Thread: York County Sheriff

Post imported post

I had a chance to spend a couple hours this evening with our Sheriff, "Danny" Diggs. He is an eloquent speaker and a very personable fellow. He is also a strong supporter of 2A and specifically OCing. He attended the recent Tea Party in Yorktown and the big rally in DC on 12 SEP. I saw him talking to VCDL President Phillip Van Cleave at the Yorktown Tea Party, so I assume they're already acquainted.

He runs a very "tight ship" in my opinion. I'm confident any problems that arise in York County will be dealth with quickly and fairly. He mentioned the Manassas Incident while we were talking. He definitely keeps up with current events and is very interested in maintaining good relations with the public. He is an elected official and remains very conscious of that fact.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Okay no more debate, I'm living in York County. The drive to LAFB will be worth it. Now for plan B to find some land in the west...

Post imported post

I'll tell you what MSC, give that ol' boy a big slurpy kiss for me and I'll be sure to return the favor next time I see you :^). We gun people gotta stand together.....

Post imported post

He's definitely a "gun guy". I know he's a politician, but I get the distinct feeling that he REALLY does care, unlike someone that holds high federal office (the highest, even)...

I think he reads OCDO, too.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Milbars wrote:
    Okay no more debate, I'm living in York County. The drive to LAFB will be worth it. Now for plan B to find some land in the west...
    Definitely worth the drive. My spousal unit worked at the LAFB Comissary for a while and she works near the Coliseum now.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I had a chance to spend a couple hours this evening with our Sheriff, "Danny" Diggs. He is an eloquent speaker and a very personable fellow. He is also a strong supporter of 2A and specifically OCing.
    I've heard that his colleague, the Newport News Sheriff, Gabe Morgan, is of the opposite opinion. :X
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Centurion

Post imported post

I did indeed speak with the Sheriff at the Yorktown Tea Party. He approached me (and as he was coming over, I thought, "Oh, crap, NOW what did I do?" :what:), and introduced himself. Nice guy, very professional, and definitely knows his stuff on guns. Has a good grasp on liberty, too.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

I haven't met the Sheriff but have met a number of his Deputies. That's generally a good indication of which way the wind blows.

I used to kayak there every weekend. ALL the conversations I've had with Deputies, are best described as.... DARN NICE.

Post imported post

I've lived in York Co. for almost 25 years, and have had nothing but good encounters with the deputies here. I've met Danny at the Lafayette Gun Club on a couple of occasions, and as others have said, he seems to be a strong supporter of the second amendment (for real). I hadn't specifically heard about his take on OC before reading this post, but it doesn't surprise me, since plenty of his deputies have seen me around, and none have done anything except nod politely.

Post imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
    I've lived in York Co. for almost 25 years, and have had nothing but good encounters with the deputies here. I've met Danny at the Lafayette Gun Club on a couple of occasions, and as others have said, he seems to be a strong supporter of the second amendment (for real). I hadn't specifically heard about his take on OC before reading this post, but it doesn't surprise me, since plenty of his deputies have seen me around, and none have done anything except nod politely.
    Hmmm... maybe that was him that I saw at the Lafayette Gun Club swap meet recently.

Post imported post

Milbars wrote:
    Look at southern York County. I'm about 4 miles from LAFB. There are a number of subdivisions to choose from.

As far as Danny Diggs, I met him at my daughters school. He gave me a pen. :-) Does anyone know his feelings on Class III guns? Someday I plan to get one and from what I hear the local sheriff has to approve it.

Post imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
    Milbars wrote:
    Look at southern York County. I'm about 4 miles from LAFB. There are a number of subdivisions to choose from.

As far as Danny Diggs, I met him at my daughters school. He gave me a pen. :-) Does anyone know his feelings on Class III guns? Someday I plan to get one and from what I hear the local sheriff has to approve it.
    Send him an e-mail and ask him yourself. You could also call him. He's in the phone book, too. Very accessable gentleman. I can't imagine he would have a problem with a Class 3 license, though. When I see him again, I'll ask him myself. We live in the same town; less than a mile from me.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

This is why the sheriff is an elected office...so law enforcement doesn't lose touch with the people, or morph into the standing armies that our founders abhored.

Well, localities found a nice little way around that problem in the early 20th century....police departments, which are responsible to the government rather than the people. :X
    So now it's themvs. "civilians" (sic ).

Post imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
    This is why the sheriff is an elected office...so law enforcement doesn't lose touch with the people, or morph into the standing armies that our founders abhored.

Well, localities found a nice little way around that problem in the early 20th century....police departments, which are responsible to the government rather than the people. :X
    Now now, don't go sounding off like Smoking357! LEO's can be our friend too.

Post imported post

Virginian683 wrote:

Sheriff Diggs is well aware that the people are his boss. When asked who his boss was in the chain of command, he answered very simply: "The People of York County". He doesn't answer to anyone else! Not the Board of Supervisors... No one BUT the PEOPLE.

(unknown 'gun~writer')

Post imported post

Virginian683 wrote:

I have to agree with you there. When Sheriff's Depts. got swamped with work when populations expanded, instead of just hiring more deputies they delegated part of their duties off to another agency created just for that purpose. Funny thing is though Sheriff deputies still retain the powers and duties that your typical police officer has, ie, they can ticket you for traffic violations, etc. as I've seen 'em do it myself in Fairfax Co.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Virginian683 wrote:

I have to agree with you there. When Sheriff's Depts. got swamped with work when populations expanded, instead of just hiring more deputies they delegated part of their duties off to another agency created just for that purpose. Funny thing is though Sheriff deputies still retain the powers and duties that your typical police officer has, ie, they can ticket you for traffic violations, etc. as I've seen 'em do it myself in Fairfax Co.
    One of the reasons I do NOT miss living in NoVa. Sure, there was a lot of stuff to do, and the female to male ratio was 3:1 (with the ugly girls killed at birth), but I do not miss the fast pace of everything up there. It was fun whenI was a kid in high school (went to Robinson from 80-83), and watched GMU grow a lot. I went to visit up there this past summer and everyone is always in a hurry to get wherever they're going. People actually got pissed off at me for doing the speed limit. I could hardly wait to get back to York County where we stop at an intersection to let someone cross the street.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    ........and the female to male ratio was 3:1 (with the ugly girls killed at birth),
    coffee spit across the keyboard.......

warn a fella next time, will ya!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Sorry Brother. Need a new keyboard? I have a few of them around here since we switched to laptops and a wireless network.
    (unknown 'gun~writer')