• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Fond du Lac

stewarthgusmc

imported post

I recently moved to WI after retiring from the Marines. It was only after I was here didI realize that I couldn't carry concealed. After a little research I found out I could Open Carry, great, armed and a visible deterrent. I have been visiting OCDO for several months now tryingto get an understanding of the OC landscape in WI. It seems to me that there is adisdain forlocal LEO's in general and a downright hatred for some specifically (Milwaukee, West Allis, etc). Most of thisI understand and even agree with, but my experience in Fond du Lac has been rather non-confrontational. Toget an idea of the local authorities response to law-abiding citizens exercising the rights I had spent 21yrs defending, I contacted the FDL County Sheriff and the FDL Police. Both of the responses were positive, Sheriff Strank actually called me within about 30 minutes of my email, and we had aproductive conversation about OC, after which I feel confident the LEO's (at least in FDL) have been properly briefed on AG Van Hollen's advisory memo.

I have talked to several business with similar responses. I even had the opportunity to educate the store manager atthe FDL Menard's aboutOC. He was receptive and didn't see it as a problem.

Any comments or places to stay away from in FDL would be appreciated.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I know you CAN oc in festival foods. The management only asked that until their employees and customers get used to the idea that you check in at the desk before shopping so the can inform their staff by radio that management already knows about you.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

stewarthgusmc wrote:
Any comments or places to stay away from in FDL would be appreciated.

First, WELCOME! Glad to have yet another OC participant!

For the most part there are five(5) places we cannot carry (cars,bars,government buildings, state parks, 1000ft of school property UNLESS on private property).

WalMart, BestBuy, Gander Mountain, Festival Foods,should all good.

Some have reported issues at Pick n' Save, Marcus Theater(s), and malls, so those might be ones to avoid.

I personally have carried in Culvers, McDonalds, BurgerKing, Hardees, DairyQueen, Subway, Menards, and Fleet Farm, but all in other parts of the state.

YEP, I know a lot of fast food...

Anyway, W E L C O M E ! ! ! and

CARRY ON!

Woodchuck

imported post

First off,

Thank You for your service to the great country.

Secondly, welcome to the site, hope you stay awhile.

Good to hear about your experiences so far in FDL.

Carry On and Stay Safe

bnhcomputing wrote:

I personally have carried in Culvers, McDonalds, BurgerKing, Hardees, DairyQueen,

GEEZ.....You eat more fast food in a week than I do in 3 months, I look like you should....WTF:banghead:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

stewarthgusmc wrote:
Is this Festival Foods in general or the one in FDL specifically?
General.

I believe the FF that asked to have someone "check in" was in Green Bay. I have carried in all three FF stores in La Crosse County, never checked in or anything, never an issue, so I'm basing that on my experience.

I will have occasion to be in FDL on Friday, October 9 and would be more than happy to meet up with you or any others, maybe a dinner outing. PM me if interested.

Carry On!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

stewarthgusmc wrote:
Is this Festival Foods in general or the one in FDL specifically?
That Festival Foods was the one in Fond du lac.

I think it is a reasonable request as they are trying to get their staff used to both seeing a customer who is carrying and helping the staff to better address the issue if a customer would complain.

stewarthgusmc

imported post

JGleason-Thanks.

I am in that FF often...also, anytime a store manager or owner ask that they be inform not only is it a golden opportunity to educate, it also helps to remove the stereotype that people that choose to defend themselves and excersizetheir rights are not all crazed gun-nuts as the liberals would have peoplebelieve.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight; nothing he cares
about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no
chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men
than himself".(John Stewart Mill)

thelongone13

imported post

If I may, I would like to suggest a Google Maps search of schools to get an idea of where you can NOT carry. If you did not know of the school you MAY be able to get out of it, but I doubt it. I'm sure there will be an anti waiting to make you an example, so be careful of those school zones.

stewarthgusmc

imported post

thelongone13 wrote:
If I may, I would like to suggest a Google Maps search of schools to get an idea of where you can NOT carry. If you did not know of the school you MAY be able to get out of it, but I doubt it. I'm sure there will be an anti waiting to make you an example, so be careful of those school zones.

Thanks, never thought of that.

I have a pretty good idea of the area and most of my carry is limited to major businesses until until we can get the restrictions for auto and school zones changed.

I guess i should have been a little more specific, I have been inWI since June'04."Recently Moved" probably wasn't the most accurate term.