• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed VS Open Carry

ArnoldsPupil

imported post

Greetings to all Georgians and others.

My first post so be nice.

Im a husband and father of 4 who has been carrying concealed since I was 21 in several states.

Only pulled a gun once and never had to shoot anyone. Had guns pulled on me.

After reading about a thousand posts on line and even though I like concealed better as it gives me the opportunity of surprise I think Im going to OC here in GA to exercise my rights and bring into view for others to learn about this situation.

I use a Don Hume H715M housing a Glock 21SFfor CC. (No Flmes) now looking for holsters for my Kimber Ultra CarryII and the G21SF from Barber leather Works.

Any suggestions for an OC hoster. I like leather.

Am I to understand that if I were using this holsterand the butt end of my pistol can be seen this would be OC and that I can really carry it either way with no problems or does it have to be totally seen? Probably just answered myown question

I suppose this will make me feel a little different as i have CC'd for 25 years.

Anyway I really am enjoying this forum and site / organization and plan to become a member.

Peace

aadvark

imported post

IN GEORGIA YOU MAY OPEN CARRY ANY PISTOL, ANY HANDGUN, OR ANY REVOLVER WITH OR WITHOUT A HOLSTER SO AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A VALID GEORGIA FIREARMS LICENSE.

NOW, IF THE HANDGUN, PISTOL, OR REVOLVER IS CONCEALED, THEN, YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE IT IN A HOLSTER.

IF THE BUTT END OF THE PISTOL IN QUESTION IS READILY VIEWABLE, AND ANY REASONABLE OR PRUDENT PERSON KNOWS, OR SHOULD KNOW, THAT IT IS INDEED A PISTOL, ETC., THEN, YOU DO NOT NEED IT IN A HOLSTER.

IF YOU CARRY A PISTOL CONCEALED IN GEORGIA, AND IT IS NOT IN A HOLSTER, THEN, YOU CAN BE CHARGED WITH CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON.

GET A GEORGIA FIREARMS LICENSE, IF YOU HAVE THE SPARE TIME AND MONEY, IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY HAVE AN EQUIVALANT LICENSE FROM ANOTHER STATE THAT GEORGIA RECONIZES!!! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AS YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE CHARGED WITH CARRYING A PISTOL WITHOUT A LICENSE!!!

AS A PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE, PLEASE READ GEORGIA CODES 16-11-126 THROUGH 16-11-128, AND PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO GEORGIA PUBLIC GATHERING CODES: 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, AND 16-11-127.2!!! UNFORTUANATELY IN THESE PLACES IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU OPEN CARRY OR CONCEAL CARRY, IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE FIREARM IS LOADED OR UNLOADED, AND IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE A VALID GEORGIA FIREARMS LICENSE OR NOT... BE CAREFUL!!!

AS FOR THE HOLSTER YOU CHOOSE, WELL..., THAT IS UP TO YOU!

aadvark

imported post

WE ALL HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY IN GEORGIA, AND FEEL FREE TO ASKANY FIREARMS OR WEAPONS QUESTIONS THAT YOU WOULD LIKE ANSWERED!

aadvark

imported post

I am very sorry about writing in all capital letters, asI did not realize it was a rule of this forum not to do so.

Jerry

imported post

So what part of Georgia are you in? Have you joined GCO?

ArnoldsPupil wrote:
Greetings to all Georgians and others.

My first post so be nice.

Im a husband and father of 4 who has been carrying concealed since I was 21 in several states.

Only pulled a gun once and never had to shoot anyone. Had guns pulled on me.

After reading about a thousand posts on line and even though I like concealed better as it gives me the opportunity of surprise I think Im going to OC here in GA to exercise my rights and bring into view for others to learn about this situation.

I use a Don Hume H715M housing a Glock 21SFfor CC. (No Flmes) now looking for holsters for my Kimber Ultra CarryII and the G21SF from Barber leather Works.

Any suggestions for an OC hoster. I like leather.

Am I to understand that if I were using this holsterand the butt end of my pistol can be seen this would be OC and that I can really carry it either way with no problems or does it have to be totally seen? Probably just answered myown question

I suppose this will make me feel a little different as i have CC'd for 25 years.

Anyway I really am enjoying this forum and site / organization and plan to become a member.

