• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Concealed Reciprocity ?

Bay Bob

imported post

I just read WA law RCW 9.41.073 that says

[align=right][/align]
[/b](1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section. "

Virginia meets all of the above stated requirements, and recognizes Washington permits. Yet the WA Attorney General does not see fit to list Virginia as a "reciprocal" state.

Does anybody have any idea why ?

Coming to Seattle for several weeks over the next 6 months and sure would like to have concealed carry rights - - - especially in the car.

Thanks

BB

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Virginia does not fingerprint on a statewide basis. All nonresident applicants but only applicants in certain localities (on a local option basis) are fingerprinted--and then only for criminal background check purposes.

Bay Bob

imported post

O.K. , that makes sense, I was not aware thatVirginia did not fingerprint 100% of the applicants.

It just frosts me that even though I was fingerprinted, (twice including the military) and I have enough I.D., clearance, trainingand demonstrated history to choke a mule - - - I'll still have to wait 60 days before I can get a permit - - -

or just Carry openly - - -

Thanks for setting me straight !

BB

j2l3

imported post

Bay Bob wrote:
O.K. , that makes sense, I was not aware thatVirginia did not fingerprint 100% of the applicants.

It just frosts me that even though I was fingerprinted, (twice including the military) and I have enough I.D., clearance, trainingand demonstrated history to choke a mule - - - I'll still have to wait 60 days before I can get a permit - - -

BB
Not necessarily, go to Silverdale while you are here. It's a ferry ride and a short drive from dowtown Seattle. Stop by the Sheriff's Office and apply for your CPL. They have been known to issue before you leave the building.

Once you are here, let us know and some of us will get together with you.

heresolong

imported post

Bay Bob wrote:

BB
Can't you still get a non-resident permit the day you arrive and apply for your resident as soon as you qualify under the 60 day rule?

Bay Bob

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Bay Bob wrote:

BB
Not necessarily, go to Silverdale while you are here. It's a ferry ride and a short drive from dowtown Seattle. Stop by the Sheriff's Office and apply for your CPL. They have been known to issue before you leave the building.

Once you are here, let us know and some of us will get together with you.

Thanks a ton ! I figured that if you went to the right location the process might be expedited.

I recall many years ago in Spokane being issued a permit on the spot with an active duty I.D. but that was a different time - - -

By the way, I plan to steal your avatar :):):)

Thanks

BB USAF (Ret)

j2l3

imported post

Bay Bob wrote:
Thanks a ton ! I figured that if you went to the right location the process might be expedited.

I recall many years ago in Spokane being issued a permit on the spot with an active duty I.D. but that was a different time - - -

By the way, I plan to steal your avatar :):):)

Thanks

BB USAF (Ret)

Enjoy! When I was stationed in Spokane back in the late 70's you could walk in, get your permit, walk out and put your gun in your pocket and go grab a beer.... times have certainly changed.

USAF (Ret) as well...

David.Car

imported post

Spokane took me 29 of the 30 days. Got mine last July. I have had issues with the Spokane courthouse before though. They denied my finger prints 3 times when trying to get my Unarmed Security License 3-4 years ago.