• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Virginia State Fairgrounds Doswell, Virginia

kennys

imported post

Fairgrounds linkhttp://www.statefair.com/home

Post edited as ProShooter brought it to my attention that under guest services in the link it states;

All Guests Subject to Search
For the safety of all individuals, everyone entering the event is subject to search. Metal detectors may be used. Weapons, contraband and alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Anyone refusing search cannot be admitted.

kennys

imported post

Icetera wrote:
Are the fairgrounds owned by the State, now, or just leased for the events?

SFVA is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization not affiliated with state government. In a world where Virginia's open land and traditions that shaped our culture are rapidly vanishing, SFVA's goal is to keep cherished ideals and experiences alive in the Commonwealth.

This is what I have found and copied. I believe the SFVA owns the land . I would have to do a tax parcel search to confirm, in which I may try later when I have more time.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

You guys are not searching hard enough....

For the safety of all individuals, everyone entering the event is subject to search. Metal detectors may be used. Weapons, contraband and alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Anyone refusing search cannot be admitted.

Its under Guest Services

kennys

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
That was my reasoning for posting as some time things are missed. I could be wrong but when my wife, and I had searched the site yesterday I had seen everything that is there now with the exception of the above. Good Catch, but a true disappointment.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

kennys wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
That was my reasoning for posting as some time things are missed. I could be wrong but when my wife, and I had searched the site yesterday I had seen everything that is there now with the exception of the above. Good Catch, but a true disappointment.
I looked at their site several days ago and it was there.

kennys

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

I looked at their site several days ago and it was there.

I stand corrected, I must have missed it than. Some where I did read the same information on that page. Like I said, glad I posted. Now we are all informed..

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
Guest Services, huh?

Hmmmph! That doesn't sound like very good service!

kennys

imported post

DrMark wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Its under Guest Services
Guest Services, huh?

Hmmmph! That doesn't sound like very good service!
+1

kennys

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
I ain't wanna waste the money/time at the fair anyway. :p
I like the agg part, but ain't been in years and won't miss it that much any ways. As far as the carnies that run the rides, I have my own reason for not trusting them. Unless armed I don't really want to be in the same place with them. Buy the way I am assuming they are carnies, I have never been to a Va fair, but familiar with some other States.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kennys wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
I ain't wanna waste the money/time at the fair anyway. :p
I like the agg part, but ain't been in years and won't miss it that much any ways. As far as the carnies that run the rides, I have my own reason for not trusting them. Unless armed I don't really want to be in the same place with them. Buy the way I am assuming they are carnies, I have never been to a Va fair, but familiar with some other States.
Yep, Carnies and I have no idea what it will be like in Doswell. Henrico had cops crawling all over the place. Hanover may too.

kenny

imported post

The new site is actually in Caroline County. I suspect the Fair will be using State Troopers in place of the Henrico officers, but that is just a guess because I can't imagine Caroline having enough deputies to go around.

Time will tell.

kennys

imported post

kenny wrote:
The new site is actually in Caroline County. I suspect the Fair will be using State Troopers in place of the Henrico officers, but that is just a guess because I can't imagine Caroline having enough deputies to go around.

Time will tell.
From my understanding that is what they will be doing. I am under the assumption that Hanover as well may help out in part as it boarders.

kennys

imported post

I sure would like to know if the State Fair of Virginia is employing off duty state troopers, or if the state is supplying on duty officers for a courtesy?

After being pointed to the no guns policy, as I usually do, I wrote a letter to the Virginia State Fair. In response I get back "The only ones allowed to carry weaponsare the state policeand ABC officers". As well in another email they tell me that "They take every possible step to insure every ones safety and security and cover all areas". They even mentioned that "Their ride operator is reputable that does drug testing " and also try to say that "all the workers as well go through a background check". Maybe things have changed, but I have never known any fair pushing the issue of back ground checks on all workers. As well it makes me wonder to what degree of felonies do they deny someone to work there?

All the above states to me, there is always the potential for criminal acts as we already know, not just there, but every where. Even they seem to think so or they would not go to the lengths they say they do. But is that enough?Are they doing it correctly? I don't trust any one but me. If something were to happen it would be a little to late to answerboth those questions.

Today on my way home from work, I counted about 15 State Troopers just lined up from 95 to the RR tracks on Rt 30. Traffic no worse than normal, as a matter of fact it was the same thing as last night. Kings Dominion don't even need that many Hanover cops when they have special events. And they usually only use them for closing to guide traffic. I am not going to the fair, but I am however curious on what the presence is like there. I tend to think if they were not so gun owner un-friendly and pro criminal it would cost them and the State less not to have to have all that protection.