Peace

mark5019

imported post

Carrying firearms Short Version Basically to carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (outside of your home, your car, or your business), you must have a Georgia Firearm License issued under code 16-11-129 and the concealed handgun must be carried in any type of holster or any other securing device. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.
Long Version [align=center]There are 2 seperate laws of Georgia that address the carrying of firearms in public. You can be violating one or both depending on your actions.[/align] Concealed Weapons: are defined as any bludgeon (asp baton, nun chucks, ect), metal knuckles, firearm (this means ANY firearm capable of being concealed, not just handguns), knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense (swords, ballistic knives), or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument that is not carried in an open manner and fully exposed to view. For weapons to be considered not to be concealed, the weapon grip or the handle must NOT be hidden or covered up by the person's clothing or in the person's pockets (unless the grip is completely exposed). Weapons MUST be able to be visible through ordinary observation. This law does not apply to carrying a concealed weapon in a person's own home, and place of business (including the property of the business is located on IF it is owned by the business owner). You do not have to have permission from the owner in order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business (however that does NOT mean you cannot be fired for carrying without permission). This law does not permit, outside of a person's home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and even then the person may only carry the pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm only in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, or any other holster (ankle holster, crotch holster, fanny pack holster, pocket holster,ect) and also a hipgrip or any other similar securing device (a hipgrip is a type of grip that has a clip sticking out to hook on to your belt or pants, a similar device to the hipgrip is a clip) at which point the weapon MAY BE concealed by the person's clothing, or handbag, purse, briefcase, or any other close container. (Concealed carry is an option but is NOT required to carry a firearm. Firearms can be openly carried. However if you are concealing, the firearm MUST be carried in a holster, clip or similar type of securing device)
This code section does not forbid the carrying of a loaded handgun in any private motor vehicle by a person who is not licensed, but also who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, in an open manner and totally exposed to view. For those who are not listed as ineligible for a license (found below in the "Firearm License Carrying" section) may also place the gun anywhere inside the vehicle. A person who has a license issued under code 16-11-129 may carry a loaded handgun in any location, openly or concealed, in the vehicle. (This section does not address the legality of concealing a loaded rifle or shotgun in one's motor vehicle. I would assume that if you have a license then you would be fine, but use common sense and caution)Violation of this code section is a misdemeanor for a first offense and a felony for a 2nd or subsequent offense.(16-11-126)
Carrying a pistol without a license: You must have a license to carry a handgun, openly or concealed, outside of your own home, place of business, and motor vehicle. If you are carrying a handgun to or from your home or place of business and cross over any property not owned by you, then you would be in violation of carry a pistol without a license if you did not have a license. This law only applies to carrying handguns and does NOT apply to rifles or shotguns, so a person could carry a rifle or shotgun openly, not concealed, in public and not be in violation of the law. The only exception to this law is no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner. Violation of this code section is a misdemeanor for a first offense and a felony for a 2nd or subsequent offense.(16-11-128)
Employment exception: Persons employed in certain jobs (whether at work or off-duty) are exempt from the 2 laws above. Jobs such as peace officer, Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense, persons in the military service of the state or of the United States, and others. Please see 16-11-130 for the full list.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ArnoldsPupil wrote:
...it gives me the opportunity of surprise...
I'm not trying to start a fight, just want you to consider this.

Exactly what is the use of 'surprise' in a DEFENSIVE situation?

Is it not better to avoid the whole matter to begin with? That is what OC does. Why let a situation get so far as to need to draw, when simply letting it be seen can end a problem before it even starts?

I've had an experience in which I had to defend my own child from an attacker. I think he deserved better than to be forced to experience that. Had my weapon been visible to begin with, it never would have happened. I had to draw and make it visible to end the incident. there is just no getting around it. Prevention is worth more than 'surprise' after the fact....

Disagree if you want. But when someone is trying to smash in your car window with your son in a car seat, you'll wonder why you let it get to that point.

usaf0906

imported post

ixtow wrote:
ArnoldsPupil wrote:
I'm not trying to start a fight, just want you to consider this.

Exactly what is the use of 'surprise' in a DEFENSIVE situation?

Is it not better to avoid the whole matter to begin with? That is what OC does. Why let a situation get so far as to need to draw, when simply letting it be seen can end a problem before it even starts?

I've had an experience in which I had to defend my own child from an attacker. I think he deserved better than to be forced to experience that. Had my weapon been visible to begin with, it never would have happened. I had to draw and make it visible to end the incident. there is just no getting around it. Prevention is worth more than 'surprise' after the fact....

Disagree if you want. But when someone is trying to smash in your car window with your son in a car seat, you'll wonder why you let it get to that point.

I heard/read a quote somewhere "The only surprise will be when the bad guy is on you and you are surprised at how useless your concealed firearm is"

With that said, good situational awareness is always key, and probably not a issue for most people that carry. As ixtow said, OC can solve the situation before it even starts.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

ixtow wrote:
ArnoldsPupil wrote:
Had my weapon been visible to begin with, it never would have happened.

Have you had lunch with your legislator and asked him to repeal the law that makes it illegal to expose your weapon in Florida?

Very few states have such a silly law (what, 6 or so?). The majority of states (27, to be exact) do not even require a license while carrying a pistol openly.

If not you, then who? Everything has to start somewhere.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
ixtow wrote:
ArnoldsPupil wrote:
Had my weapon been visible to begin with, it never would have happened.

Have you had lunch with your legislator and asked him to repeal the law that makes it illegal to expose your weapon in Florida?

Very few states have such a silly law (what, 6 or so?). The majority of states (27, to be exact) do not even require a license while carrying a pistol openly.

If not you, then who? Everything has to start somewhere.
It is a lost cause here. The only reason CC persists, is because most of the voters aren't even aware of it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Nonsense. Get to work! :D
Pff, I'm trying to escape. Any efforts on that front would just be a futile waste. My time is better spent OCing in a REAL state, discouraging the spread.

Stick a fork in FL, it's done.

us_soldier

imported post

Kimber has thier own leather holsters. I have a real nice black leather Galco holster as well as a Fobus Roto holster for my .38 revolver.