Thread: ride along open carry ????

Post imported post

Why isit illegel to open carry on a police ride along but cc is ok doesnt that violate state law ???? whats the real law. i have never got a real responce from any agency that states its illegal to open carry on a ride along ?????

Post imported post

Forget the law, it doesn't matter. It is against the policy of the department to have armed civilian ride-alongs. I'm sure this holds true for every department everywhere. Think along the lines of liability, officer safety, etc.

You have the right to be armed. You don't have a right to a ride along. The policemay allow you to do a ride along, but under their rules. Want to carry, fine...not in their car.

Post imported post

Law takes a back seat to safety on a ride along regarding civilian carry. You are there as an observer with no police powers real or imagined. It is against department policy for every one I have ridden with. Read the liability release, you are riding as a guest under their rules.

Make a choice, carry or ride along and learn something cool and new. I have no problem leaving my gun in the trunk of my car when I go for a ride along.

Post imported post

I have done ride alongs in Prescott Valley AZ, and OKC while lawfully CC. It might be worth checking some different departments to see if one is ok with it.

Post imported post

I don't know of any Dept's in Idaho who would let you carry during a ride along. Read the ride along forms or ask the cop.

Post imported post

Eric. wrote:
    I have done ride alongs in Prescott Valley AZ, and OKC while lawfully CC. It might be worth checking some different departments to see if one is ok with it.
    Was the officer you were with aware that you were CC? Honestly, I've never heard of any department anywhere allowing the ride along to be armed, until this.

Post imported post

absolutely. I didn't personally check the dept regulations, only asked the respective officers, who both thought it was fine.

Post imported post

I'd be surprised if medium-sized police departments like Meridian, Caldwellor Nampa allowed CC or OC during a ride-along. Smaller, less formal departments, especially where personal relationsips affect procedures probably don't get too officious but between the safety and liability factors I would not expect to carry on a ride-along.

Has anyone done these in the Boise area?

Post imported post

I have CC'd during a ride along with the BPD. I was never asked if I had a weapon or asked to not carry one, though I didn't volunteer the information either. The officer knows me on a personal level and could reasonably assume I was armed, but it was never brought up.

How does our preemption law apply to this? Can they deny one person simply for having a gun while accepting other law abiding citizens who are not disqualified from a ride along? I really don't know. I think it may fall into the category of privledge vs. right. I don't have a right to ride along with the police department, so they can probably deny you legally. Wheras I have a right to use the public transporation system and other government services that are provided with my taxes. I MIGHT be willing to ride along without being armed if I could convince the officer or department to sign something assuming full responsibility for my safety, but I distincly remember having to sing something myself that releases them from this kind of liabilty.

Post imported post

My experience was like Eric.s. In Seattle, I CC'd my Auto Ordinance .45 and it was no problem. The officer had to take me through the back area to get to the car and he was required to hold on to it through the station, so I imagine that it was a non-issue.

This was fifteen years ago, though. Things may have changed quite a bit.

Post imported post

I know a few people who have carried during a ride along with Latah County Sheriffs office and one guy who carried with Moscow PD. According to those guys it is against the policy of both departments but the officers they rode with allowed it. I don't know which officers it was. One Latah officer never said a word about it until they got to the jail and then told him to put all guns in the safe so they could go into the jail, my friend wasn't carrying on that particular trip but thought it was funny the officer just seemed to mention it as an afterthought and didn't care if he was carrying or not.