Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry Virginia State Fairgrounds Doswell, Virginia

Post imported post

Fairgrounds linkhttp://www.statefair.com/home

Post edited as ProShooter brought it to my attention that under guest services in the link it states;

All Guests Subject to Search
    For the safety of all individuals, everyone entering the event is subject to search. Metal detectors may be used. Weapons, contraband and alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Anyone refusing search cannot be admitted.

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Are the fairgrounds owned by the State, now, or just leased for the events?

Post imported post

Icetera wrote:
    more importantly were only private funds used or were public monies used anywhere in this project?

Post imported post

Icetera wrote:
    SFVA is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization not affiliated with state government. In a world where Virginia's open land and traditions that shaped our culture are rapidly vanishing, SFVA's goal is to keep cherished ideals and experiences alive in the Commonwealth.

This is what I have found and copied. I believe the SFVA owns the land . I would have to do a tax parcel search to confirm, in which I may try later when I have more time.

Post imported post

However the Fair did receive money from the state for disaster sheltering. There was a article last week in the RTD.
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...215004/292878/

Post imported post

Post imported post

I suspect it's just something they haven't thought of... yet.

TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

You guys are not searching hard enough....

For the safety of all individuals, everyone entering the event is subject to search. Metal detectors may be used. Weapons, contraband and alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Anyone refusing search cannot be admitted.

Its under Guest Services
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
    That was my reasoning for posting as some time things are missed. I could be wrong but when my wife, and I had searched the site yesterday I had seen everything that is there now with the exception of the above. Good Catch, but a true disappointment.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

kennys wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
    That was my reasoning for posting as some time things are missed. I could be wrong but when my wife, and I had searched the site yesterday I had seen everything that is there now with the exception of the above. Good Catch, but a true disappointment.
    I looked at their site several days ago and it was there.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I looked at their site several days ago and it was there.
    I stand corrected, I must have missed it than. Some where I did read the same information on that page. Like I said, glad I posted. Now we are all informed..

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
    Guest Services, huh?

Hmmmph! That doesn't sound like very good service!

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
    Guest Services, huh?

Hmmmph! That doesn't sound like very good service!

+1

Post imported post

I ain't wanna waste the money/time at the fair anyway. :P

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    I like the agg part, but ain't been in years and won't miss it that much any ways. As far as the carnies that run the rides, I have my own reason for not trusting them. Unless armed I don't really want to be in the same place with them. Buy the way I am assuming they are carnies, I have never been to a Va fair, but familiar with some other States.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

kennys wrote:
    curtiswr wrote:
    I like the agg part, but ain't been in years and won't miss it that much any ways. As far as the carnies that run the rides, I have my own reason for not trusting them. Unless armed I don't really want to be in the same place with them. Buy the way I am assuming they are carnies, I have never been to a Va fair, but familiar with some other States.
    Yep, Carnies and I have no idea what it will be like in Doswell. Henrico had cops crawling all over the place. Hanover may too.

Post imported post

I guess we wil soon find out.

Post imported post

The new site is actually in Caroline County. I suspect the Fair will be using State Troopers in place of the Henrico officers, but that is just a guess because I can't imagine Caroline having enough deputies to go around.

Time will tell.

Post imported post

kenny wrote:
    The new site is actually in Caroline County. I suspect the Fair will be using State Troopers in place of the Henrico officers, but that is just a guess because I can't imagine Caroline having enough deputies to go around.

Time will tell.
    From my understanding that is what they will be doing. I am under the assumption that Hanover as well may help out in part as it boarders.

Post imported post

I sure would like to know if the State Fair of Virginia is employing off duty state troopers, or if the state is supplying on duty officers for a courtesy?

After being pointed to the no guns policy, as I usually do, I wrote a letter to the Virginia State Fair. In response I get back "The only ones allowed to carry weaponsare the state policeand ABC officers". As well in another email they tell me that "They take every possible step to insure every ones safety and security and cover all areas". They even mentioned that "Their ride operator is reputable that does drug testing " and also try to say that "all the workers as well go through a background check". Maybe things have changed, but I have never known any fair pushing the issue of back ground checks on all workers. As well it makes me wonder to what degree of felonies do they deny someone to work there?

All the above states to me, there is always the potential for criminal acts as we already know, not just there, but every where. Even they seem to think so or they would not go to the lengths they say they do. But is that enough?Are they doing it correctly? I don't trust any one but me. If something were to happen it would be a little to late to answerboth those questions.

Today on my way home from work, I counted about 15 State Troopers just lined up from 95 to the RR tracks on Rt 30. Traffic no worse than normal, as a matter of fact it was the same thing as last night. Kings Dominion don't even need that many Hanover cops when they have special events. And they usually only use them for closing to guide traffic. I am not going to the fair, but I am however curious on what the presence is like there. I tend to think if they were not so gun owner un-friendly and pro criminal it would cost them and the State less not to have to have all that protection.

Post imported post

That's what I loved about the "Field Day of the Past", not a cop in sight.

Didn't need them from whatI saw.

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    That's what I loved about the "Field Day of the Past", not a cop in sight.

Didn't need them from whatI saw.

That says alot in itself. I bet you didn't see any no gun signs either.

Post imported post

Not sure which jurisdiction is providing security for the fair, but there was a brief radio bit on WCVE (local public radio station) regarding the fair. In the piece they began talking about security and played a sound-byte of one person attending the fair who stated something to the effect of, "sure you feel safe... there were lots of police around."

Post imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
    Not sure which jurisdiction is providing security for the fair, but there was a brief radio bit on WCVE (local public radio station) regarding the fair. In the piece they began talking about security and played a sound-byte of one person attending the fair who stated something to the effect of, "sure you feel safe... there were lots of police around."
    From what I was told, the majority is State Police.

Post imported post

For years the VSP have provided traffic control at the old Fairgrounds. At the old Fairgrounds the Fair paid for off duty Henrico officers. VSP Troopers do work extra duty assignments such as construction work zones and other duties.

It should be obvious that Caroline County does not have the staff for the State Fair. At the old fairgrounds off duty staffing ran from 10-15 during the day and more at night, which are in addition to the Troopers that were assigned traffic control.

It appears OC is not allowed. I have never seen the use of metal detectors in use during the day time. So as Archie use to say to Edith, "dummy up".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast