• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation with Middletown Police Officer

Lou

imported post

To say that I am pleasantly suprised is an understatement.....I was speaking with an aquaintance of mine, who is a Middletown Police Officer, and while telling him about this site, and the CCDL, I made mention that I recently found out that open carry was legal in the state of CT, and his reply to me was "Yeah, absolutely, as long as you have your permit, there's no problem at all!!!!" Now this officer has only been out of the academy for about a year, which goes to show me that perhaps...just perhaps....the LEO's are getting the proper training on this subject....either from their Department, or from the academy....

romma

imported post

Be nice to hear that this was across the board... Lou, anyway if you can ask you Cop friend if that was cirriculum material? Or is his understanding founded on his personal research?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I used to live in Middletown. (lived in West Haven when at Yale.) In the '70's my first wife and I rented a big old house on High St. Connecticut is the only northern state of residence I have any nostalgic feelings for, since it seemed substantially less repressive and more reasonable a place to live than (shiver) Massachusetts was. I guess I'm not too surprised, but pleased, to hear that you had a good experience with Middletown's finest. Though I had no direct experience with them, and certainly never OC'd then, I had the impression they were decent sorts from what I recall. Now, Massacusetts was a whole different story. While I can imagine OC in CT, I'm pretty sure OC will always be just a fantasy for the unfortunate subjects of the Bay State. You guys need to do whatever you can to make sure CT never goes the way of your neighbor to the north.

I always enjoyed the aroma of nutmeg...

Lou

imported post

next time I see him I will most certainly remember to ask...

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

That is exactly what the Chief of Police in Stratford said when I asked him. Then I showed him proof of it being legal.

I hope that you explained to him that he was wrong!

ESCH

imported post

romma wrote:
Be nice to hear that this was across the board... Lou, anyway if you can ask you Cop friend if that was cirriculum material? Or is his understanding founded on his personal research?
Lou, if you are still out there, Being the first time I have heard someone say that they have met an officer who understands the law as written, I am interested to know if he knew this all along or if hewas recently informed. Please let us know.