• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SA 1911 gi?

lowlander91

imported post

Hellothe next gun im looking buy is the springfield armory gi 1911 parkenized. local shop has one for 559.99. i was wondering if any of you had experience with this gun and if you think it would be a good carry selection. I like because it has such a classic look and is american made.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

lowlander91 wrote:
Hellothe next gun im looking buy is the springfield armory gi 1911 parkenized. local shop has one for 559.99. i was wondering if any of you had experience with this gun and if you think it would be a good carry selection. I like because it has such a classic look and is american made.
Mine is older that the 'G.I.' edition... but it's the same gun. I've had this puppy for over 20 years w/o a problem.

imported post

I love 1911's, period. I've shot many over the years, owned several, of various makes.

My current 1911 is a Rock Island Armory basic GI model -- it's been as rock-solid and reliable as can be -- and it shoots as well or better than any other 1911 I've owned/shot/used/whatever.

Pretty good deal for $300.00 NIB (yeah, it was a couple of years ago).

Can't go wrong with a 1911...

.45acp

imported post

You'll not go wrong with the Springfield....you could spend more money, but for a self defense carry gun, you'll not get anymore.

This GI 1911 is a great firearm. Lets us know what you think after you get 500 rounds through it.

Steve

lowlander91

imported post

Bought it today at cabelas since the local shop never got it in. Its beautiful ill try to get pics up but no camera atm. It feels alot better on my hip then my dan wesson 15 in 357 with its over sized grips.

RJ

Banned
imported post

To echo some other posts, hard to go wrong with a 1911 platform unit.

My daily carry in one size or another for 30 plus years, feels like, like comfort.
RJ

lowlander91

imported post

hey does any one know if the gi feeds hollow points i heard some models like ht high standard and rock island cant feed them. So any info on this would be appreciated

RJ

Banned
imported post

I've got a couple RIA;s and they have fed HP without issues, did have a magazine issue, the factory mag was a little finicky, but got it worked out.
Several have over 5k rds thru them with negligent amt. of issues. Have had more with my colts.
I've been looking at the Metro arms units, they are nice looking, so have them on my short list at the moment.
thanks for sharing
rj

lowlander91

imported post

finally got to take it out today. shot 100 lead about 20 fmj then 14 hp it was picky with the hp at first but once I got it broken in it was working without a hitch .