• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Mayor Nickels sets stage for legal brawl

kwiebe

imported post

Good article. The more I think about Nickels, the more "sense" this makes, since the trend in politics right now is to preach to the people what the politicians say should be done, vs. serving the will of the people.

The days of such politicians' careers surely must be numbered.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wouldn't it be something, if Nickles ended up being charged with a criminal violation by the state, if he goes ahead with his plan?

It sounds to me like he would be violating both the State and US Constitutions with this ban.

joeroket

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Wouldn't it be something, if Nickles ended up being charged with a criminal violation by the state, if he goes ahead with his plan?

It sounds to me like he would be violating both the State and US Constitutions with this ban.

Unfortunately there is no penalty for violating Wa. pre-emption.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

Yeah there is!

It's called the "voting the sucker out of office" statute. ;)

joeroket

imported post

deanf wrote:

I thought so too, but read 9.41.810:
Any violation of any provision of this chapter (9.41), except as otherwise provided, shall be a misdemeanor and punishable accordingly.
OK so there is a punishment written out but who gets charged? The mayor for proposing it or the city council members for enacting it?

aadvark

imported post

Seatlle Mayor Nickels should be arrested, publicly, and charged under Washington State Code 9A.80.010. His actions, trying to blantly trump State-wide Firearms preemption are resemblant of Official Misconduct because:

He attentionally commited anunauthorized act under the color of Law, the color of Law beingHis Office as Mayor of Seattle.

When He is arrestedHe should be forced to listen,in the Court of Law, to Washington State Code 9.41.290.

He should be removed from His Office asMayor of Seattle and charged with a gross misdemeanor.

Dave Workman

imported post

Let's bump back to reality for a second.

He's not going to be arrested. Fuggetaboutit.

He's already been "removed from office" due to his third-place finish in the August primary. He's out at the end of the year, regardless.

If he goes through with this he will be sued, and he will leave that lawsuit as his "parting gift" to the voters of Seattle who had enoigh of his bully puplit arrogance. As I said in the column, "his reign was called on account of snow."

Don't bother with wishful thinking that he would be "forced to listen" to an RCW. He's not going to absorb any of it, even on the outside chance that this fantasy scenario might unfold.