• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

c'mon people

old dog

imported post

[align=left][/align]THERE,THEIR, THEY'RE ------- it ain't rocket surgery!

usaf0906

imported post

old dog wrote:
THERE,THEIR, THEY'RE ------- it ain't rocket surgery!
Usage note:
As a substitute for am not, is not, and are not in declarative sentences, ain't is more common in uneducated speech than in educated, but it occurs with some frequency in the informal speech of the educated, especially in the southern and south-central states. This is especially true of the interrogative use of ain't I? as a substitute for the formal and—to some—stilted am I not? or for aren't I?, considered by some to be ungrammatical, or for the awkward—and rare in American speech—amn't I? Some speakers avoid any of the preceding forms by substituting Isn't that so (true, the case)? Ain't occurs in humorous or set phrases: Ain't it the truth! She ain't what she used to be. It ain't funny. The word is also used for emphasis: That just ain't so! It does not appear in formal writing except for deliberate effect in such phrases or to represent speech. As a substitute for have not or has not and—occasionally in Southern speech—do not, does not, and did not, it is nonstandard except in similar humorous uses: You ain't heard nothin' yet!

usaf0906

imported post

If you had a location showingI would know if you were from the south and this was standard speech, or if you were using it for emphasis.

I'll not comment on your all caps and inconsistant spacing, I just find it kind of funny to correct people with incorrect grammar/english.

old dog

imported post

Obviously, I chose ain't for a light and humorous effect. I apologize if it was too subtle for the masses.

As a well-brought-up Southerner I was taught never to make anyone uncomfortable unnecessarily.

Please feel free to be specific about my errors. How else can I improve myself?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cbackous wrote:
I'll not comment on your all caps and inconsistant spacing, I just find it kind of funny to correct people with incorrect grammar/english.

apophasis

LOL....or cute rhetorical devices....or spelling...

old dog

imported post

Something simple and obvious is said to be "not rocket science" or "not brain surgery" meaning anyone should be able to grasp it without explanation.

"Rocket surgery" is a humorous play on the terms employed as a device of emphasis. This is understood by people who read something other than gun magazines. And before you attack me further, I read and enjoy all the popular firearms periodicals.

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

old dog wrote:
This is understood by people who read something other than gun magazines.
Wait, other than gun magazines? You mean like bullet magazines, or holster magazines? This is getting confusing now. I need to rest my brain before I get dizzy.

old dog

imported post

r6:
How elegantly you put it. You must be the envy of your peers.

Alexcabbie

imported post

There, there old bean.... The murder of the English Language by death of a thousand cuts has driven lots of folks nuts. When you see these folks at the drugstore, you may assume they're there to pick up their meds.

So they are. (so they're?)

So there. :p

Chaingun81

imported post

It's all funny, but old dog has a valid point. "Their", "there" and "they're" is one big problem here, but there are more. "Your" and "you're" is another good example. Oh yeah, and "a lot" is actually2 wordswhile"alot" is not a real word at all.

Come on folks, I'm not even a native english speaker and it's oftenpainful for me to read some posts here. It really isn't all that hard to write these simple words right. I started learning English as a second language in5th grade of regular public school in Moscow, Russia back in 1991 and I never made these mistakes. It seems to me that folks who went to school in the US and are native english speakers, should really be able to get it right.

Not trying to come across as beingarrogant or anything, and not trying to offend anyone, just making a point. I also think it hurts our(gun owners and gun rights activists)imagewhen someone unrealted to gun communtiyreads some posts on this forum -these kinds ofmistakeswill just reinforce the image created by mainstream mediathat "all gun owners are a bunch of uneducated rednecks". The bottom line is that one doesn't need to be an English lagnuage professor to be able to spell these basics right.

Alexcabbie

imported post

gutshot wrote:
All of you guys need to switch to a different board, maybe Englishgrammarandspelling.com. This is OCDC and it's for the discussion of open carry of firearms. Standard, nonstandard, grammatical, ungrammatical, idiomatic or any other kind of speech.
It's "OCD O", you idiom. :p

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

Maybe we should juststicky this thread. It will be a good place foreveryonetocome together and take out all our grammar frustrations on each other.

Weeooo Weeooo! Hear comez teh gammer puhlease!!!1111!1one11!

Alexcabbie

imported post

Perhaps more frustrating is to see the confusion of "E ffect" with "A ffect". This produces some spectacular howlers. Seeing as how "effect" means (verb) to achieve ("The rebels effected a coup d'etat") or (noun) a characteristic result ("a bullet to the brain usually has the effect of producing death"); while "affect" means (verb) to influence ("alcohol affects one's ability to shoot straight") ; the sentence "alcohol EFFECTS the ability to shoot straight" means that booze is a performance-enhancing drug; which, unless the goal is to be as stupid as possible it certainly is NOT.

Also, there are those (although I have yet to see any here) who put an apostrophe on ANY word that ends with an "s". You know: "I took my gun's to the range". Your gun's what? Your gun's slide? Left the reciever and barrel behind?

However, none of this , irksome as it is, means someone is an idiot. I know of a brilliant Microsoft engineer - a good friend - who commits "apostrophe apostasy" so often I have given up on trying to break him of the habit. And my own father, the designer of the ATM found on many Navy ships (and that was a difficult thing to achieve) , with his Master's Degree and all; to his dying day spelled "clothes" "cloths". :banghead: