• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots fired at South Haven Picnic

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How did this happen, and When? I was there and didn't witness this!

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kalamazoo_and_battle_creek/Gun_fired_at_gun_rights_picnic

Gun fired at gun-rights picnic
Kalamazoo man faces misdemeanor

SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. (WOOD) - A Kalamazoo man is accused of discharging a handgun while attending a gun-rights picnic at South Haven's South Beach Park.

South Haven police Chief Rod Somerlott says 28-year-old Jonathan Sager was unloading his semiautomatic handgun when it went off Sept. 13 at the park, about 50 miles southwest of Grand Rapids. No one was hit.

Somerlott tells the Kalamazoo Gazette that it appears to have been an accident.

The Van Buren County prosecutor's office has charged Sager with reckless use of a firearm, a misdemeanor.

Sager was arraigned Wednesday in Van Buren County District Court. A pretrial hearing is set for Oct. 6.

He couldn't be reached for comment. A lawyer hasn't been assigned to his case and he doesn't have a published home phone number.

Not the best of ways to advance the cause! :what:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

An AD happened near the end of the picnic while a non-CPL holder was unloading his firearm so he could enter his vehicle lawfully. He was at the Picnic with some friends and family earlier in the day. This person is not a member of MOC, Inc.

This is why Michigan needs to allow any person that can lawfully own a handgun to carry it loaded in their vehicle. The less a person has to handle their firearm the less chance for an AD.

This is also a cautionary tale to always be careful when handling any firearm. It should be noted that the firearm was pointed in a safe direction (the ground) when it was fired.

That and the info in the article is all I know of at this time.

autosurgeon

imported post

There were only four of us still there when this happened... I didn't post anything as we did not know what would come out in the wash.

The four of us still there had nothing to do with the AD. We were sitting around talking and we heard a bang... I went... that better not have been a gunshot:banghead:

Well on the way home I saw the guy who did it pulled over and standing there in handcuffs while they searched his friends vehicle.

All I can say is please be VERY careful when you are handling your gun in public!!

AND I agree with Venator that is he could have left it loaded that this wouldn't have happened!

autosurgeon

imported post

It is too bad this happened but at this point all we can do is stress that we as the ambassadors of firearms rights MUST be extremely careful at all times ESP when unloading and storing in public...

I feel that If he could have got in the vehicle with it still in it's holster this wouldn't have happened at all! Also remember when you are riding with others that you must take your time and not let them rush you (NOTE I am not saying that is what happened here) but in other cases when riding with others I have forgotten things myself ... never had an AD as a result... but then I have my CPL.

Note the group of people from Kzoo that this guy was with left us at the pavilion about 10 min before I heard the shot.

T Vance

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Another point IF anyone ever has the misfortune of having this happen CALL 911 your self and do not drive anywhere!
That's exactly what I thought when I heard about it. Though it was an accident, it looks worse if you yourself don't call the police immediatly and decide to leave the scene. I understand the "person involved" was probably rattled, knew it was an accident, and probably just wanted to get out of there. We could play "shoulda, coulda, woulda" all day long. Unfortunatly it did happen. For future referrence, if this happens to anyone, follow the advice above.

autosurgeon wrote:
Oh and put your shirt on if you have it off!!
ROFL!!!

autosurgeon

imported post

I know you are wondering why I said this but hey standing half naked in handcuffs on a public street has to be more humiliating than standing there fully clothed....

IMOP :lol:

I saw this display on my way home soooo

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Another point IF anyone ever has the misfortune of having this happen CALL 911 your self and do not drive anywhere! Oh and put your shirt on if you have it off!!

Follow that with a phone call to your lawyer saying that you'll be requiring his services.

Then you'd better hope you have a few thousand for his retainer fee.

jeremy05

imported post

wow, why the hell was his finger even on the trigger, let alone pulling it, No such thing as a accidental discharge anymore. You gota come up with some pretty bazarr ways to have an AD now

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
wow, why the hell was his finger even on the trigger, let alone pulling it,  No such thing as a accidental discharge anymore.  You gota come up with some pretty bazarr ways to have an AD now

MAYBE if you drop your gun and it's a crappy one....? I dunno. Cops said this guys barrel was pointed at the ground - and they recovered a bullet fragment.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just so you know - as major of a black eye this is for OC - this guy isn't the worst by a long shot.

There was a recent member from another state that went all "cop wannabe" and ended up killing someone in "self-defense" in the middle of a drug deal.

At least this is only an ND, and there were few people around, the event was over, and no one was hurt.

T Vance

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:
wow, why the hell was his finger even on the trigger, let alone pulling it, No such thing as a accidental discharge anymore. You gota come up with some pretty bazarr ways to have an AD now

MAYBE if you drop your gun and it's a crappy one....? I dunno. Cops said this guys barrel was pointed at the ground - and they recovered a bullet fragment.
I'm not sure what happened (I wasn't there), but from what I "heard" his finger wasn'ton the trigger. I asked the same question. We may never know, it wasn't us in that situation.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
You are so right! I have two on speed dial...

Same here.

Hear that people. Plug some attorney's phone numbers into your phone. Hopefully you will never need them!

Try to commit at least one to memory.

I just keep my wife's number ingrained, and when I'm in trouble, I make her make my phone calls.

T Vance

DanM

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Another point IF anyone ever has the misfortune of having this happen CALL 911 your self and do not drive anywhere! Oh and put your shirt on if you have it off!!

I completely disagree with "call 911", and I tentatively disagree with "don't drive anywhere".

What you say on a 911 call is recorded and could be used to convict you of a crime for which you really shouldn't be held responsible. You should remain silent and let your attorney do any talking that needs to be done.

I disagree with "don't drive anywhere" IF it is not a crime to leave the scene of an AD. If it IS a crime to leave the scene of an AD, then I agree with "don't drive anywhere" or go anywhere else at all. But can someone cite the law which would make it a crimeto leave the scene of an AD?

If it is not a crime to leave the scene of an AD, then you should check to be sure no person or property was damaged and, if not, then remain or leave at your discretion.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DanM wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

I completely disagree with "call 911", and I tentatively disagree with "don't drive anywhere".

What you say on a 911 call is recorded and could be used to convict you of a crime for which you really shouldn't be held responsible.  You should remain silent and let your attorney do any talking that needs to be done.

I disagree with "don't drive anywhere" IF it is not a crime to leave the scene of an AD.  If it IS a crime to leave the scene of an AD, then I agree with "don't drive anywhere" or go anywhere else at all.  But can someone cite the law which would make it a crime to leave the scene of an AD?

If it is not a crime to leave the scene of an AD, then you should check to be sure no person or property was damaged and, if not, then remain or leave at your discretion.

I disagree with the 911 call only in that it's not an emergency - no one was injured.