• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to conceal gun (Bed Bath and Beyond)

Lank

imported post

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond in Norwalk for probably less than five minutes tonight before the shift supervisor approached me and told me I should conceal my gun. She didn't say anything about legalities the whole time I was talking to her - her concern was that there could be children or crazies in the store or that it might alarm customers. After a short conversation I gladly agreed to put the gun away (I knew there was no way I could reasonably conceal it with the shirt I was wearing). I locked it in the glove box in my car and came back in.

I was looking for a gift and they happened to have what I needed so I still bought from the store. There was no reason to be spiteful really. The supervisor and all the other employees were completely polite the whole time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Really sorry to hear that. :(

+1 more for making others feel good, one nick at a time.

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Lank wrote:
I was in Bed Bath and Beyond in Norwalk for probably less than five minutes tonight before the shift supervisor approached me and told me I should conceal my gun. She didn't say anything about legalities the whole time I was talking to her - her concern was that there could be children or crazies in the store or that it might alarm customers. After a short conversation I gladly agreed to put the gun away (I knew there was no way I could reasonably conceal it with the shirt I was wearing). I locked it in the glove box in my car and came back in.

I was looking for a gift and they happened to have what I needed so I still bought from the store. There was no reason to be spiteful really. The supervisor and all the other employees were completely polite the whole time.

Well, that's a reasonable way, one of a few, to have handled the problem.

Thanks for sharing the story. I hope you don't get too much grief from the hardliners here...oops, I see one has already chimed in.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Did she say she had gotten complaints regarding kids and crazies or could get complaints.

Seems a bit silly to pre-emptively cause an issue where one might not even exist at all.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Good to hear that you handled the situation politely and without getting upset over it.

I may have went to another BB&B to do my shopping, but then we have more than a few in my area.

I might have told her that "crazies" are the reason that I carry always!

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
Lank wrote:

Thanks for sharing the story. I hope you don't get too much grief from the hardliners here...oops, I see one has already chimed in.
I see the "anti" has already chimed in....

Decoligny

imported post

wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
Lank wrote:

And if he had been using HankT's RFID system, the reader in the door could have already alerted the police and help would have been on the way. The police would have the OPs identity and photo in hand before arrival, and would have been well prepared to violate the rest of his rights. :uhoh:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"her concern was that there could be children or crazies in the store..."

Children do not go into apoplectic fits of terror when they see a 'gun'.

Apparently they'd preferto cater to'crazies' at the expense of the responible sane.

I'd have taken my business elsewhere.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius 121-80 AD, Roman Emperor, Philosopher

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
Lank wrote:

And if he had been using HankT's RFID system, the reader in the door could have already alerted the police and help would have been on the way. The police would have the OPs identity and photo in hand before arrival, and would have been well prepared to violate the rest of his rights. :uhoh:

Huh?

I don't think you have read the details of the relevant thread correctly, Decoligny. You seem to be just making things up. Try to use the read/comprehend/post progression. It works better.

romma

imported post

I still say this type of confrontation is progress forward. People are not running and hiding for dear life behind stacks of bath towels at the mere presence of a gun.

And they have the ability to discern that you are not a threating individual that is unapproachable to a request like the one made.Even if we don't agree with the request.

ESCH

imported post

Does the same person ask a police officer to cover his gun when he enters the store? So people don't get scared at the sight of a gun?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

romma wrote:
I still say this type of confrontation is progress forward. People are not running and hiding for dear life behind stacks of bath towels at the mere presence of a gun.

And they have the ability to discern that you are not a threating individual that is unapproachable to a request like the one made.Even if we don't agree with the request.

I agree. OP handled it well...and to the credit of OCers/OCers. He created a little bit of goodwill for us, I think.

Others mighthave handled it more stridently, I suppose.

ESCH wrote:
Does the same person ask a police officer to cover his gun when he enters the store? So people don't get scared at the sight of a gun?
I doubt the same person would. But the cop with a gun is wayyyyy normal in our society.

I have no doubt that some people in our population are not afraid of a CWAG but are afraid of a MWAG. And that would be reasonable for many, I think.

It would be reasonable, too, for us to expect and accept that.

ESCH

imported post

HankT wrote:
romma wrote:

I agree. OP handled it well...and to the credit of OCers/OCers. He created a little bit of goodwill for us, I think.

Others mighthave handled it more stridently, I suppose.

ESCH wrote:
I doubt the same person would. But the cop with a gun is wayyyyy normal in our society.

I have no doubt that some people in our population are not afraid of a CWAG but are afraid of a MWAG. And that would be reasonable for many, I think.

It would be reasonable, too, for us to expect and accept that.
I have to disagree with the last part of your statement. It might be reasonable to expect that but "accept?" The whole point of educating the uninformed is to not "accept" that. I believe in "teachable moments." I believe that is the whole point of this discussion. The goal is to teach the uninformed about citizens rights and get them to re-examine their prejudices. From his story, it seems like he handled it well. It appears from his own story that he talked to this woman for a while. I like that. It seemed from the story she was receptive to hearing him if she talked to him for a few minutes. Bravo. Great encounter with somewhat positive results.

The problem without the teachable moment is that if I were to go into the same store today. I would encounter the same situation. I would be asked by the woman to conceal or worse to leave. She would see this as becoming a problem. Next the store would have a sign out front asking you to leave your rights at home. Then the store next door would also.

My previous post might have come off as arguementative. It wasn't intended to be. It was more or less to get someone who might not"feel" the same as we do (we know others come on here and read our posts)to take a minute and think about if there is a difference or not. That is all.

Does it make sense that a sane person (woman in story) would want to be trapped in a store with "crazies" like she mentioned without a way to protect oneself? Typical case of knee jerk emotional reacting rather than thoughtful reasoning. That is the type of teachable moment discussions which need to happen when an uninformed member of our society seems to be receptive to communication.On the face, no harm done. I am happy she didn't ask him to leave. That can be seen as a positive.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I mean "accept" as in accepting the state of nature.

Not "accept" as permanently accepting that state of nature.

If we "accept" it as what reality is today, we are miuch better able to discern how to change it to meet our goals and objectives.

The OP "accepted" the current state of nature. With aplomb. That was far superior to the haggling and argumentativeness that others have, or would have, done in the same situation.

OP helps, in other words, the diffusion of the innovation. A guy by the name of Everett Rogers wrote a lot about this....important stuff to those who would change societies...