• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A question to some of the more Southern of Folks here

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

I was planning to return to Williamsburg possibly several times in the next few months, and I was wondering what the attitude is down there on the Colonial properties as to how they feel about firearms. I know a lot of people would just claim that an area like that would be totally safe, but Im not about to let some drunk frat guy put me, my misses, family, or whomever Im with in danger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
I was planning to return to Williamsburg possibly several times in the next few months, and I was wondering what the attitude is down there on the Colonial properties as to how they feel about firearms. I know a lot of people would just claim that an area like that would be totally safe, but Im not about to let some drunk frat guy put me, my misses, family, or whomever Im with in danger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a post floating around here somewhere with an awesome OC story in colonial Williamsburg.

The writer related OCing in colonialWilliamsburg. At one point while walking about seeing the sights, he was passed by several "redcoats" in a group. One commented to his officer somethingto the effectthat the "colonial" was armed, and asked whether he should arrest the upstart.

The officer replied something to the effect, "No, thesecolonials won't amount to anything."

Things may have changed since then, so don't take this as the final answer.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Omg that was an awesome story. I can't wait to go down now. I'll be on colonial property the whole time, so I doubt I need to worry about anything more.
make sure you let us know how things went and keep your digital audio recorder on!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Omg that was an awesome story. I can't wait to go down now. I'll be on colonial property the whole time, so I doubt I need to worry about anything more. Thanks for posting that story tfred. I tried to search but gmu can't keep a consistent wireless connection to save it's life
Welcome aboard! I see you're in my neck of the woods.. glad to have you out and about.

Please do report the results of your trip to Williamsburg.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I spend a lot of time there. We are foundation members and I spend as much time as I can with the carpenters, gunsmiths and blacksmiths. (Us Rednecks like to learn a better way:lol:)

I have never had anyone say a word about OC. It's rare to even see the PD. They're there, but very low key. The time I have spoken to one, OC was never mentioned and the conversation were alway polite and professional. The Colonial area has security. Same comment as made for the PD.

The Pottery Factory might be a problem. The guard at the gate is kinda a PITA but the times I oc'ed there, my jacket might have accidentally fallen over the gun I wasn't carrying.

Even the tourists seem to not notice. Very little:what:

VA Lawyer

imported post

W&M isn't a big party school. I doubt you'll see many drunk frat boys. Colonial Williamsburg probably isn't where they would be hanging out anyway, except maybe by the governor's palace at night (an old W&M tradition).

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
W&M isn't a big party school. I doubt you'll see many drunk frat boys. Colonial Williamsburg probably isn't where they would be hanging out anyway, except maybe by the governor's palace at night (an old W&M tradition).
I know that one of the star swimmers ended up passed out in some bushes somewhere on DOG street... And I wouldnt count on visitors to do the same thing. Im just mildly paranoid. Seven years in grocery stores of constantly looking for suspicious activity has led to a twitchy eye I think.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Colonial Parkway goes thru W'burg and many take the parkway when visiting the area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it is federal property, isn't it still verboten to OC or CC while on it? I just wouldn't want us to give Nightmare the idea that everything around there is cool for OC when it might not be.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Colonial Parkway goes thru W'burg and many take the parkway when visiting the area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it is federal property, isn't it still verboten to OC or CC while on it? I just wouldn't want us to give Nightmare the idea that everything around there is cool for OC when it might not be.
Eh, it would prolly be stored in the trunk until I finally get there and get the chance to put it on. My car has some aggressive bucket seats that make my Serpa a little awkward riding, and digs the beavertail into my side a bit. As paranoid as I am, no one is gonna try to carjack me at 70+ mph. And if they try, Ill just mash the gas.

TexasNative

imported post

Your comment is reminiscent of someone saying they're just going a few blocks over to the grocery store, so they don't need to wear their seat belt. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing in those circumstances, but I think we all tend to talk ourselves into thinking whatever we're already doing is the best way to go.

~ Boyd

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
VA Lawyer wrote:
W&M isn't a big party school.  I doubt you'll see many drunk frat boys.  Colonial Williamsburg probably isn't where they would be hanging out anyway, except maybe by the governor's palace at night (an old W&M tradition).
I know that one of the star swimmers ended up passed out in some bushes somewhere on DOG street... And I wouldnt count on visitors to do the same thing. Im just mildly paranoid. Seven years in grocery stores of constantly looking for suspicious activity has led to a twitchy eye I think.

That's probably because it's the first time he'd ever consumed alcoholic beverages. The one year I spent there, long ago and far away, I observed that it's the kind of place where boys and girls don't talk to each other, and everyone's got scoliosis from carrying too many books around. Too bad they didn't have any good professors, though their student selection criteria pretty much guarantees good results. When I was there, they had the lowest starting salary of any college in the country, and the prof's told me they were only there for three to five years in order to put "The College of William and Mary in Virginia" on their resumes.

But back to the main topic, what about carrying inside the colonial shops on DOG St. & in the Visitors' Center?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

user wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
VA Lawyer wrote:

That's probably because it's the first time he'd ever consumed alcoholic beverages. The one year I spent there, long ago and far away, I observed that it's the kind of place where boys and girls don't talk to each other, and everyone's got scoliosis from carrying too many books around. Too bad they didn't have any good professors, though their student selection criteria pretty much guarantees good results. When I was there, they had the lowest starting salary of any college in the country, and the prof's told me they were only there for three to five years in order to put "The College of William and Mary in Virginia" on their resumes.

But back to the main topic, what about carrying inside the colonial shops on DOG St. & in the Visitors' Center?
My brother graduated from there and completed law school there also. I never saw any serious party people...pretty dull actually!

User, I've never had any issues in the shops or the visitor center either.
Of course, I usually have Zeus, so I doubt anyone even noticed I had a gun on:lol:

z3-1.jpg