• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Further Cleansing of the Gene Pool

hp-hobo

imported post

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/dpgo_man_teaching_gun_safety_shoots_himself_head_lwf_092209_3645535

(MYFOX NATIONAL) - A Missouri man who was teaching his girlfriend about firearm safety on Friday pointed a gun at his head to prove a point and accidentally shot himself dead.

The Jefferson County Sheriff said that James Looney, 40, of Imperial, Mo., was teaching his girlfriend about the different safety mechanisms on guns by putting guns to his head and asking her if they would go off. The first two guns did not go off, but the third gun actually fired.

Looney was transported to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead the next morning.

According to witnesses, Looney was going to take his girlfriend to the shooting range the next day, but insisted on firearm safety the day prior.

People accidentally shooting themselves in the head isn't uncommon. Earlier this month, a Tennessee man suffered a non life-threatening injury after he accidentally shot himself in the head. Last month, a Florida man was handling an unfamiliar gun when it went off and shot him in the head .

usaf0906

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Must have been a Glock. We all know how easy they go off on their own. :quirky
That hurts. I'm going to OC my glock to Walmart and get some Aloe.

miked

imported post

A tragic event and I feel sorry for the girlfriend and associated families.

That said. Stories like this really piss me off. There are many many many ways to test the safety of a gun without pointing at ones head and pulling the trigger. I was always taught to treat every gun as if it was loaded and to never point it at anything that I did not intend to shoot. It's people like this that do irresponsible things and continually give responsible gun owners a bad name and fuel the anti-gun movements. :banghead:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
a Florida man was handling an unfamiliar gun when it went off and shot him in the head .
Somehow I seriously doubt that this is an accurate statement. Surely he said or did something to provoke such a violent act on the part of the gun.:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark
How unfamiliar does a gun have to be for someone not to know where the MUZZLE and TRIGGER are?:?

suntzu

imported post

that is a mistake usually only get to make once... He should not have been allowed near a gun, let alone handling one.

always treat a gun like it is loaded...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Obviously, the GF needs to find a better handgun safety instructor. Or maybe, he was showing herhowNOT to handle a handgun. I doubt she will ever forget that portion of the training.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Obviously, the GF needs to find a better handgun safety instructor. Or maybe, he was showing herhowNOT to handle a handgun. I doubt she will ever forget that portion of the training.
I doubt this woman will ever allow another person near her with a firearm.