• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

York County Sheriff

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I had a chance to spend a couple hours this evening with our Sheriff, "Danny" Diggs. He is an eloquent speaker and a very personable fellow. He is also a strong supporter of 2A and specifically OCing. He attended the recent Tea Party in Yorktown and the big rally in DC on 12 SEP. I saw him talking to VCDL President Phillip Van Cleave at the Yorktown Tea Party, so I assume they're already acquainted.

He runs a very "tight ship" in my opinion. I'm confident any problems that arise in York County will be dealth with quickly and fairly. He mentioned the Manassas Incident while we were talking. He definitely keeps up with current events and is very interested in maintaining good relations with the public. He is an elected official and remains very conscious of that fact.

Milbars

imported post

Okay no more debate, I'm living in York County. The drive to LAFB will be worth it. Now for plan B to find some land in the west...

Neplusultra

imported post

I'll tell you what MSC, give that ol' boy a big slurpy kiss for me and I'll be sure to return the favor next time I see you :^). We gun people gotta stand together.....

MSC 45ACP

imported post

He's definitely a "gun guy". I know he's a politician, but I get the distinct feeling that he REALLY does care, unlike someone that holds high federal office (the highest, even)...

I think he reads OCDO, too. :idea:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Milbars wrote:
Okay no more debate, I'm living in York County. The drive to LAFB will be worth it. Now for plan B to find some land in the west...
Definitely worth the drive. My spousal unit worked at the LAFB Comissary for a while and she works near the Coliseum now.

2a4all

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I had a chance to spend a couple hours this evening with our Sheriff, "Danny" Diggs. He is an eloquent speaker and a very personable fellow. He is also a strong supporter of 2A and specifically OCing.
I've heard that his colleague, the Newport News Sheriff, Gabe Morgan, is of the opposite opinion. :X

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I did indeed speak with the Sheriff at the Yorktown Tea Party. He approached me (and as he was coming over, I thought, "Oh, crap, NOW what did I do?" :what::lol:), and introduced himself. Nice guy, very professional, and definitely knows his stuff on guns. Has a good grasp on liberty, too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I haven't met the Sheriff but have met a number of his Deputies. That's generally a good indication of which way the wind blows.

I used to kayak there every weekend. ALL the conversations I've had with Deputies, are best described as.... DARN NICE.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've lived in York Co. for almost 25 years, and have had nothing but good encounters with the deputies here. I've met Danny at the Lafayette Gun Club on a couple of occasions, and as others have said, he seems to be a strong supporter of the second amendment (for real). I hadn't specifically heard about his take on OC before reading this post, but it doesn't surprise me, since plenty of his deputies have seen me around, and none have done anything except nod politely.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I've lived in York Co. for almost 25 years, and have had nothing but good encounters with the deputies here. I've met Danny at the Lafayette Gun Club on a couple of occasions, and as others have said, he seems to be a strong supporter of the second amendment (for real). I hadn't specifically heard about his take on OC before reading this post, but it doesn't surprise me, since plenty of his deputies have seen me around, and none have done anything except nod politely.
Hmmm... maybe that was him that I saw at the Lafayette Gun Club swap meet recently.

45acpForMe

imported post

Milbars wrote:
Look at southern York County. I'm about 4 miles from LAFB. There are a number of subdivisions to choose from.

As far as Danny Diggs, I met him at my daughters school. He gave me a pen. :) Does anyone know his feelings on Class III guns? Someday I plan to get one and from what I hear the local sheriff has to approve it.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Milbars wrote:
Look at southern York County. I'm about 4 miles from LAFB. There are a number of subdivisions to choose from.

As far as Danny Diggs, I met him at my daughters school. He gave me a pen. :) Does anyone know his feelings on Class III guns? Someday I plan to get one and from what I hear the local sheriff has to approve it.
Send him an e-mail and ask him yourself. You could also call him. He's in the phone book, too. Very accessable gentleman. I can't imagine he would have a problem with a Class 3 license, though. When I see him again, I'll ask him myself. We live in the same town; less than a mile from me.

Virginian683

imported post

This is why the sheriff is an elected office...so law enforcement doesn't lose touch with the people, or morph into the standing armies that our founders abhored.

Well, localities found a nice little way around that problem in the early 20th century....police departments, which are responsible to the government rather than the people. :X
So now it's them vs. "civilians" (sic :cuss:).

45acpForMe

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
This is why the sheriff is an elected office...so law enforcement doesn't lose touch with the people, or morph into the standing armies that our founders abhored.

Well, localities found a nice little way around that problem in the early 20th century....police departments, which are responsible to the government rather than the people. :X
Now now, don't go sounding off like Smoking357! LEO's can be our friend too.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:

Sheriff Diggs is well aware that the people are his boss. When asked who his boss was in the chain of command, he answered very simply: "The People of York County". He doesn't answer to anyone else! Not the Board of Supervisors... No one BUT the PEOPLE.

nova

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:

I have to agree with you there. When Sheriff's Depts. got swamped with work when populations expanded, instead of just hiring more deputies they delegated part of their duties off to another agency created just for that purpose. Funny thing is though Sheriff deputies still retain the powers and duties that your typical police officer has, ie, they can ticket you for traffic violations, etc. as I've seen 'em do it myself in Fairfax Co.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

nova wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

I have to agree with you there. When Sheriff's Depts. got swamped with work when populations expanded, instead of just hiring more deputies they delegated part of their duties off to another agency created just for that purpose. Funny thing is though Sheriff deputies still retain the powers and duties that your typical police officer has, ie, they can ticket you for traffic violations, etc. as I've seen 'em do it myself in Fairfax Co.
One of the reasons I do NOT miss living in NoVa. Sure, there was a lot of stuff to do, and the female to male ratio was 3:1 (with the ugly girls killed at birth), but I do not miss the fast pace of everything up there. It was fun whenI was a kid in high school (went to Robinson from 80-83), and watched GMU grow a lot. I went to visit up there this past summer and everyone is always in a hurry to get wherever they're going. People actually got pissed off at me for doing the speed limit. I could hardly wait to get back to York County where we stop at an intersection to let someone cross the street.:idea: