• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sight Problem

Sealgar

imported post

I have a S&W9MM that prints low at even 15 yards with all ammo. It came with Novak sights. The S&W site had nothing in the way of higher rear sights to correct the problem. Any suggestions?

jim

buzzsaw

imported post

If you have conducted sufficient and consistent experiments to be certain this is true and cant adjust the sights I would suggest that you aim higher.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Did someone add after-market sights, or did you buy it new-in-the-box?

How far "low" does it print? An inch? Two inches?Sand-bagged/rested?

Have you contacted the factory to see if they will fix the problem so it shoots fairly close to point of aim? I did that years ago with a semi-auto pistol; the factory fixed it, although it was not S&W.

PDinDetroit

imported post

I have both a S&W M&P 9 and 45. Both have a tendency to shoot low and left and have read others' same experience, although they are getting better the more I have shot them as they are "seasoning" (takes a few hundred rounds from what I hear). This happens even when "bench rest" shooting, but just a little less (holding on top of sandbags).

To correct the low: I line up the Bottom of the Front Dot with the Top Posts of the Rear Sights and place the Front Dot right on the Bulls-eye. You can see down the barrel of the slide this way as well.

To correct the left: Shooting Right-Handed, I place my off-hand in an overlapping grip and firmly pull back against the 3 fingers of my right hand.

Your mileage may vary...

RSF

imported post

Its called learning to press the trigger straight back to the rear with out sight disruption

low and low left are the most comoon issue shooters face when snatching the gun

Sealgar

imported post

Apologies for taking so long to get back to this.

I don't shoot low with any other firearm, and the pistol shoots about the same when friends use it. I adjusted the sights to hit center, but it still hits about 3" low at 15 yds, and just over 5" low at 25 yds. Firing from a rest or off hand makes no difference aspoint of impact isthe same either way. This is an ex-Louisville PD gun and is in excellent condition as it was not carried much if at all. If the front sight is raised about half it's height above the rear sight, then it hits on the money.

I'm thinking of going to the 147 gr. JHP to see if that helps. I hate to file the sights, but it may be either that or replace the front sight if I can find a shorter one. I'll also call the factory to see what they say.

Capn Camo

imported post

I have a Glock 26 guilty of the same thing, until I raised the front pin above the rear window, instead of inside. Put a round thru ol' Osama bin Ladens 8-1/2 x 11 head target at 10 yds... it reliably shot a foot low at near targets. I dont know why it does it, sights arent adjustable, I assume its to keep the rear sight as low as possible on a concealed carry-able weapon.