAY NOT BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC PER SE, PERSONALLY UNTIL THE GEORGIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY REVAMPS GEORGIA'S PUBLIC GATHERING LAW I WOULD NOT TAKE ANY UNNESSECARY CHANCES IN CARRYING IN THERE BECAUSE SOMEONE MIGHT GET UPSET AND CALL THE LAW.

THE SAVANNAH POLICE DEPARTMENT IN TURN MIGHT OVERREACT, AND ARREST SOMEONE WITH A FIREARM IN THERE FOR A VIOLATION OF GEORGIAS' PUBLIC GATHERING LAW.

THE FACT THAT IT SAYS CONVENTION CENTER, IS, IN AND OF ITSELF, MORE PROBALY THAN NOT, ESPECIALLY IN PLACE THE SIZE OF SAVANNAH, GOING TO BE INTERPRETED AS A PUBLIC GATHERING. ESPECIALLY SEEING AS HOW THERE IS GOING TO BE A 'GATHERING' OF SOME SORT, ALTHOUGH THE 'GATHERING' CLEARLY IS NOT A PUBLIC ONE.

JUST QUITELY LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE...

why are you yelling??

aadvark

imported post

Actually, I had just discussed this within another forum. They had brought it to my attention that not only writing in all capital letters is considered yelling, but also it is against the rules of this blog. I did not realize that there was an issue before hand, but now I will correct my oversight.

I will only write in using standard capitalization from now on.

RayBurton72

imported post

The reason for not "just leaving it in the car," is that my car will be at the hotel, which is several blocks off river street, which is where I will be getting on the ferry to cross the river, and I do look forward to walking around Savannah unarmed, since I will be returning to cityside late each evening.

As for someone seeing it and overreacting, a couple of things - everyone attending the convention is from another state, so there is little chance:

A. anyone finding out since Concealed means Concealed. Unless something freaky happens, no one is going to know.

B. of anyone freaking out, since I am well-known enough in this organization - I know nearly everyone who will be attending

C. that any of them know GA laws.

BUt, if anyone knows who owns the convention center, that would help, since as I understand it, if a governmnetal agency "owns" it, it is a no carry zone.

rmodel65

imported post

i open carried down river street on monday, i didnt ride the ferry though. i guess you could call the convention center and ask if they are govt.....

rashley

imported post

Being a local I thought I should chime in.

The convention center is across the Savannah River, and hence in South Carolina. :dude:

RayBurton72

imported post

rashley wrote:
Being a local I thought I should chime in.

The convention center is across the Savannah River, and hence in South Carolina. :dude:
The convention center is on Hutchinson island, which is in Georgia. The state line is the middle of the river on the north side of the island. (If in doubt, google Westin Savannah and check out the google map)

Anyway, event has come to an end and as always, concealed means concealed.

rashley

imported post

Huh, you're right.

I asked several people before posting that and every one of us was under the impression that it was in SC. :banghead:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Wouldn't the 'Public Gathering' be on the far side of the convention
center where all the scared sheep ran to when they saw the gun? :lol:

How can they define people in a building as a gathering, but not on MARTA
you take to the building?

Looks like I'll be hanging out in the parking lot next month when I get to visit.:cuss:

aadvark

imported post

Ask our State Legislators..., and pray that they pass HB 615 or something similar next year when they reassemble in January.

Convention Center or not, Georgians should be allowed to carry in ALL Public Buildings (Courthouse, Jail, City Hall, Police Station, Fire Station, etc.).

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

aadvark wrote:
Actually, I had just discussed this within another forum. They had brought it to my attention that not only writing in all capital letters is considered yelling, but also it is against the rules of this blog. I did not realize that there was an issue before hand, but now I will correct my oversight.

I will only write in using standard capitalization from now on.
That is actually a rule (sometimes written, sometimes unwritten) on every forum on the internet.

aadvark

imported post

ProShooter in Grammar School, oops, that is a 'Gun Free Zone'!

open4years

imported post

Yes, I agree, the law is very vague. An officer can decide that several people standing in a parking lot is a public gathering if he is an, well you know what. The judge may rule in your favor but you just got put through the wringer.

I worry about that phrase.

aadvark

imported post

Although I am not sure of what case it was..., I believe there was a case in Atlanta where a Fulton County Superior Court Judge tried to rule that a group of 4 bored teenagers is a Public Gathering, as codified under 16-11-127, to prohibit carrying Firearms in [that] business...

I do not know the case number or anything more specific, but that is what I have heard anyway...