• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying "Special" Guns

brianstone1985

imported post

Ok I'm gonna catch some shit for this one but....

My brother has been in the military for about 8 years now and as such has access to buy guns that I cannot. I think this is very un-fair and a few times he has wanted to sell his guns but claims that he could not sell to me as most are military/police purchase only.

So this will turn into a discussion I'm sure but first please answer these questions;

1. Could my brother sell these firearms to me knowing I am non-military/police?

2. Can one continue to buy these "special" firearms for the rest of their life after being military or police? Or do you have to be active?

3. What would be the easiest way for me to gain this freedom that the government does not want me to have because I am not one of the guys in blue or Camo? Could I get this privilege by simply being a local volunteer sheriffs deputy?

This is un-fair and unconstitutional as I am a better shot and far more responsible than many of my buddies in the military. And where in the constitution does it say I have the right to bear arms, but those arms have to be less effective than that of police or military.

Poop. Poop I tell you.

Hammer

imported post

Are these .38 Special?
.44 Special?
I don't know of a gun classification that is separate for military personnel. They may be able to use and fire weapons of classes other than ordinarily permitted in WA state, but weapons of that nature are owned by the US gov't, not the individual soldier.

brianstone1985 wrote:
Ok I'm gonna catch some @#$% for this one but....

My brother has been in the military for about 8 years now and as such has access to buy guns that I cannot. I think this is very un-fair and a few times he has wanted to sell his guns but claims that he could not sell to me as most are military/police purchase only.

So this will turn into a discussion I'm sure but first please answer these questions;

1. Could my brother sell these firearms to me knowing I am non-military/police?

2. Can one continue to buy these "special" firearms for the rest of their life after being military or police? Or do you have to be active?

3. What would be the easiest way for me to gain this freedom that the government does not want me to have because I am not one of the guys in blue or Camo? Could I get this privilege by simply being a local volunteer sheriffs deputy?

This is un-fair and unconstitutional as I am a better shot and far more responsible than many of my buddies in the military. And where in the constitution does it say I have the right to bear arms, but those arms have to be less effective than that of police or military.

Poop. Poop I tell you.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

brianstone1985 wrote:
Ok I'm gonna catch some @#$% for this one but....

Maybe, uhm, ......maybe he doesn't really want to sell them to you....

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Just because he's military doesn't mean he's able to buy anything you can't buy. The only thing that might do that is a FFL (Federal Firearms License) that would allow him to buy a fully automatic weapon or buy a gun through the mail.

The next time he says that BS just tell him his eyes are brown and his breath stinks.

Edited to remove offensive content.

bcp

imported post

My brother has been in the military for about 8 years now and as such has access to buy guns that I cannot.
Not true, to the best of my knowledge.

Can you give an example?

Bruce

G27

imported post

If you're talking about items that are marked LE/MILITARY only such as magazines, those restrictions have passed long ago. If you're talking about sights or other gun parts, those are typically just because military/LE receive a discount on such item (we're talking about all items you of course could buy at full price, though). If you're talking about silencers, fully automatic guns, or ray guns then your brother is full of it. First off anyone can buy a silencer in WA as long as the appropriate paper work is filled out and you're eligible. No one, not even military or LE, are allowed to be in possession of a fully automatic weapon unless they are working and on official business.

oldkim

imported post

So, can you give an example? What special he can get.

For the special military deal - can he buy an M1A2 main battle tank????

There are several companies and stores that will give a discount rate or special rateto active military and LEO's. Just ask before you buy. I know the Marksman in Tacoma has a whole counter full of LEO/Military rated guns.

joeroket

imported post

Some manufactures, like Sig, have, or used to have, firearms that they would only allow their authorized dealers to sell to mil/leo. It is not because of anything special about the firearm but it is simply a marketing gimmick that works pretty well for them.

Hammer

imported post

Y'know, he may have just been honestly mistaken-
trying to put it in the best light, and my opinion is there is a significant difference in deliberate malignment of the truth, and a simple mistake.
But you know him much better than I!

brianstone1985 wrote:
Working on example now... patience please...

In the end I now realize he was for some reason probably lying to me... Perhaps it was marked military/LE for the magazine.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hammer wrote:
....there is a significant difference in deliberate malignment of the truth, and a simple mistake.

Unless it is a LEO who doesn't know the law regarding OC!

;)

G27

imported post

David.Car wrote:
G27 wrote:
No one, not even military or LE, are allowed to be in possession of a fully automatic weapon unless they are working and on official business.
In WA State.
Does anyone really care what happens outside of Washington State?! :lol: I don't ever plan on leaving. I mean we got deserts, mountains, rain forests, marine climate... everything! I don't need anything else!

Johnny Law

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Some manufactures, like Sig, have, or used to have, firearms that they would only allow their authorized dealers to sell to mil/leo. It is not because of anything special about the firearm but it is simply a marketing gimmick that works pretty well for them.
Several manufacturers still do offer some oftheir guns as LE sales only. Once they have been purchased, theLE can then sell them to whoever they choose. These are not "special" guns, but merely a special package/configuration (night sights, more mags etc.)usually withamuch betterprice.

G27 wrote:
No one, not even military or LE, are allowed to be in possession of a fully automatic weapon unless they are working and on official business.
Actually LE can (and do) possess full auto/select fire weapons even when not on duty or official business. The weapons are issued to the individual Officers, and they keep them in their patrol cars while working, and in their safe's/house when not. They are not turned in at the end of the day, and are yours to have and use even off duty.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

G27 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
G27 wrote:
In WA State.
Does anyone really care what happens outside of Washington State?! :lol: I don't ever plan on leaving. I mean we got deserts, mountains, rain forests, marine climate... everything! I don't need anything else!

And coffee.......don't forget coffee.......Lots and lots of coffee :quirky:celebrate

Actually LE can (and do) possess full auto/select fire weapons even when not on duty or official business. The weapons are issued to the individual Officers, and they keep them in their patrol cars while working, and in their safe's/house when not. They are not turned in at the end of the day, and are yours to have and use even off duty.

My father did something like this with a Steyr while on the police dept. He was able to keep it. I wish I knew more specifics. Maybe my brother can chime in and add more. Mind you, he just recently resigned from active duty at 78 years old!

Cheers,
Bill

Logan80

imported post

I know that one of the local gun shops around here has an entire section/counter area that hold LE/Mil ONLY pistols. They are 100% exactly the same as the ones in the other section, however the prices are LE/Mil only. Required by Glock, Springfield, etc. to sell to only those that are LE/Mil and they have to document it.

The purchaser can of course do whatever they please with the guns after they own them.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
G27 wrote:
RCW 9.41.190Unlawful firearms — Exceptions.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any peace officer in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty, or to any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington in the discharge of official duty or traveling to or from official duty;

brianstone1985

imported post

Thanks for all the advice and counsel! I have done some of my own research with the info provided and agree with everyone else here it wasnt some special gun but rather some extra equipment that came with the HK 2000 at a special price.

:)

Problem solved.

I'm still thinking of being a volunteer sheriff though... might be fun.