• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots fired at South Haven Picnic

office888

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
There were only four of us still there when this happened... I didn't post anything as we did not know what would come out in the wash.

The four of us still there had nothing to do with the AD. We were sitting around talking and we heard a bang... I went... that better not have been a gunshot:banghead:

Well on the way home I saw the guy who did it pulled over and standing there in handcuffs while they searched his friends vehicle.

All I can say is please be VERY careful when you are handling your gun in public!!

AND I agree with Venator that is he could have left it loaded that this wouldn't have happened!
Ugh. Sad day indeed.

I was one of the people left that heard it. It actually was extremely quiet, for the close proximity we were to where it happened.

Just remember people, if you can't rack the slide and pop the one out of the chamber while the safety is engaged, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL. When that safety comes off, you're dealing with a HOT WEAPON. Make sure you THINK. If you think about what you're doing, and don't put yourself in "mindless routine mode", you should never have an AD.

1911 users like myself, you've probably all contemplated about something like this happening. Let's not let it happen again, m'kay?

-Richard-

SpringerXDacp

imported post

dougwg wrote:

My bet is on this one from the South Haven thread:

"I will be there with possibly 3 others. I will also be carrying a mew gun. I am picking up a sa-xd .40 on the 8th."

From the Brady Bunch:

"They later stopped Sager, who was riding in a friend’s pickup truck, and three friends in the 800 block of LaGrange Street."

jeremy05

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
Can we please stop calling this an AD? This was a ND all the way.

thats what im saying, you pull the trigger and the gun goes bang. Nothing accidental about it.

Also Title should be Shot Fired, not Shots. Sounds like a drama queen looking for more attention. :lol:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
Since December 2007, we've had 57 OC events not including South Haven which combined would be hundreds, if not thousands, of openly carried handguns. All 57 of these events went on without a single hiccup. I don't know what the Hell happened or the excuses why it happened, but I have to agree with you on this that it was not an AD...no such thing in my book.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Doesn't really matter who it was, it's done and nothing can be said or done to remove the "damage" from this.

Mistakes happen, we're all human, let's just be thankful that nobody was injured or worse. Thankfully at least one of the rules was followed and the bullet went a relatively safe direction.

I'm not defending this ND or making excuses, but no need to ostracize the one who did it. It happened, it sucks and it's a black eye, but we can be fairly confident that he won't be making that mistake again anytime soon. We can continue to focus on the reasons why this happened, and continue to enforce the utmost seriousness of the situation w/o singling out anymore, it's just unnecessary.

office888

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Doesn't really matter who it was, it's done and nothing can be said or done to remove the "damage" from this.

Mistakes happen, we're all human, let's just be thankful that nobody was injured or worse. Thankfully at least one of the rules was followed and the bullet went a relatively safe direction.

I'm not defending this ND or making excuses, but no need to ostracize the one who did it. It happened, it sucks and it's a black eye, but we can be fairly confident that he won't be making that mistake again anytime soon. We can continue to focus on the reasons why this happened, and continue to enforce the utmost seriousness of the situation w/o singling out anymore, it's just unnecessary.
Well put!

Most importantly, no one was injured and hopefully this will make us ALL a bit more aware. It's a huge effort for us to get positive media coverage, but takes no effort to sully our image in the public eye.

The last thing that I would want to be regarded as, is as an irresponsible gun owner.

-Richard-

G

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
What proof do you have?
Were you the one handling the weapon?
Were you even there?

Greggy_D

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Greggy_D wrote:
What proof do you have?
Were you even there?
As we all know, guns don't go off "accidentally". SOMETHING/SOMEONE pulled the trigger back/dropped the hammer (if there was one). The operator is responsible for making sure that doesn't happen whilst the firearm is being handled.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

1. Do we really know what happened, yet? Human error? Weapon malfunction?

2. I don't think reckless use of a firearm applies. He had it pointed in a safe direction, something that is hardly reckless. He was unloading it for transport in compliance with the law, something that is hardly reckless, unless (chuckle) we want to start declaring that obeying disarmement laws is reckless.

3. Regarding the anti-gunner glee, I'd rather make a mistake and still be saved by applying the remainingrules, than spend my life defenseless, immorally requiring others to risk their life defending me because I won't.

G

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Greggy_D wrote:
What proof do you have?
Were you even there?
As we all know, guns don't go off "accidentally". SOMETHING/SOMEONE pulled the trigger back/dropped the hammer (if there was one). The operator is responsible for making sure that doesn't happen whilst the firearm is being handled.
Again, what is your proof?
Was it, or was it not, you?
Were you, or were you not, present?

No answers to these direct questions.
But, you're an expert on this incident.

If you're so smart, tell us why Ruger currently has a recall going.
Why is S&W recalling weapons?
Why did CZ do a recall?
How did Michigander get shot in the leg without pulling the trigger?

These are pretty simple questions.

Someone of your half vast knowledge should be able to speculate an answer.

Orygunner

imported post

So all the open carry events, and one ND (in a safe direction and nobody got hurt) so far?

What, anotherone or two thousand NDs and the Open Carry movement be up on par with the record of LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IZlcbJwfP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aSJgcpqePk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr49Q0vBfxw

I agree, if the useless rediculous state law hadn't mandated that he unload the firearm, this sort of thing likely wouldn't have happened.

I would probably suggest to prevent this thing from happening again people not allowed by law to carry loaded in cars (or other places) should carry with just a loaded magazine and no round in the chamber. That way you just have to pop the magazine (and it doesn't add much time to the draw to rack the slide).

...Orygunner...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
SNIP I would probably suggest to prevent this thing from happening again people not allowed by law to carry loaded in cars (or other places) should carry with just a loaded magazine and no round in the chamber. That way you just have to pop the magazine (and it doesn't add much time to the draw to rack the slide).
Thatwould do it.

I think it would be easier and smarter to just learn how to operate the gun, pay close attention to what you are doing when handling a firearm, and apply the 4 Rules religiously.

Greggy_D

imported post

How do you know it was an AD?

What proof do you have?
Were you even there?

Let's not delude ourselves. What are the odds of a firearm malfunction while the operator was finger f***ing his pistol? About nil? Why would you defend this infinitesimal percentage of odds that it was an AD?

autosurgeon

imported post

Look it was a springfield XD .40 grip safety and trigger disconnect safety... no thumb safety.

It went off. It is done and the fruits will blab about it for a few days... then something else will happen like a cop shooting a druggy during a drug bust and this will be forgotten...

Just sayin..

Also I am sure that the fellow that did this has kicked himself 6 ways from Sunday on this one so lets not kick the man any more!

However there is nothing wrong with discussing how to keep this from happening again!!

G

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
How do you know it was an AD?

What proof do you have?
Were you even there?

Let's not delude ourselves. What are the odds of a firearm malfunction while the operator was finger f***ing his pistol? About nil? Why would you defend this infinitesimal percentage of odds that it was an AD?
It has happened to people right here in this forum that were not finger f***ing their pistols. These are mechanical objects that are known to malfunction.

I had a SA revolver AD. After fully cocking it, without finger f***ing the trigger, the hammer dropped. The transfer bar that was supposed to prevent firing without pulling the trigger broke. Of course I was aiming at my target while doing this. It was not a ND. It was a AD caused by a defective safety feature of the revolver.

I'm not saying to give the guy a pass. I'm just not for wrongfully accusing him without adequate information. What was the make and model of the pistol? There may be more to this. The chief even called it an accident. It's the prosecutor that's going for ND. And I think there's already some firsthand experience with over zealous prosecutors by people in this forum.