• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry from Illinois

halal6

imported post

I'm not sure if this has been addressed already but I live in Illinois and want to drive to Milwaukee.

I wonder if I can Open carry as I am not a Wisconsin resident and my home state doesnt allow OC

gbu28

imported post

You definitely can not open carry while in your vehicle. Milwaukee is difficult to open carry in public because of all the school zones.

Make sure you know the laws and specifically the school zones if you want to oc on public property. Those things can be found in these various threads.

edit: btw, if you're asking because you're not a resident, that's irrelevant to if you can open carry or not in Wisconsin :)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

halal6 wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been addressed already but I live in Illinois and want to drive to Milwaukee.

I wonder if I can Open carry as I am not a Wisconsin resident and my home state doesnt allow OC

Your state of residence makes no difference here. You can OC under the same rules and laws that we residents can but you need to make SURE you know the law.

This will help: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

You are probably mostly SOL as you can't carry in your car or within 1,000ft of school property unless it's on private property.

If you do find the opportunity, you are as welcome to do it as we are.

ETA: gbu28 beat me to most of this.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

You are probably mostly SOL as you can't carry in your car or within 1,000ft of school property unless it's on private property.
Not SOL. There are thousands and thousands of opportunities to carry in and around Milwaukee. I do on a daily basis.

I suspect most of the places you are going will be private property (stores, etc) As such, when you are on private property be secure in your right to carry. (exceptions being places where liquor is consumed.

If you want to go for a walk down the street or public sidewalk in Milwaukee, that is when the school zone issue would be a concern for you.

The REALITY of the law is you have to knowingly violate a school zone. That means if you are walking down the street in a neighborhood you aren't familiar with, as long as you can't see a school and don't know you are violating the school zone, you have a defense in court. Having said that, POLICE ARE NOT likely going to be the ones to decide "knowingly" and you'll likely be arrested. Thats enough of a pain in the ass to take caution to find out where school zones are ahead of time and avoid them.

But as I said.. If you DO find yourself in a situation remember the cardinal rule. "Don't talk to police"

(watch the videos)

If you decide to talk to police remind yourself of cardinal rule #2 "Don't talk to police!"

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA