• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in Stratford Town Hall

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

KenBGlock19 wrote:
Lenny Benedetto wrote:
I produced new copies of the documents that I carry in my wallet (Thanks Jay) and explained where they came from.
Where can I get a copy of these documents? Thanks!

Ken

Right here!!

Question #1

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1838&Q=418126&PM=1

And Here

Last paragraph of this memo from the commissioner of DPS

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/To%20Judge%20in%20Declaratory%20Case/159.Dananher%20on%20Ambiguity.pdf

LKB3rd

imported post

You can have them call Chief John DeCarlo in Branford. I had a meeting with him, and he told me that it is "clearly legal" and my right. He told me he had spoken to State's Attorney Mike Dearington in New Haven, so I assume he had agreed that it was legal (which we all know it is).
He told me that an arrest for "Breach of the Peace" was not out of the question if anyone complained, which I found to be odd, considering it was my right, and legal. I read up on the breach of the peace statute, and nothing in it applies to legally open carrying with a permit from my reading of it...
anyway

Rich B

imported post

LKB3rd wrote:
I haven't been.  I did it one day without any problems. 
As an update since this thread has been bumped anyway, I carry openly in Branford regularly. I have had no problems yet, although I have not had any LEO encounters there either yet.

dcmdon

imported post

Back when I got my permit, Branford was a pretty pro gun PD. I got my local permit through Branford.

After the 8 weeks or whatever it was that they had to get fingerprint data, Detective Duncan Ayr called me. He was the guy handling pistol permits.

He told me that time was up and he was giving me the permit without the FBI stuff coming back yet. He reminded me that I went to school with his daughter and he made a few phone calls to the North Branford HS and had found out I was no trouble.

When I went to pick it up, I thanked him for not jerking me around. I'll never forget what he said "Look, the criminals don't even apply for pistol permits, its not the guys with the permits I worry about. Be safe".

Don

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Rich B wrote:
dcmdon wrote:
"Look, the criminals don't even apply for pistol permits, its not the guys with the permits I worry about. Be safe".

Which is exactly why the permit process is so useless and unnecessary.
I disagree with our permit process being useless.

Oh so many years ago when I decided to get my permit, I had zero formal training in handgun use and safety.
Since the CT permit process requires the NRA training first, I did at least learn basic safety.
If I were to live in a state that did not require a permit to carry, the need or even desire to take any kind of training/safety course would probably have not happened and I would have been walking around with a gun without the benefit of the basics in handling and safety.

Now this is just my opinion and you may disagree if you want.
Let me also say that forced training is the only benefit I see with the permit process.

Rich B

imported post

Lenny Benedetto wrote:
Rich B wrote:
dcmdon wrote:
"Look, the criminals don't even apply for pistol permits, its not the guys with the permits I worry about. Be safe".

Which is exactly why the permit process is so useless and unnecessary.
I disagree with our permit process being useless.

Oh so many years ago when I decided to get my permit, I had zero formal training in handgun use and safety.
Since the CT permit process requires the NRA training first, I did at least learn basic safety.
If I were to live in a state that did not require a permit to carry, the need or even desire to take any kind of training/safety course would probably have not happened and I would have been walking around with a gun without the benefit of the basics in handling and safety.

Now this is just my opinion and you may disagree if you want.
Let me also say that forced training is the only benefit I see with the permit process.

I am glad it worked for you, but I have seen plenty of people go through the same training and permit process that I would never be comfortable carrying around. So the permit process accomplishes nothing in my mind. Training is good, training is great, but just like our driver's license program, leaving it as a state mandate accomplishes nothing.

Good, smart people who want to be safe will seek out training and will be responsible members of society. People who are not smart and don't care about being safe will just do what they already do.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I agree with you Rich, but for different reasons.

The RIGHT to carry is just that, a right. Rights like this should not come with restrictions (other than for those who have forfeited them through overt acts against the public).

I don't *like* the idea of people just being able to buy a pistol and carry it around with them because of what Lenny brings up. But what I like doesn't enter into the equation the same as people not liking when you OC shouldn't.

That being said, a sane and prudent course for any man or woman who wishes to carry a loaded firearm on their person in public *should* avail themselves of all the training they want/need in order to feel comfort at arms with their respective firearms.

I guess it's part of being an adult, or at least what Dirty Harry said "A man's gotta know his limitations" I knew prior to carrying that there was a whole LOT I didn't know and I went out and took a few classes to learn some good habits and strategy and more importantly highlight and stop any bad ones. That's me though, might not work for someone else and I have no RIGHT to stomp on your RIGHTS to carry.

I'd like to see non-permitted open carry in CT, it's in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and you don't see mass murders up there committed by open carriers.

just my 2cents.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
a sane and prudent course for any man or woman who wishes to carry a loaded firearm on their person in public *should* avail themselves of all the training they want/need in order to feel comfort at arms with their respective firearms.
I agree.
Unfortunately most people that live in states that do not require any prior training will probably NOT get trained at all. This is just my opinion and I have no actual data to back up this claim, but I do know human nature.

I have had this discussion on many occasions and will always feel that most will not seek any kind of training, especially if it will cost them money. Most will spend their cash on guns, ammo and holsters. The dollars for the formal training will never materialize.

Believe me I understand the constitutional right point of view and I back it 100% or I would not be a founding member of CCDL.

My only point is, analogy time:
I would not want to be driving my car knowing that just because someone that is 16 they can automatically drive with out any formal training or passing some kind of minimal test. I feel that the same holds true for carrying a gun.

Now truly I am not trying to debate the issue here (Been there done that).

I just really think that for myself and many others, the training needed to obtain a carry permit was a great and needed starting point for a life carrying a gun.

Rich B

imported post

Lenny Benedetto wrote:
I would not want to be driving my car knowing that just because someone that is 16 they can automatically drive with out any formal training or passing some kind of minimal test.

Respectfully, I must point out the quality of drivers this churns out. When I look around at the drivers around me (especially when it snows), I am not seeing the cream of the crop and I don't get any warm, fuzzy feelings about the fact that our state potentially gave them licenses to drive. I don't believe the driving test or any of the other restrictions that are necessary really keep any of the worst drivers off the road.

Just like with the carry of firearms, people who don't want to undergo the training or are not capable can just drive or carry (illegally) without the license or permit (and they do).