• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May someone carry someone elses pistol?

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay

OC = 18+

CC = 21+

Here is the first question. Can my 18-21yo girlfriend openly carry one of my firearms? Keep in mind she is not yet 21 so no CPL. If she may, than do I have to be within ear/eye shot?

Next main topic/question. If I am with another oc'r and we get into a vehicle are they covered by my CPL? Obviously I have my CPL and the other oc'r does not. I do not see why this would be a problem seeing as how I would be in the vehicle and a pistol would be "concealed" with the same people in the vehicle.

Thanks for ya'lls time and response's.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Okay

OC = 18+

CC = 21+

Here is the first question. Can my 18-21yo girlfriend openly carry one of my firearms? Keep in mind she is not yet 21 so no CPL. If she may, than do I have to be within ear/eye shot?

Next main topic/question. If I am with another oc'r and we get into a vehicle are they covered by my CPL? Obviously I have my CPL and the other oc'r does not. I do not see why this would be a problem seeing as how I would be in the vehicle and a pistol would be "concealed" with the same people in the vehicle.

Thanks for ya'lls time and response's.

Q1) No, she can only OC if the pistol was registered in her name or, if she had a CPL (she does not in this case). Have the pistol registered to her name or both of you.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(xqcr0omxcjiwta55ocgkdfa2))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-432

Q2) The other OC'r without a CPL can not be in possession (on his/her person or accessible to) of the pistol while inside the passenger compartment of a vehicle. In this case, just carry the pistol for the person until you reach your destination where he/she may legally OC the pistol.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(l1hoom55fqihqx45rgrsqh45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227

Also See:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(esbpbt55ne0jki45a0np3e45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-231a

Souk

imported post

To your first question, No.
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.432[/font] An individual can carry, possess, use or transport a pistol belonging to another individual, if the pistol is properly licensed and inspected under the Act, and the individual carrying, possessing, using or transporting the pistol has obtained a license to carry a pistol concealed permit from Michigan.[/font][/size][/font]

And your second question, No as well.
Your CPL covers you and only you.

Edit: SpringerXDacp beat me to it :p

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

I believe that the answer to the second question is yes, as long as you (CPLer)are in the vehicle. If you exit the vehicle, then if there are no other CPL holders in the vehicle, the other person(s) may not remain in said vehicle with the firearm because they would be in control of the firearm. IANAL just my opinion.springerdave.

autosurgeon

imported post

The only place she may be in possession of your pistol is at the range for the purposes of practice and only if you are right there with her.

Once she has her CPL then she may borrow a firearm.