• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Been over a month now.....

Jimmy.45

imported post

...since my 1st day of OCing. Just reporting in some experiences.
While bike riding with my son an older fella who was out in his yard asked "Young man, Do u have a license to carry THAT?" I replied "No Dont Need One!" I had to pass on the opportunity to discuss this with him, only because the boy was with me. Maybe I will see him out again.

Situation at a local retailer and an outside DVD movie dispenser. 9:30pm ish. A young female was using the machine and I was standing next in line. A car with 4 males had pulled up on my blindside, the drive thought it would help him have a short wait if he stated, with PROFANITIES , that he was next. I simply pointed in the direction of the machine, fully exposing my OCW which was not so exposed til i moved my arm, and said " Well u go right (bleeping) ahead" He back stepped back to his car, got in, turned the radio OFF, and left. Then I was in full defense mode, watching them leave and not return.
Now what would have been the situation if I had been CCing at that moment? Do I pucker up and let the BG have his way, or.......? In this case OCing defused a potential "situation"

Again at another local retailer, while standing inline to purchase items, several young men walked in the door. They werent being very polite, cursing and being rude to the other patrons. A lady actually approached me and said "I feel safer standing by u". The cashier asked me if I would please stick around for a few minutes. By this time the boys noticed me and left without incident.

Had 2 LEO encounters, where all they wanted was to tell my boy what a great job he was doing. He uses his hand signals while turning onto other streets and stops and looks at all Stop signs. 1 LEO noticed and "lit us up" just to tell him "good Job". I thought for sure I was getting stopped for OCing- not the case! FYI my son is 4 and a licensed.......bike rider!

Recently tried to explain to a licensed Law Enforcement INSTRUCTOR that OCing is legal in the State of Ohio. He wasnt having it, even though I was showing him proof. I finally had to tell him we will meet with his superior officer. Has yet to happen.

All in all- A different, yet exciting and educational road in my life.

zack991

imported post

I had similar innocents happen while open carrying and the pro's of OC'ing out weighs the pain in the butt moments that happen from time to time.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

FiremanJoe wrote:
HAVE ALSO HAD The Hey would you mind hanging around the store a few extra minutes, scenerio at some stores while OC'g...lol
I hope you correct their misconception next time. By OC'ing mam we
are the first ones to be shot at, you might want to step away......:lol:

I had one go so far as to offer me a 15 min charge on my battery.
I just wanted the jump, and have no doubt it was the sidearm that intimidated
her into offering the charge as well. That I scared away some local thuggish
types had nothing to do with it. I changed her tire, and had a great conversation
while she charged my battery. Auto club never showed, and we both left happy.
Cops had been by earlier, and they came back after he left she told me.

Good thing she wasn't a member, 3am, no lights, engine turned off for silent entry.
Would have blown all her warning fuses.:idea: Just a poor smuck with a brand
new faulty alternator though. Sometimes fate just throws people together.

TheMrMitch

imported post

HehHeh....had a younger lady I know request if I'd tell some south of the border "gentlemen" if I'd claim her as my daughter and demand that they leave her alone in the minit mart where she worked. In Kentucky.

I did. They haven't bothered her since. I was OCing.:celebrate

JSlack7851

imported post

...since my 1st day of OCing. Just reporting in some experiences.
While bike riding with my son an older fella who was out in his yard asked "Young man, Do u have a license to carry THAT?" I replied "No Dont Need One!" I had to pass on the opportunity to discuss this with him, only because the boy was with me. Maybe I will see him out again.

Situation at a local retailer and an outside DVD movie dispenser. 9:30pm ish. A young female was using the machine and I was standing next in line. A car with 4 males had pulled up on my blindside, the drive thought it would help him have a short wait if he stated, with PROFANITIES , that he was next. I simply pointed in the direction of the machine, fully exposing my OCW which was not so exposed til i moved my arm, and said " Well u go right (bleeping) ahead" He back stepped back to his car, got in, turned the radio OFF, and left. Then I was in full defense mode, watching them leave and not return.
Now what would have been the situation if I had been CCing at that moment? Do I pucker up and let the BG have his way, or.......? In this case OCing defused a potential "situation"

Again at another local retailer, while standing inline to purchase items, several young men walked in the door. They werent being very polite, cursing and being rude to the other patrons. A lady actually approached me and said "I feel safer standing by u". The cashier asked me if I would please stick around for a few minutes. By this time the boys noticed me and left without incident.

Had 2 LEO encounters, where all they wanted was to tell my boy what a great job he was doing. He uses his hand signals while turning onto other streets and stops and looks at all Stop signs. 1 LEO noticed and "lit us up" just to tell him "good Job". I thought for sure I was getting stopped for OCing- not the case! FYI my son is 4 and a licensed.......bike rider!

Recently tried to explain to a licensed Law Enforcement INSTRUCTOR that OCing is legal in the State of Ohio. He wasnt having it, even though I was showing him proof. I finally had to tell him we will meet with his superior officer. Has yet to happen.

All in all- A different, yet exciting and educational road in my life.

This reads like a Marvel comic magazine, sounds like a excellent place for a 'open carry' rally. Any takers? P.S.. I'm from Vermilion