• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Virginia State Fairgrounds Doswell, Virginia

kennys

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
That's what I loved about the "Field Day of the Past", not a cop in sight.

Didn't need them from whatI saw.
That says alot in itself. I bet you didn't see any no gun signs either.

VA Lawyer

imported post

Not sure which jurisdiction is providing security for the fair, but there was a brief radio bit on WCVE (local public radio station) regarding the fair. In the piece they began talking about security and played a sound-byte of one person attending the fair who stated something to the effect of, "sure you feel safe... there were lots of police around."

kennys

imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
Not sure which jurisdiction is providing security for the fair, but there was a brief radio bit on WCVE (local public radio station) regarding the fair. In the piece they began talking about security and played a sound-byte of one person attending the fair who stated something to the effect of, "sure you feel safe... there were lots of police around."
From what I was told, the majority is State Police.

kenny

imported post

For years the VSP have provided traffic control at the old Fairgrounds. At the old Fairgrounds the Fair paid for off duty Henrico officers. VSP Troopers do work extra duty assignments such as construction work zones and other duties.

It should be obvious that Caroline County does not have the staff for the State Fair. At the old fairgrounds off duty staffing ran from 10-15 during the day and more at night, which are in addition to the Troopers that were assigned traffic control.

It appears OC is not allowed. I have never seen the use of metal detectors in use during the day time. So as Archie use to say to Edith, "dummy up".

kenny

imported post

Here is a story I found in the Free Lance summarizing the State Fair of Virginia.
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/112009/11272009/510686
Caroline happy as new home of State Fair

State Fair survey shows older crowd than usual attended this year's event

Date published: 11/27/2009

By PORTSIA SMITH

The State Fair of Virginia attracted an older crowd than usual at its new location this year, according a survey of attendees.

Survey results show an increase in fairgoers ages 45 and up, and a decrease in attendees ages 12 to 17.

These results came from a two-page questionnaire given at random to some of the 248,000 who attended the 11-day fair, which was held for the first time at The Meadow Event Park in Caroline County this fall.

State Fair President Curry Roberts noted a few of the unreleased survey's highlights to Caroline supervisors at their meeting this week. He did not give percentages on the age breakdown.

According to the surveys, about 14 percent said they were from the Fredericksburg or Northern Virginia areas. That's up from 6 percent from last year, when the fair was held in Henrico County. About 68 percent of those surveyed came from the Richmond area.

Of those surveyed, 15 percent were attending the fair for the first time ever. About 70 percent attended for the first time in five years, and about 11 percent attended for the first time in 10 years.

Roberts said the education level and household income of this year's fairgoers were higher than last year.

Overall, 88 percent of those surveyed said the fair met or exceeded their expectations, and more believe this year's fair was a good value for the money compared with last year.

The major concerns were problems with traffic and parking, which resulted in a 7.9 out of 10 ranking of the fair's entrance. That's down from last year, Roberts said, and will be a priority for improvement next year.

For future use of The Meadow Event Park, fairgoers said they would like to see food and music festivals--specifically country and gospel--and shows for crafts, homes, Christmas, dogs and antique cars.

All five supervisors congratulated Roberts for an event well-done and especially thanked him for generating some money for the county. According to Commissioner of Revenue Sharon Carter, Caroline collected $92,000 in taxes from the state fair and the Celtic festival that followed.

Roberts also mentioned that fair and school officials are in talks to possibly hold graduation for Caroline schools at The Meadow Event Park's Farm Bureau Center.

From the safety standpoint, Lt. Kerry Stiles of the Virginia State Police said his agency made seven arrests, which included a vendor with counterfeit merchandise, a person unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon and a DUI/hit and run.

Portsia Smith: 540/374-5419
Email: psmith@fredericksburg.com

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I wonder about the CC bust... Illegally carrying w/o a CHP or with CHP and tresspassing?

Anyone have details?
No details, but carrying an illegal concealed weapon could have been a knife in somebody's pocket - the reference didn't mention CHP.

Yata hey

kenny

imported post

I checked the Caroline County General District Court's web site for the month of October and did not find the first criminal charge regarding a firearm that originated from the new Fairgrounds. It very well could have been another type weapon.

It appears they only have court two days a week but it was a pain checking the entire docket for each day without a name.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thanks for looking, Kenny. GS is probably right. If could have even been a kid with a slingshot in his back pocket with his t-shirt covering it. :quirky

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
kenny wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
My money is on Mr. Marblethorpe in the study with a sword cane. :)

At the State Fair? It might be more like Big Bubba with a three and a half pronged pitch fork full of cow manure.

CONCEALED????

WOW!!!
Ouch them things are sharp.:lol:
<can stillremember the cow pasture in center field at the North Accomac Little League field>

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Wolf_shadow wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
kenny wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
My money is on Mr. Marblethorpe in the study with a sword cane. :)

At the State Fair? It might be more like Big Bubba with a three and a half pronged pitch fork full of cow manure.

CONCEALED????

WOW!!!
Ouch them things are sharp.:lol:
<can stillremember the cow pasture in center field at the North Accomac Little League field>
That just adds to the game. You have to go to all the base without getting tagged.....or stepping in anything.