• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Because everyone who owns a gun needs to be turned in....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

iPhone-Batch-1-0091.jpg

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This billboard is up on Hawthorne Rd, heading into Gainesville, just inside city limits.

Should I call up and report myself? I have dozens of guns, and none of them are 'registered' and I don't have any 'permits.' :quirky

This is @#$%ing incredible.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
What does the fine print at the bottom of the sign say?

TFred
Not sure, I'll get a closer look at it tomorrow. I snapped that with my iPhone as I was driving by on my motorcycle... No, I was not talking on it while eating a hotdog and juggling as well.....

;-)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm curious, how can an anonymous tip result in a specific named person getting $1,000?

Much less that this bitch is suggesting that she will pay people to 'report' anyone who has a gun and then go on a witch hunt.

It isn't a crime to own guns here. There is no registration, and no permits. Is this sheriff bitch really such a bubble-head? Or, as usual, has an ulterior motive?

I'm going to go down there tomorrow and stir up some shi, I mean, ask some questions...

With the imperialist attitude they have here, I'm expecting to be asked a bunch of stupid questions myself.

"Sir, do you have any guns?"
"Why hes, more than I can count!"
"Are they registered to you?"
"Nope, not a one."
"Do you have permits for them?"
"Nope, no permits."

I absolutely KNOW that conversation will happen. I just HAVE to see what comes next.

Especially the part where I say:

"Hey, I'm the one asking the questions here." "How do you give $1,000 to someone who is anonymous?" "Why are you offering money to people to 'report' to you about something that is not a crime?" "How will harassing, intimidating, provoking, and insulting gun owners reduce crime?" "How is alienating that group, probably your greatest ally in fighting crime, ever going to help you or the public?" "What methods do you use to follow-up on these reports of non-crime?" "Why are you doing something that cannot possibly have the results you claim it is intended to have?" "What are your true motives?"

I'll be sure to have the voice recorder going.... Am I in Keene? ;-)

KBCraig

imported post

ixtow wrote:
I'm curious, how can an anonymous tip result in a specific named person getting $1,000?
There are "Crime Stoppers" and "Tip Lines" all over the country. They promise awards for anonymous tips, usually upon conviction.

When informants call in, they are given a unique ID number and password for that particular case. When the conditions are met (usually a conviction for specific charges), they can show up and present that number and password and receive prepaid debit cards without showing any ID.

Of course, given the nature of most informants, and the fact that it can take months or years for a conviction, many (if not most) of these "rewards" are never claimed.

wrightme

imported post

ixtow wrote:
TFred wrote:
What does the fine print at the bottom of the sign say?

TFred
Not sure, I'll get a closer look at it tomorrow. I snapped that with my iPhone as I was driving by on my motorcycle... No, I was not talking on it while eating a hotdog and juggling as well.....

;-)
Well, as near as I can make out in the photo....

This project was supported by Grant No. 2000-xx-xx-xxxx awarded by the Bureau of Justice Assistance. The Bureau of Justice Assistance xxxxxx is a component of the office of Justice Programs which also includes the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, and the Office for Victims of Crime. Points of view or opinions in this xxxxxxxx are those of the author and do not represent the political position or policies of the United States Department of Justice.

It seems to make it sound like it is USDOJ, but it's not....

But, those official sounding names are part of the USDOJ, and are found at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ "Office of Justice Programs"

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Alas it takes to long to recover your gun from the cops to make it worthwhile.:cool:
It's even worse to get a conviction on those rights violators. :lol:
Maybe Danbus should ask for his 'reward'.

Highlander

imported post

Its just a program that citizens can call in if they have information about a crime which a weapon was used.....almost like Crimestoppers.

Damn, some of you guys need to change your manpons...Do a little research before you go stir up shi, I mean, make a fool of yourself.

rebel-patriot

imported post

ixtow and everyone else,

this doesnt suprise me one bit. Over the weekend I was doing some research and came across a site called The Florida League of Cities... and their agenda is part and parcel with Mayors against Illegal Guns.. which is a BS front organization for anti's.

See these threads:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/31731.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum17/31733.html

This is exactly WHY Florida NEEDS a strong grassroots Pro 2A organization focused on state and local rights.

ixtow, I know you and I disagree on whether or not Florida can be turned around. But I am telling you , this is no different than a bully in a schoolyard. You punch them in the nose hard and they will turn and tuck tail quick. The proverbial punch in the nose will be the currency these people understand, which is VOTES. You want to see the Mayors organization crumble quick. Start getting registered voters showing up in force telling them this is BS... It CAN happen , It WILL happen.

Get on board or clear the path my friend.

Rebel
American by birth, Southern by choice

rebel-patriot

imported post

Highlander wrote:
Its just a program that citizens can call in if they have information about a crime which a weapon was used.....almost like Crimestoppers.

