• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Lv from cali!

DETOX420

imported post

first things first. i lurk the forum a bit and must ask a few things.
i know not to OC on the strip.
second in Nevada is there a 1000Ft school law like there is in cali?

i would like to OC and cant to do it at home. wondering if i could do it with out a carry permit for nevada or i am good to go with my cali lisc?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The school/1000 ft requirement is a federal law so it's technically in effect anywhere in the US. I haven't heard of anyone enforcing this law as it is likely unconstitutional (in fact, a very similar law was ruled by SCOTUS as just that).

No permit is necessary for OC, but be advised that some police mistakenly apply the Clark County registration requirement upon visitors. Just remember, if approached by law enforcement, REFUSE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS. A search of this forum will show a visitor from Pennsylvania had his firearm confiscated because it was not registered, even though the law clearly states the registration requirement is for residents only, or those in town greater than 60 days. The firearm was returned to him, but I imagine it was a PITA to have to deal with.

Tim

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IANAL and cannot give legal advice. I can just tell you that I personally do not consider that law as I travel and go about my business. I have no children and have nothing to do with a school, so I'm not even sure where the schools are in my neighborhood, nor do I care. A person who lives within 1000 ft of a school would be breaking that law every time they went for a walk or left in their car.

The Supreme Court ruled the original version of the law unconstitutional and congress rewrote it saying that it involved interstate commerce, but because they simply say it is constitutional does not necessarily make it so.

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

If you don't see a lot of Vegas people replying, IMHO it's cause we agree with Tim. He's really good with all this knowledge. I live near a school, and travel a road in which to get to work that takes me within 1000 ft. But I don't stop or get out or anything, it's really not a big deal if you're not going INTO the school.

Avoid the strip with OC, though not illegal, it's just like not going down the street shouting stupid things just cause you can...

No permit, no blue card needed. Tim touched on this, but its something specifically a vegas cop will ask you, and you don't need. He said refuse all questions...well he means if a cop asks for a blue card, you don't need one, and that's what happened to the PA guy. The pa guy even knew the law (though he was unsure of it), and the cop(s) did not know them, and took his property.

So avoid that. You don't live here, don't need a blue card (which is a registration card for clark county residents for guns that can be concealed). Reno, Parhump, all else don't even need them, but it's like the first question you're asked by police. If you're not driving a vehicle, you don't even need to provide police with a cali driver lisc. That goes along with the refuse all questions thing Tim said. Getting into that - it's all personal preference, which we love to debate a lot on this and a few other forums as to how cooperative to be with law enforcement - it's rather fun. I'm no lawyer, just tryin to help with only how I think I understand things.

Read up on the statutes, there's like 10 max. There's a thread with a printout or cheat sheet or some sorta card with them, i'm too tired to link i'm very sorry, but its easy to find a few threads down from this. If you read those you'll be all set. We welcome your stay and your money, and your guns here in NV =D

DETOX420

imported post

had fun in vegas and oc'd a bit. didnt have any issues. just some dude who told us we were in the city and werent allowed to have guns unless we were sheriffs .

then went on to tell us he is a card holder. thanks vegas/ nevada for a good time

CowboyKen

imported post

DETOX420 wrote:
had fun in vegas and oc'd a bit. didnt have any issues. just some dude who told us we were in the city and werent allowed to have guns unless we were sheriffs .

then went on to tell us he is a card holder. thanks vegas/ nevada for a good time

What kind of card?

Stupid card?

Ignorant card?

Glad you had a good time. Please come back again often.

Ken

bookem03

imported post

Next time tour in NV come visit Carson City we have no problems OCing here.Glad you had a good time.:celebrate:celebrateCome again soon.