• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Rights Police Conference in St. Louis to include open carry panel with OCDO's John Pierce

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

news item: http://www.news-leader.com/article/20090924/LIFE06/909240345/Gun+rights+focus+of+conference+in+St.+Louis+Friday

Conference info and registration form: http://www.saf.org/default.asp?p=GRPC

--

PRESS RELEASE: http://www.ammoland.com/2009/09/24/24th-annual-gun-rights-policy-conference-agenda

SNIP

SUNDAY, September 27, 2009—Renaissance Ballroom

. . .

10:30a.m. Open Carry and Public, High Profile Events

• Brian Anse Patrick, Assoc. Prof., University of Toledo, author, Rise of the Anti-Media: In-Forming
  • The American Concealed Weapon Carry Movement (Lexington Press, November 2009)
  • Jim Perdiew, president, Handgun Club of America
  • John Pierce, co-founder, OpenCarry.org, writer, Minneapolis Gun Rights Examiner
  • Phil Van Cleave, president, Virginia Citizens Defense League
--

NOTE: Unlike past conferences in Kentucky & North Carolina, OpenCarry.org will not host an open carry reception in a suite - unfortunately, while oen carry is legal n ousouri under state law, state preemption law only protects concealed crry from local ordiances - and in St. Louis County, where this conference is held, there is an ordiance requiring all gun carriers to get written permission of the owne of private premises to carry guns on suich premises - and as open carry is not potected by Mosouri preemtion law, then concealed carry appears to be the only practical and legal way to carry on private premises of the conference site.

Chapter 712 (THE FIREARMS CODE) of St Louis County. How weak is Missouri preemption anyway?

712.040 Specific Actions, Prohibited.—

It shall be unlawful for any person carrying a firearm to willfully enter or go upon the premises or property of another, or to fire or discharge any firearm while on the premises or property of another without first having obtained the written permission from the owner, lessee or person in charge of such premises or property, and unless such person has said written permission on his person. This section shall not apply to a person carrying, firing or discharging any firearm while in the immediate presence of the owner, lessee, or person in charge of the property or premises, or to the entry upon the premises for the sole purpose of obtaining the written permission of the owner, lessee or person in charge of the property.

The county ordinances are searchable in Municode athttp://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11512&sid=25

NightOwl

imported post

I'm glad to hear of the conference, it's great that John Pierce will be speaking out for OC.

I'm disappointed in a gun rights conference in such a constricting location though. The money that conferences send into a local economy would be better spent in a location more friendly to the cause, if you ask me.

patriotthad

imported post

Glad to hear of the event. But I have to agree, why wasn't this event held in say, Springfield where open carry is legal

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

patriotthad wrote:
Glad to hear of the event. But I have to agree, why wasn't this event held in say, Springfield where open carry is legal
I think those who selected the venue did so intentionally...

NightOwl

imported post

It occurs to me that if the agreement to rent the venue for the event were worded right, couldn't every person who attends be a "lessee"? Charge a buck at the door to everyone who enters...? Am I out in left field on this one?

usaf0906

imported post

That would be interesting for sure. I would agree that, with the right wording, you could get it in the lease that everyone could carry.

Bob Sliger

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Thundar wrote:
So how didit go?
It was a great event, I've attended about 12 Gun Right Policy Conferences around the country. This was a very well attended event, Saturday morning it was standing room only, my guess was around 1000. Speakers and attendees were from the U.S, Canada and Italy. The last time the G.R.P.C was in St. Louis was 1999

Sunday morning there were still about 50% of the folks still there and by closing time over 25% were still there. I've seen the GRPC were only a handful were still there Sunday morning. I left the event Sunday with a large bag of freebooks about our RKBA rights.

John did a great job in his time on the podium, I had hope to meet him, but I was busy most of the time myself.

The Missouri Sports Shooting Association and Missouri Carry. Com both had information booths set up. There were also separate tables from Texas Carry, The Appleseed Project and others.

If anyone in that hotel was unable to defend them self, it was a decision they made not the venue or county.

Next year 2010, last weekend in September wewill be in San Francisco for the G.R.P.C.

It will be your turn to argue your cause with the State Of California.

I want to thank the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Bear Arms (CCRKBA) for their efforts at the 24th G.R.P.C.

Bob Sliger

NRA/ILA EVC Missouri's8th Congressional District.

Missouri Carry Picnic is next Saturday in Jefferson City. http://www.missouricarry.com/

IanB

imported post

Tnx for the update Bob! Too bad about next year...I won't be attending San Fran either.