Damn, some of you guys need to change your manpons...Do a little research before you go stir up shi, I mean, make a fool of yourself.
Highlander,

On the surface what you have said appears to be quite true. However if you delve just a little deeper into the two threads I posted in the previous reply, you will find that this program is nothing more than a single tool that is being used with an overall intent of pushing a complete anti agenda. Start in 2006 with their framework document, move over and look at the Mayors against illeg guns website and you will find that they have taken that framework almost part and parcel and used it in their programs... Move over to the Florida League of Cities and you will see that they are pushing those agendas quite effectively behind the scenes in Florida to diminish all citizens rights hoping all the while no one will care or be looking.

Respectfully

Rebel

TFred

imported post

No matter the intent, an honest person cannot deny the plain reading of the billboard:

"Gun Bounty Program"

"Arrest + Gun Recovery + Weapons Charge"

No mention of any crimes or criminals. This certainly implies that if you have a gun,
you and your gun are the subject of this program. My guess is the sponsors of such a
program would prefer you report all guns, and let them sort out which ones are
illegal... It may be interesting for someone to call and record (from a one party
consent state!) to see what their procedure is for discerning the validity of a report.

There are several of these programs in place.

Here is a document from a few years back which evaluates a similar sounding
program in Pittsburgh. Very interesting, especially the end, which is a section on the
legal implications of the program.

It is very unlikely that a juvenile would use their Constitutional rights, refuse to
be searched, and ask police officers to produce a search warrant. It is to be
noted that evidence produced without a search warrant is not admissible in a
court of law. However, police agents use different tactics to approach a juvenile
who is a suspect of possessing or carrying a gun. These situations and tactics can
include:

The suspect appears to be running away and a crime has just been reported in the area.
The suspect is hanging around with some people who are under police investigation.
The suspect is near where a crime has just been reported.
The suspect is somewhere where the officer thinks people have no reason to be
at that time of day or night and his presence.
The person acts is suspicious, and acts even more suspiciously when the officer
sees that you have spotted him.
The officer thinks that the suspect may have stolen property in his possession.
The officer legally stops the suspect on the street or while driving in his car and
refuses to answer simple questions, gives false or evasive answers or makes
contradicting statements.
Someone has reported the suspect as a possible suspect involved in a crime.
The suspect hangs around places and people who are using or selling drugs .
The suspects uses obscene language, acts disorderly, or drunk and or high in a public place.

This may lead to the commission of other misdemeanors that would allow police
officers to claim that they have found a suspect committing a fragrant [sic] crime.
Such a crime does not require a warrant and would produce evidence that would
be admissible in court.
TFred

ETFix formatting

D94R

imported post

No matter the intent, an honest person cannot deny the plain reading of the billboard:

"Gun Bounty Program"

You are completely right the plain reading is clear. I believe it to be in good intent and context like Highlander believes. NO WHERE on that sign however does it say anything about non "registered" guns or without "license". None of that plain reading implicates either of those. A point that the OP is taking as a misconception as to the underlying intent of this sign.

Yes it could be more clear, but that would take a lot of wording on a billboard that passer by's only get a chance to see/read for a few seconds.

It takes a little intelligent interpretation from both sides. Besides, they are looking for an arrest, recovery, and charge. None of which will be had or obtained with a LAC.

If the worry here is about getting harassed from a bad phone call, well it doesn't take a sign to make an idiot call about a Man With A Gun.

Flyer22

imported post

TFred wrote:

"Gun Bounty Program"

No mention of any crimes or criminals. This certainly implies that if you have a gun, you and your gun are the subject of this program. My guess is the sponsors of such a program would prefer you report all guns, and let them sort out which ones are illegal... It may be interesting for someone to call and record (from a one party consent state!) to see what their procedure is for discerning the validity of a report.
I'm sorry, but the way I read it, it most certainly does mention criminals, albeit only by implication. "Gun recovery" means tomy mind, recovering STOLEN guns. This program sounds a great deal like programs that tack on extra sentences if the criminal was found carrying a gun.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This sign, and the stated purpose of the "bounty program" make a very strong implication that the mere act of owning a gun is a crime.

I'm testing how it is handled. Do they come a knockin' after I answer their questions and ask mine? The sign sure implies that they will.

A plain reading of the sign tells the reader that if they call that number and tell whoever answers that their neighbor owns a gun, they might make a cool $1,000. A asked about 20 people who were walking near the sign, without suggesting this, and it was unanimous. So the 'what do you think it means" argument is moot.

