• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Range near Richmond

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Quick question: are there any ranges besides Dominion that are within 30 minutes of Richmond? Public or private, I'm just wondering because I'm not a fan of having to either pay 18 bucks a box for 9mm, or drive all the way to Smoking Gun down in Colonial Heights.

PS: sorry if this is a repost or my question has already been answered in another thread. Couldn't seem to find an answer anywhere.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

thanks, though I was counting on somewhere closer than Ft. Lee. Any suggestions? Plus, registering and carting your POW to and from the range in the govt approved manner is a pain in the butt. But thanks for the info.

67GT390FB

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
ahhh good good. i will check them out. thanks
Cavalier is awesome(hands down the nicest overall facility in the richmond area)but i think you'll find that you can buy a whole lot of 18.00 9mm for the price of membership depending on how much you shoot, cavalier is located about 15 minutes west from exit 167 on I-64. Blackcreek is going to be your best budget minded option. They don't take new members until Dec or Jan though, the cost is around 100.00 per year must be an NRA member. Blackcreek is located northeast off the 31 exit of I295 on range road.

essayons

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
SoldierMedic wrote:
ahhh good good. i will check them out. thanks
Cavalier is awesome(hands down the nicest overall facility in the richmond area)but i think you'll find that you can buy a whole lot of 18.00 9mm for the price of membership depending on how much you shoot, cavalier is located about 15 minutes west from exit 167 on I-64. Blackcreek is going to be your best budget minded option. They don't take new members until Dec or Jan though, the cost is around 100.00 per year must be an NRA member. Blackcreek is located northeast off the 31 exit of I295 on range road.
That is true, but I primary shoot rifle... so Cavalier with its new 600yd range is well worth it IMO.

spitfyr

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
Quick question: are there any ranges besides Dominion that are within 30 minutes of Richmond? Public or private, I'm just wondering because I'm not a fan of having to either pay 18 bucks a box for 9mm, or drive all the way to Smoking Gun down in Colonial Heights.
Sadly what you save on bringing your own ammo to Smoking Gun you lose for the fact that the shooters fee there is $20 instead of $8 at Dominion.

Fort Lee is the cheapest & best of the three by far. And the same distance from Richmond as Smoking Gun. But it is rarely open - and has been closed the last two times I went (most recently this past Sunday). I like Smoking Gun second best because it is brighter/cleaner than Dominion and the people are super nice. Dominion is like a cave, that place has always creeped me out. $100 worth of paint and light bulbs would go a long way. But they have a lot of stuff for rent which is fun.

PS- "registering and carting your POW to and from the range in the govt approved manner is a pain in the butt" - ? All I was told was that you couldnt have one in the pipe once you turned onto base property. This was explained when I cleared my CC piece for the safety check at registration. They said nothing about the full mag that also came out ;)

Lie2me

imported post

+1 on the Fort Lee range. I've beenthere consistently for the past several months and always have a good time there. Norman, one of the staff, is a very nice guy who's willing to give helpful adviceor just shoot the bull when they're not busy. $5 an hour for an outdoor range is worth the 30minute drive down 295 for me. But, I may be looking at black creek here soon. Never been there though.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Interesting... I will have to give Ft. Lee a look then... At Ft. Campbell, and Ft. Drum, they treated POWs like you were carrying nuclear waste: unloaded, chamber open, locked case, in the trunk, no full mags, ammo separately cased from firearms, only allowed to go directly to and from the range. But if Lee is different, that might be my best bet, even with the random hours of operation. DIdn't know Smoking Gun was 20 bucks to shoot... that is INSANE!

spitfyr

imported post

Ft Lee is different, the POW range isn't on the base proper, it is on adjacent property. No gate or security check to get in, just drive through and park and walk up to the registration shelter. Smoking Gun is 10 if you buy their ammo, 20 if you bring your own. Sounds like you havent been there either ;)