• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heckler and Koch USP .40

thefarce

imported post

The title says it all - I'm thinking about buying a .40 cal. USP for alternately OC and CC, and I'm just wondering what sort of experience anyone has carrying a USP, and I'm also trying to decide if the compact or full size would be best for my purposes.
This will be my first pistol, so I'm trying to get one that'll last, and I hear the USP is one of the most durable and long lasting weapons you'll find, but I've also heard it's somewhat overpriced...

Thoughts?

45acpForMe

imported post

I also am considering this gun but in 45. There was a full size USP at the Hampton Gun show for $828 NIB! I should have bought it. I have seen them online between $850 and $1050 but then you also have to pay shipping etc.

I have held a couple and plan to shoot a friends USP next month. The grip is large enough for my hands. I have also considered the expert version of the gun with the longer barrel and locking o-ring but that increases the price a couple hundred too.

The only two things I have heard people complain about is the mag release button is pushed down rather than in and the front rail is proprietary rather than picatinny. The HK45 has the picatinny rail but only has 10 in the magazine whereas the USP has 12 of 45 (13 of 40) in the magazine.

I don't think you can go wrong with it. I also like Sig Sauer (which I own a few) and am considering a 1911 also. Others like the XDM but the grip safety still bothers me.

ecocks

imported post

My wife really liked the HK USP .40 Compact. However, she ultimately chose the CZ-P06 (.40) due to it's equally comfortable grip and alloy (instead of polymer)construction. She had no interest in the rail (it has one though) since she intends for it to be her CC weapon.

Eeyore

imported post

I have very limited firing experience with the USP40C (LEM) but I shopped it heavily in the hope that I qualified for a big discount under the DHS Armed Pilots program. Once I learned I didn't qualify,I bought a S&W M&P instead (LE/military discount--what can I say, I'm cheap;)). Here's my 2 cents:

The action was silky smooth. Obviously a well-built weapon.

The ergos were OK, but the square-ish shape/size of the grip combined with the snappy .40SW recoil caused a lot of pain in the base joint of my thumb.:( I have not had the chance to shoot either the HK45 or the P30, but having handled them in the shop, both appear to have better ergos than the USP. Not sure why H&K hasn't offered the HK45/P30 design in .40SW yet, except the USP40s seem to be selling well as-is.

The trigger was good, but I think I like Sig's DAK better than H&K's LEM action. IfI could put a DAK trigger in a P30, I might just have the perfect 9mm auto. :cool:

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've shot the P2000 in a .40, and the .45 compact, and the USP .45, and handled the P30 (9mm only)... I loved all of the H&Ks that I shot, and wish the P30 came in a .40 as it is possibly the most comfortable grip in the smaller size (basically an upgraded p2000) The mag drop is actually a better design (IMHO) once you get used to it.
A bit pricey, but worth the price if you can afford it!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thefarce wrote:
The title says it all - I'm thinking about buying a .40 cal. USP for alternately OC and CC, and I'm just wondering what sort of experience anyone has carrying a USP, and I'm also trying to decide if the compact or full size would be best for my purposes.
This will be my first pistol, so I'm trying to get one that'll last, and I hear the USP is one of the most durable and long lasting weapons you'll find, but I've also heard it's somewhat overpriced...

Thoughts?

I own the USPc in 357 Sig. I got lucky and found a barely used one for $575 (you can go ahead and hate on me now:p). I own an HK USC also (and paid aheck of a lot more for it ;))and have found both to be extremely reliable and accurate. In fact, it's pretty hard to find anyone who has complaints about their HK's.

Like someone else commented, the mag release is actuated by pressing "down" instead of "in"and that can be a little annoying at first. Other than that, the controls are quite nice. I like the DA/SA and the decocker alot. Mine also has the bobbed hammer.

If you are going to want to conceal the compact IMHO is a must. The full sized pistols are pretty darn big. I'm pretty sure I remember the full sized 45 being bigger dimensionally than my full size 1911.

elenaidan

imported post

I have had All calibers in the USP line at some point. They all were fantastic. For concealed carry I like the compacts vs the full sized frames. I currently have the USP 9mm tactical. If you get the 9mm or .40 S&W you can get the funnel jet kit and mags that allow carry of around 18 rnds of 9mm and 16 for .40 s&w. The funnel Jet kit is about $90,00 and the mags are around $60. I prefer to carry the H&K P7 series due to low profile-drawback is low capacity and high price.

The Wolfhound

imported post

USPCompact .45 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. No problem making it disappear and a great shooting weapon if needed. The other calibers should be quite similar.

Landpimp

imported post

I love packin my USPc 45, I am not wild about the 40cal myself. I normaly carry in in an Alessi belt holster or Rosen shoulder rig. For CC get some flat baseplates

if you get a full size 9 or 40, you "can" get the JF but its not needed to use the higher cap mags, you can also use the 31rd 9mm mag in a 40, it will just hold less rounds

yes.......P7's rock :)

Thoreau

imported post

USP 40 has been my daily carry since I realized my XDm was just too big for comfort.

IMG_6034.jpg

Rides in an IWB Comp tac Infidel for CC (and partial OC when my shirt is tucked in) and in a Blackhawk Serpa with paddle mount for full OC.

The only thing I would change would be the manual safety, which I always leave off with the hammer down and one in the chamber. I simply don't train enough to say for sure that I would remember to disengage the safety in case of 'oh @#$%.' (Not sure if they have a safety-less version that can still decock?)

Anyway, I've probably run 1500-2000 rounds through this one in the 8 or so months I've had it and not a single malfunction of any kind with Blazer Brass, the Federal stuff that replaced Blazer at wally world, Speer Gold Dots, or the crappy Magtech stuff they sell at the range. The night sights being standard were also a very nice bonus for a carry piece =)

Mags are pretty pricey compared to some of the competition, but worth it for me to have a gun that fits me well. Next up perhaps I'll have to spring for the Jet Funnel and 16rd mags, woohoo! Speaking of mags, yeah, the mag release is definitely something to take into consideration. It's become 2nd nature for me so much so that I have caught myself trying to release the mags on my XDm the same way. I'd rather screw up on my range/fun guns than on my daily carry.

Landpimp

imported post

Thoreau wrote:

I think the LEM might be a something to think about for your USP, removes the safety(it can be left if you really wanted), gives you doulble action only but with a long take up but alsolight trigger, then a very short reset for all the rest, as well as restrike(if it dont boom the 1st time, but with a heavier pull). Very slick set up and can be had with a 5lb trigger. Kit runs $70-ish

I think I bugger my explanation....but its one of the best set ups there is for a USP for carry

Kivuli

imported post

I carry a USP .45 full size and I wouldn't have any other weapon. It's hard to conceal if you aren't a big guy like me, but if you're on this forum I'm guessing concealing it isn't necessarily what you intend anyway. :) It's well built, reliable, accurate, and easy to strip and clean. The high magazine capacity doesn't hurt either.

n664dc

imported post

I got a USPc in 9mm about a month ago as my first pistol. I carry it in a Galco FLETCH. Love the gun, have no problems with the mag release. If I had to come up with a problem it would be that it is heavier than I would like. Other than that it's a dream.