• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained in Westland

Michigander

imported post

Maybe now we won't need to do a group protest, but perhaps we should still seal the deal with a picnic in the huge park by the PD. :celebrate

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Can you tell the whole story now?

BTW, CONGRATS!

I'm hoping he will follow up on the illegal detention.

I have heard that a citation is tantamount to arrest, so maybe it can be classified as a false arrest. I really don't have anything solid on that, though.

T Vance

imported post

Citizen wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Can you tell the whole story now?

BTW, CONGRATS!

I'm hoping he will follow up on the illegal detention.

I have heard that a citation is tantamount to arrest, so maybe it can be classified as a false arrest. I really don't have anything solid on that, though.
Yeah, if you plan on filing a lawsuit, don't post on here yet.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

When the other team doesn't show up for a softball game, it goes down on paper as a win, but it's only a default win. A forfeit. Don't get me wrong, Dfox, it's a good thing for you, but all they did was sneak out the back door.

dfox

imported post

Don't know, I am waiting on FOIA request. They called and said it was ready and was $6.00. I asked the person that called me if that included all of the video and audio? She said it was just the police report. I told her i requested ALL of the video, audio that pertained to the stop including the recorded 911 call. She said that the LT only sent the report. I told her that i at least wanted the 911 call and the police report. She said she would return it to the LT and let me know.

mikestilly

imported post

dfox wrote:
Don't know, I am waiting on FOIA request.  They called and said it was ready and was $6.00.  I asked the person that called me if that included all of the video and audio?  She said it was just the police report.  I told her i requested ALL of the video, audio that pertained to the stop including the recorded 911 call.  She said that the LT only sent the report.  I told her that i at least wanted the 911 call and the police report.  She said she would return it to the LT and let me know.

You should get the report, 911 audio, and Audio/Video of the squad car footage. Anything less is not acceptable. Demand it as it is your right to receive it under FOIA. And after any legal proceedings is finished if you would like we could post it on the Youtube site and the world can see what happened.

Mike

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
dfox wrote:
Don't know, I am waiting on FOIA request. They called and said it was ready and was $6.00. I asked the person that called me if that included all of the video and audio? She said it was just the police report. I told her i requested ALL of the video, audio that pertained to the stop including the recorded 911 call. She said that the LT only sent the report. I told her that i at least wanted the 911 call and the police report. She said she would return it to the LT and let me know.

You should get the report, 911 audio, and Audio/Video of the squad car footage. Anything less is not acceptable. Demand it as it is your right to receive it under FOIA. And after any legal proceedings is finished if you would like we could post it on the Youtube site and the world can see what happened.

Mike
I concur make them give you everything you asked for.

dfox

imported post

This is what was sent:

Dear FOIA Coordinator:

Pursuant to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, MCL 15.231, I am requesting copies of doucments that detail the following:

1. With reference to an incident involving a suspicious person or man with a gunreport at 6090 N. Wayne rd, Westland, MI on September 18, 2009 at 13:35.

a. Any recording of a citizen complaint related to the incident;

b. Any police report or final summary related in any way to an incident; and ,

c. Any and all recordings of communications, whether writter, computerized, or audio between officers and/or dispatchers responding to the incident/complaint.

As permitted under the Freedom of Information Act, this is to request that the documents be provided at no charge. If a charge is required, this is athorization for administrative charges not to exceed $50.00. If the cost is expected to exceed this amount, please contact me for further instructions.

Sincerely,

/Edit to correct time.

eastmeyers

imported post

dfox wrote:
1. With reference to an incident involving a suspicious person or man with a gunreport at 6090 N. Wayne rd, Westland, MI on September 18, 2009 at 1335 p.m...

There is no such thing as 1335 pm, just 1335 or 1:35pm.

dfox

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
dfox wrote:
1. With reference to an incident involving a suspicious person or man with a gunreport at 6090 N. Wayne rd, Westland, MI on September 18, 2009 at 1335 p.m...

There is no such thing as 1335 pm, just 1335 or 1:35pm.
You are correct, I was typing from a draft version, the original said 13:35. :banghead: I have corrected.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
dougwg wrote:
STONEWALLING
I agree! They know they F'd up so now they are trying to cover tracks!
This is always to be expected. Off the top of my head, I can think of only one FOIA I've ever filed where I got a suitable and fair response. Right from the start, you always should expect a high price and/or a lack of the stuff you asked for. If you had a risk of losing a lot of money in a law suit, or perhaps losing your job and going to prison, wouldn't you try to hide evidence too?

But this isn't all bad, especially if you're being prosecuted. At trial, you can file a motion to dismiss charges based on being denied evidence against you if they don't completely and totally give you every bit of evidence they have.

ghostrider

imported post

Is there a legal course of action to take when the agency's either erase the video evidence, or they just don't comply with the FOIA request? Seems like they know that there is no accountability, so they continue to do it.