Thread: Voice Recorders

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

Costco has these on sale now for $38. They work pretty well, only lacks a strap or clip.

Post imported post

isnt costco on the DNP list????

Post imported post

steble01 wrote:
    Now that's funny right there...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

steble01 wrote:
    Heck, I OC in Costco ALL the time. I've only ever gotten a rash at the one in Tacoma just off I5. Even then they didn't kick me out, just asked me next time to cover it. The folks in the Gig Harbor and S. Seattle Costco never have batted an eye.

Post imported post

What would you use the voice recorder for?

Post imported post

For recording your conversations with the police when they stop to "talk" to you. It's your word against theirs if they decide to violate your rights. They can't argue with a recording if it goes to court...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
    For recording your conversations with the police when they stop to "talk" to you. It's your word against theirs if they decide to violate your rights. They can't argue with a recording if it goes to court...
    I was under the impression that audio recording was illegal without notifying the person being recorded. If you tell the officer that you are recording him and he demands that you turn it off, then what do you do?

Or is there something I'm missing? I know they record you while you're pulled over, so is it ok to record them back? What about video camcorders and things like that?

Any laws that back up our rights?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
    SpyderTattoo wrote:
    I was under the impression that audio recording was illegal without notifying the person being recorded. If you tell the officer that you are recording him and he demands that you turn it off, then what do you do?

Or is there something I'm missing? I know they record you while you're pulled over, so is it ok to record them back? What about video camcorders and things like that?

Quite contrary....I am about to go to bed so don't have the cites but if you search the forum in this state it has been discussed quite a few times and there is no need to inform the officer you are recording. In Washington you can record public officials in their duties.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Daath 474 wrote:
    SpyderTattoo wrote:

Quite contrary....I am about to go to bed so don't have the cites but if you search the forum in this state it has been discussed quite a few times and there is no need to inform the officer you are recording. In Washington you can record public officials in their duties.
    That is so awesome!!!! That just made my day! I'll definitely be getting one then!

:celebrate

Banned

Post imported post

Post imported post

To my knowledge the only state that really has a "no record" set of laws is Maryland... which is why ACORN is suing those two people who posed as a pimp and prostitute.

But no, in Washington State it's perfectly legal to record a conversation with a public official. And, if you're going to be carrying a gun on your hip, I'd encourage it.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
    This is the reason that I carry a recorder.. but in all reality.. if you get detained/arrested, How hard would it be for the police to search you, take the recorder, and have it magicly play static when you get it back, if you get it back. Sure you can SAY this is what happened.. but you are back to he said/she said.

I know in NH they have a hotline setup that goes directly to a voicemail. Travelling in pairs is also a good plan, then you have a witness and can use their digital recorder or video for that matter.

Post imported post

Vievu Recorder
    # Enhanced image quality
    # 4 hr recording time
    # 4 hr battery life
    # 4 GB internal memory
    # VGA 640x480 video
    # 30 frames per second
    # Color video & audio
    # Waterproof (IPX5)
    # Compatible: MAC OSX, Windows 2000, XP, Vista

http://www.vievu.com/products-vievu/

Post imported post

Not bad for $900. There still might be an issue of the police seizing this when they detain/arrest you and making it go blank, or just go away.

**edit: it would appear that the video file can only be deleted by the software that would be on your computer.

Campaign Veteran Lurkus Maximus's Avatar

Post imported post

The new iPod nano records video. 8Gb model records 8hrs for $150.00

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/featur...eo-camera.html

-----------------------------
    "Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect." Lazarus Long

Post imported post

A few months back there was a thread on a very nice hidden recorder that was less than 40 bucks. Video and Audio. I posted what it was once and they yelled at me saying I was just letting any police on the forum know what it was... So I guess you have to thread search...

Post imported post

After getting the recorder, how do you edit the length of the recordings? Mine records in mp3.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

For .mp3 editing, I would suggest you try a program called Audacity. It is quite simple to use and best of all, is free. You can get it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The only downside to this program is that once it is installed, you must also download the .mp3 support here:

http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/

I've been using this for a couple years now and it has been stable, virus free and hasn't cost me a cent.
    "Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem" Ronald Reagan 20 January 1981

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Banned

Post imported post

nero hasaudio editing software

Post imported post

cbackous wrote:
    Not bad for $900. There still might be an issue of the police seizing this when they detain/arrest you and making it go blank, or just go away.

**edit: it would appear that the video file can only be deleted by the software that would be on your computer.
    $400 dollars for the personal vievu. all you do is slide the cover down and it will start to record. No way to delete video without plugging into a computer, and even then you could most likely recover what ever was deleted as the data will still be there.

And they are based out of Seattle.

Post imported post

Just make sure to loudly proclaim that you're recording everything if you're being handcuffed. The cops can't change THEIR recorder on their dashboard. It's not the greatest, but it's helpful evidence if they seize your recorder. If you have time show it to the dash cam.... then you have some proof.