• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another reason cops shouldn't be the only guys with guns...

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Detroit cop shoots wife, himself in Canton
Woman, also a cop, dead; husband in critical condition

Shots rang out in the parking lot of the Canton Public Library this morning as an off-duty Detroit Police homicide investigator shot and killed his wife, also a DPD officer, and then shot himself, according to investigators.

Ed Williams, 36, is on life support pending organ donation, Canton Police spokesman Mark Gajeski said at noon.

His wife, Patricia, 33, was declared dead upon arrival at Oakwood Annapolis Hospital in Wayne just after the 9:16 a.m. shooting, he said.

Canton Township Police officers had responded to the couple's home for a domestic complaint over the weekend, Gajeski said. And today, a male friend of Patricia's called Canton Police at about 8:30 a.m., reporting there had been another incident. He said Patricia was on her way to the police department, Gajeski said.

She never made it.

“He called her and he got her to come over to the library and talk to her,” Gajeski said, looking at the couple's cars still in the parking lot of the Canton Center Drive library parking lot, the revolver used still lying on the ground. “She went to talk to him and that’s when the shooting started.”

Detroit Police spokesman John Roach said Patricia Williams, with the department since November 1995, was a patrol officer at DPD's Northwest District on disability with a hand injury. She had recently been reassigned to the department's Northeast District on restricted duty.

Ed Williams started with the force in 1994.

DPD Police chaplains were on their way to the scene and DPD's Homicide Unit to counsel officers, he said.

"It's a definite tragedy first and foremost for the family of these two officers, but it is also felt here at the Detroit Police Department as well. Folks here are kind of numb."

Story is here,in the Free Press

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Also as an afterthought...

For those of you OCing in this already hostile area, this may have LEOs 'on edge' even moreso than usual... so be very careful about what you do and say.

Bronson

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Ed Williams, 36, is on life support pending organ donation
No. There are other peoplewaiting for organswho haven't killed their wife and failed at taking their own life. He shouldn't even be a candidate.

Bronson

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

That's what I gathered too... although if it is the other way around then I would agree with you that he shouldn't be a candidate...

My guess is, though, that not too many people would be willing to donate a brain.

Bronson

imported post

To be honest I didn't read the article. I was too disgusted at the thought of keeping this guy alive to give him an organ. After reading it you guys are probably correct.

Bronson

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

hence my prior warning to be extra paranoid that you are following the law to the letter. I think it will actually enhance, rather than hinder, the effectiveness of the Canton Chili Picnic.