• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorders

sirpuma

imported post

steble01 wrote:
isnt costco on the DNP list????;)
Heck, I OC in Costco ALL the time. I've only ever gotten a rash at the one in Tacoma just off I5. Even then they didn't kick me out, just asked me next time to cover it. The folks in the Gig Harbor and S. Seattle Costco never have batted an eye.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

For recording your conversations with the police when they stop to "talk" to you. It's your word against theirs if they decide to violate your rights. They can't argue with a recording if it goes to court...

Daath 474

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
For recording your conversations with the police when they stop to "talk" to you. It's your word against theirs if they decide to violate your rights. They can't argue with a recording if it goes to court...
I was under the impression that audio recording was illegal without notifying the person being recorded. If you tell the officer that you are recording him and he demands that you turn it off, then what do you do?

Or is there something I'm missing? I know they record you while you're pulled over, so is it ok to record them back? What about video camcorders and things like that?

Any laws that back up our rights?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
I was under the impression that audio recording was illegal without notifying the person being recorded. If you tell the officer that you are recording him and he demands that you turn it off, then what do you do?

Or is there something I'm missing? I know they record you while you're pulled over, so is it ok to record them back? What about video camcorders and things like that?

Quite contrary....I am about to go to bed so don't have the cites but if you search the forum in this state it has been discussed quite a few times and there is no need to inform the officer you are recording. In Washington you can record public officials in their duties.

Daath 474

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Daath 474 wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

Quite contrary....I am about to go to bed so don't have the cites but if you search the forum in this state it has been discussed quite a few times and there is no need to inform the officer you are recording. In Washington you can record public officials in their duties.
That is so awesome!!!! That just made my day! I'll definitely be getting one then!

:celebrate

killchain

imported post

To my knowledge the only state that really has a "no record" set of laws is Maryland... which is why ACORN is suing those two people who posed as a pimp and prostitute.

But no, in Washington State it's perfectly legal to record a conversation with a public official. And, if you're going to be carrying a gun on your hip, I'd encourage it.

usaf0906

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:

This is the reason that I carry a recorder.. but in all reality.. if you get detained/arrested, How hard would it be for the police to search you, take the recorder, and have it magicly play static when you get it back, if you get it back. Sure you can SAY this is what happened.. but you are back to he said/she said.

I know in NH they have a hotline setup that goes directly to a voicemail. Travelling in pairs is also a good plan, then you have a witness and can use their digital recorder or video for that matter.

swatspyder

imported post

Vievu Recorder
# Enhanced image quality
# 4 hr recording time
# 4 hr battery life
# 4 GB internal memory
# VGA 640x480 video
# 30 frames per second
# Color video & audio
# Waterproof (IPX5)
# Compatible: MAC OSX, Windows 2000, XP, Vista
PVR-PRO2-camera.jpg

http://www.vievu.com/products-vievu/

usaf0906

imported post

Not bad for $900. There still might be an issue of the police seizing this when they detain/arrest you and making it go blank, or just go away.

**edit: it would appear that the video file can only be deleted by the software that would be on your computer.

David.Car

imported post

A few months back there was a thread on a very nice hidden recorder that was less than 40 bucks. Video and Audio. I posted what it was once and they yelled at me saying I was just letting any police on the forum know what it was... So I guess you have to thread search...

Stryker

imported post

For .mp3 editing, I would suggest you try a program called Audacity. It is quite simple to use and best of all, is free. You can get it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The only downside to this program is that once it is installed, you must also download the .mp3 support here:

http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/

I've been using this for a couple years now and it has been stable, virus free and hasn't cost me a cent.

swatspyder

imported post

cbackous wrote:
Not bad for $900. There still might be an issue of the police seizing this when they detain/arrest you and making it go blank, or just go away.

**edit: it would appear that the video file can only be deleted by the software that would be on your computer.
$400 dollars for the personal vievu. all you do is slide the cover down and it will start to record. No way to delete video without plugging into a computer, and even then you could most likely recover what ever was deleted as the data will still be there.

And they are based out of Seattle.