Should I just trust that Big Brother is in-line, or make sure? If they ask questions about licenses or registration, its a witch hunt. If they attempt to verify something criminal was done, not merely possess, then I'm just being an zealous watcher of the watchers, no harm done. Knowing the attitude the fuzz have here, it could go either way.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rebel-patriot wrote:
ixtow and everyone else,

this doesnt suprise me one bit. Over the weekend I was doing some research and came across a site called The Florida League of Cities... and their agenda is part and parcel with Mayors against Illegal Guns.. which is a BS front organization for anti's.

See these threads:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/31731.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum17/31733.html

This is exactly WHY Florida NEEDS a strong grassroots Pro 2A organization focused on state and local rights.

ixtow, I know you and I disagree on whether or not Florida can be turned around. But I am telling you , this is no different than a bully in a schoolyard. You punch them in the nose hard and they will turn and tuck tail quick. The proverbial punch in the nose will be the currency these people understand, which is VOTES. You want to see the Mayors organization crumble quick. Start getting registered voters showing up in force telling them this is BS... It CAN happen , It WILL happen.

Get on board or clear the path my friend.

Rebel

i certainly wouldn't obstruct you in your efforts. Print out every word I've posted on the subject, and I will literallly ear my words if/when Florida turns yellow.

"punch them in the nose" in Florida and you'll just be a missing person. I had the pioneering attitude you have several years ago. I was followed, my home broken into, death threats by phone and in person, was run off the road by squad cars, pulled out of the car window by my head and beaten in the middle of the road with no explanation, the list goes on...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
"Gun Bounty Program"

No mention of any crimes or criminals.  This certainly implies that if you have a gun,
you and your gun are the subject of this program.  My guess is the sponsors of such a
program would prefer you report all guns, and let them sort out which ones are
illegal...  It may be interesting for someone to call and record (from a one party
consent state!) to see what their procedure is for discerning the validity of a report.

This is exactly the meaning that every passer by read, as well as myself. And it is my intent to determine what the process for qualifying a "tip" is.

KBCraig, thanks for the education, didn't know that.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I apologize for all the replies, but I was working from my iPhone, which is a little difficult.

I called the SO's "Communication Office" to ask questions about their process. The phone was answered by a male who did not identify himself and refused to...

But it turned out to be not so bad. I asked several questions, and as it turns out, excatly the scenario I was most concerned with had been played out. The unidentified man was quite forthcoming with details of incidents where Flaming Liberals of this town had attempted to use the SO as a tool for harassment. Apparently, it isn't just gun-related. Apparently, Flaming Liberals of this town try to send the SO to people they disagree with in a wide range if circumstances, including filing false reports for just about any crime they can pretend to have anonymously witnessed. Sometimes with liberal sympathizer LEOs who were more than willing to push the envelope against gun owners. As a result, they have developed a policy of asking up-front, what crime the caller believes has been committed, instead of just taking names and locations and dispatching without concern as they had in the past (I am curious how long the SO operated under that premise and when these changes were made...). He was unable or unwilling to provide any data regarding complaints or cases on the matter, but did say that it had been a problem for the SO at one time, but was not anymore. It wasn't specifically said, but I inferred that, the SO had been in a bit of trouble for crossing lines on behalf of the Flaming Left persons who gave them bogus tips.

The unidentified man also stated that there are protocols in place specifically to weed out politically motivated reports specifically because they are such a big problem here. He said that he has personally hung up on people reporting 'unregistered guns' as the 'crime' they believe is being committed. (I presume he has worked on the tip line).

Now, if the tip line actually handles it this way, I'm not sure. I don't want to submit a false 'tip' for several reasons. It would be interesting to see what happens, but feel that would be like calling up 911 and pretending I was having trouble breathing just to see how fast they get here... Not exactly the kind of thing a decent guy would do.

Seems the Liberals were their own enemy in trying to use the SO for harassment of people that don't agree with their agenda. I gathered that the SO did at one time, use any excuse they could to kick in a door or interrogate in a JBT fashion, but that they put their hand on that burner one too many times already and don't do it anymore. Essentially, what I would have done to them, but they've already learned their lesson.

I inquired as to the consequences faced by those who attempted to file, or did file false reports. He declined to provide any legal citations on the matter, but said that they rarely attempt to prosecute false reporters, they just ignore them.

I suppose I could do my own research on the matters the unidentified person declined or was unable to answer to, but as the matter appears to already be handled, I don't think I will.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Did he explain how the complaintee got the serial number to check it's
registration, or how they ran the number to see it wasn't registered.

b&e or roofies...... are the only way I can see to get mine without my knowledge.

Seems to me any complaint about an unregistered gun is an open admission
to having committed a crime, or a false report (also a crime).
Involving armed police in the scam, and you have met the criteria once
you get the 'anonymous' caller convicted and your gun back.

Must be a lot of fishing and camping around there for everyone to see the guns.:shock: