Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question to some of the more Southern of Folks here

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I was planning to return to Williamsburg possibly several times in the next few months, and I was wondering what the attitude is down there on the Colonial properties as to how they feel about firearms. I know a lot of people would just claim that an area like that would be totally safe, but Im not about to let some drunk frat guy put me, my misses, family, or whomever Im with in danger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    OC - Kimber Custom II - trijicon night sights, beveled mag well, and Wilson combat mags
    CC/OC Sig Sauer 229 - trijicon night sights

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    I was planning to return to Williamsburg possibly several times in the next few months, and I was wondering what the attitude is down there on the Colonial properties as to how they feel about firearms. I know a lot of people would just claim that an area like that would be totally safe, but Im not about to let some drunk frat guy put me, my misses, family, or whomever Im with in danger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a post floating around here somewhere with an awesome OC story in colonial Williamsburg.

The writer related OCing in colonialWilliamsburg. At one point while walking about seeing the sights, he was passed by several "redcoats" in a group. One commented to his officer somethingto the effectthat the "colonial" was armed, and asked whether he should arrest the upstart.

The officer replied something to the effect, "No, thesecolonials won't amount to anything."

Things may have changed since then, so don't take this as the final answer.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I OC'd for a few hours in the Colonial area of Williamsburg a few nights ago. No problems or :shock:.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Ahh, here it is, and yes, well worth the read!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54

TFred

Post imported post

Omg that was an awesome story. I can't wait to go down now. I'll be on colonial property the whole time, so I doubt I need to worry about anything more. Thanks for posting that story tfred. I tried to search but gmu can't keep a consistent wireless connection to save it's life
    OC - Kimber Custom II - trijicon night sights, beveled mag well, and Wilson combat mags

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    Omg that was an awesome story. I can't wait to go down now. I'll be on colonial property the whole time, so I doubt I need to worry about anything more.
    make sure you let us know how things went and keep your digital audio recorder on!
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    Omg that was an awesome story. I can't wait to go down now. I'll be on colonial property the whole time, so I doubt I need to worry about anything more. Thanks for posting that story tfred. I tried to search but gmu can't keep a consistent wireless connection to save it's life
    Welcome aboard! I see you're in my neck of the woods.. glad to have you out and about.

Please do report the results of your trip to Williamsburg.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I am former Williamsburg SO. You won't have any problems. Enjoy your stay in our beautiful little town!
    Bitka Sve Reava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

I OC'd there and no one even noticed as far as I know. Of course I was pushing a stroller too

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I spend a lot of time there. We are foundation members and I spend as much time as I can with the carpenters, gunsmiths and blacksmiths. (Us Rednecks like to learn a better way)

I have never had anyone say a word about OC. It's rare to even see the PD. They're there, but very low key. The time I have spoken to one, OC was never mentioned and the conversation were alway polite and professional. The Colonial area has security. Same comment as made for the PD.

The Pottery Factory might be a problem. The guard at the gate is kinda a PITA but the times I oc'ed there, my jacket might have accidentally fallen over the gun I wasn't carrying.

Even the tourists seem to not notice. Very little:what:

Post imported post

W&M isn't a big party school. I doubt you'll see many drunk frat boys. Colonial Williamsburg probably isn't where they would be hanging out anyway, except maybe by the governor's palace at night (an old W&M tradition).

Post imported post

The guard at the gate is kinda a PITA but the times I oc'ed there, my jacket might have accidentally fallen over the gun I wasn't carrying.
    That's a good one.

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
    W&M isn't a big party school. I doubt you'll see many drunk frat boys. Colonial Williamsburg probably isn't where they would be hanging out anyway, except maybe by the governor's palace at night (an old W&M tradition).

I know that one of the star swimmers ended up passed out in some bushes somewhere on DOG street... And I wouldnt count on visitors to do the same thing. Im just mildly paranoid. Seven years in grocery stores of constantly looking for suspicious activity has led to a twitchy eye I think.

Post imported post

Colonial Parkway goes thru W'burg and many take the parkway when visiting the area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it is federal property, isn't it still verboten to OC or CC while on it? I just wouldn't want us to give Nightmare the idea that everything around there is cool for OC when it might not be.

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    Colonial Parkway goes thru W'burg and many take the parkway when visiting the area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it is federal property, isn't it still verboten to OC or CC while on it? I just wouldn't want us to give Nightmare the idea that everything around there is cool for OC when it might not be.
    Eh, it would prolly be stored in the trunk until I finally get there and get the chance to put it on. My car has some aggressive bucket seats that make my Serpa a little awkward riding, and digs the beavertail into my side a bit. As paranoid as I am, no one is gonna try to carjack me at 70+ mph. And if they try, Ill just mash the gas.

Post imported post

Your comment is reminiscent of someone saying they're just going a few blocks over to the grocery store, so they don't need to wear their seat belt. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing in those circumstances, but I think we all tend to talk ourselves into thinking whatever we're already doing is the best way to go.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

I see what youre saying... But Ill respectfully disagree. Im only gonna be carrying around the Colonial property, not on the parkway or driving anywhere else for that matter.

Post imported post

You have a period piece to blend in?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    VA Lawyer wrote:
    W&M isn't a big party school.* I doubt you'll see many drunk frat boys.* Colonial Williamsburg probably isn't where they would be hanging out anyway, except maybe by the governor's palace at night (an old W&M tradition).

I know that one of the star swimmers ended up passed out in some bushes somewhere on DOG street... And I wouldnt count on visitors to do the same thing. Im just mildly paranoid. Seven years in grocery stores of constantly looking for suspicious activity has led to a twitchy eye I think.
    That's probably because it's the first time he'd ever consumed alcoholic beverages. The one year I spent there, long ago and far away, I observed that it's the kind of place where boys and girls don't talk to each other, and everyone's got scoliosis from carrying too many books around. Too bad they didn't have any good professors, though their student selection criteria pretty much guarantees good results. When I was there, they had the lowest starting salary of any college in the country, and the prof's told me they were only there for three to five years in order to put "The College of William and Mary in Virginia" on their resumes.

But back to the main topic, what about carrying inside the colonial shops on DOG St. & in the Visitors' Center?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
    VA Lawyer wrote:

That's probably because it's the first time he'd ever consumed alcoholic beverages. The one year I spent there, long ago and far away, I observed that it's the kind of place where boys and girls don't talk to each other, and everyone's got scoliosis from carrying too many books around. Too bad they didn't have any good professors, though their student selection criteria pretty much guarantees good results. When I was there, they had the lowest starting salary of any college in the country, and the prof's told me they were only there for three to five years in order to put "The College of William and Mary in Virginia" on their resumes.

But back to the main topic, what about carrying inside the colonial shops on DOG St. & in the Visitors' Center?
    My brother graduated from there and completed law school there also. I never saw any serious party people...pretty dull actually!

User, I've never had any issues in the shops or the visitor center either.
    Of course, I usually have Zeus, so I doubt anyone even noticed I had a gun on

Post imported post

Zeus gives DOG St. new meaning.

Where do the lightning bolts come out?

What is that, Dalmation/Great Dane?

I hope when Ruger grows up, he'll be equally impressive:

Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Of course, I usually have Zeus, so I doubt anyone even noticed I had a gun on
    What's a "Zeus"? Is it hiding behind the horse?

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

That's a beautiful looking dog user!

Post imported post

user wrote:
    Zeus gives DOG St. new meaning.

Where do the lightning bolts come out?

What is that, Dalmation/Great Dane?

I hope when Ruger grows up, he'll be equally impressive:
    Beautiful PUP user!

Zeus is a purebred Harlequin Great Dane. He still has about 50 pounds to grow. He's a little over a year old now and Danes grow a year up and a year out.

Ruger has the pose.
    They all like to have that regal pose for pictures.

Post imported post

God those are some nice dogs.

But I think I remember seeing Zues! Not too many dogs that big down at DOG street, I just wish I could remember when it was! Were you down about mid June at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast